Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowmadsam

Iphone 5 - Your Thoughts

discuss your thoughts on iPhone 5 here

Lol @ Apple milking the iPhone 5. It's basically an iPhone 4, with a 0.5 inch bigger screen. I feel sorry for the people who spend £700 on this phone from such a greedy company. I'll stick with my iPhone 4 thanks Apple.

That was my status on Facebook. My opinion hasn't changed. Apple are milking everything for everything it's got.

Wow, lighter and 0.5 inches taller. Well worth the £569 price tag........

Same old same old but lighter from what I can gather. Won't stop thousands of people queuing up to be the first to have one and then in a years time there will be the Iphone 6 and this will be left in a drawer somewhere........

Same thoughts as backtrack. I'm an android fan anyway, but I can't see what significant changes have been made. New connector that isn't industry standard? I know it's an obvious thing to say, but it's clear to see where Apples priorities are.

I'll be very interested to see what they price it as.

Are Apple actually stating to run out of ideas? No doubt they'll try sueing Google for having panorama pictures on Android first (we've had it for months)

I like it personally..it will be the first iPhone I own...gonna make it last 2 years :)

I have never rated the iPhone, I did have a 3gs which put me off them as it was rubbish!

I'll stick with my Sony Xperia S thanks, which outperforms the iPhones for a few hundred £ less biggrin.png

A phones a phone but I believe the iPhone isn't really phone, in fact it's everything but a phone. Everything works fine on them apart from calling people and receiving people, its ridiculous. I got a samsung s2 a few months ago and its vastly better.

A phones a phone but I believe the iPhone isn't really phone, in fact it's everything but a phone. Everything works fine on them apart from calling people and receiving people, its ridiculous. I got a samsung s2 a few months ago and its vastly better.

You should try having a blackberry! I have a BB Curve with work and it is absolute rubbish I would almost be willing to take a pay cut if the company moved over to Iphones. Trying to make a call is random as the main button is so sensitive that when pressed whilst hovering over the number you want to call it suddenly shoots to some other contact and rings them instead. It also seems to get tired after around 15mins of a call and cuts off, on second handset in six months and current one still does it. Arghh!

Not that I'm cross about it in any way

M

Wow, lighter and 0.5 inches taller. Well worth the £569 price tag........

Indeed!

One detects a hint of desperation there also, the likes of Samsung and HTC must really be starting to eat away at them.

I would disagree with Apple being greedy. They're just taking advantage of the moronic sheep that will pay over the odds for something that is identical to the previous models. If I was a big wig at Apple I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

I would disagree with Apple being greedy. They're just taking advantage of the moronic sheep that will pay over the odds for something that is identical to the previous models. If I was a big wig at Apple I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

^^^ what he said smile.png

And here's a sneak preview of the iPhone 10:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/13/iphone-10/

You should try having a blackberry! I have a BB Curve with work and it is absolute rubbish I would almost be willing to take a pay cut if the company moved over to Iphones. Trying to make a call is random as the main button is so sensitive that when pressed whilst hovering over the number you want to call it suddenly shoots to some other contact and rings them instead. It also seems to get tired after around 15mins of a call and cuts off, on second handset in six months and current one still does it. Arghh!

Not that I'm cross about it in any way

M

Same here, they are trash!

Back to using my 3Gs, brilliant in my opinion.

Will be getting a 4 next I think.

Guy at work has manage to get one....i'm not so sure its as small as they claim???

post-2495-0-32940900-1347628985_thumb.jp

I just purchased an iphone 4S yesterday after I heard about the 5....not impressed enough, not enough change. Got it for $99. I cant be bothered with the adapter needed to change the docking etc. I know I will have to eventually but not now thanks.

I think I'm the only person in the world who's never owned an Apple product, or a smartphone. 4g, I think my phone is 1g wacko.png

I got the first 2g iPhone progressed the 4g from 3g and I've been nothing but dissapointed by iPhones since I've got a new nokia 800! What a awesome phone!

I got the first 2g iPhone progressed the 4g from 3g and I've been nothing but dissapointed by iPhones since I've got a new nokia 800! What a awesome phone!

I think I'm the only person in the world who's never owned an Apple product, or a smartphone. 4g, I think my phone is 1g wacko.png

No, there are two of us!good.gif

How long does the battery last?

A phone that needs charging every day is as useful as a car that does 30 miles to the tank.

For now, I'll stick with my cheapy from Vodafone that lasts a good 3 or 4 weeks on standby and gives me a week of light use (occasional calls and internet access). Might be slow, and might not have any apps. But at least it works aways from an electricity supply!

Oh, and what's the point in 4g when half the country isn't even covered by 3g? Least of all the areas it's most useful.

Blimey, I'd get tired after 15 minutes on one phone call!

Largely just keeping up with Samsung and HTC as the 4s was.

I will be getting an SGS3, i see little reason to go for the Iphone.

One thing to note for high end phones in general is that it works out significantly cheaper over 2 years to buy the handset and get a sim-only plan.

Wow, must be good, you've said it 3 times!

Actually, I have the Lumia 800. It's an awesome phone, better than the iPhone 4 IMO, now they're fixing the issue of having limited apps for the Windows OS. I wouldn't have bought it mind you, I won it from a Nokia competition!

Reason why nobody buys Nokia; well if you want a low-middle priced but tech-packed phone you go for Samsung/HTC etc., if you want the more expensive premium product you go for Apple. Not many go in between it appears. Also Nokia isn't "cool" anymore. But most people don't even bat an eyelid at the Nokia smartphones in the first place; they don't know what they're missing IMO.

Im never going to buy an Apple product. Yes they are good looking and are very good quality, and typically have some new technology, but paying in excess of 50% more than everything else is just ridiculous.

Also worth pointing out, my Lumia 800's battery can last 4 or 5 days on standby, very good for a smartphone.

Nokia lost their way by not improving symbian which ended up being very clunky and very dated.

As for sim only this depends entirely how often you use the phone. In my case I might as well buy the phone as the contract works out more expensive. For some my friends it's a different case.

Nokia lost their way by not improving symbian which ended up being very clunky and very dated.

As for sim only this depends entirely how often you use the phone. In my case I might as well buy the phone as the contract works out more expensive. For some my friends it's a different case.

Well yes, the symbian OS was a bit slow, I had a Nokia 5230 that used it before I had the Lumia.

Hard to believe the Lumia was £400 on PAYG when it came out! ohmy.png They realised their mistake and quickly dropped the price, sharply, and then began chucking in expensive free stuff with the phone. Wasn't enough it appears. IMO, they didn't exactly help themselves when they gave out so many free ones as part of the Amazing Collective (the competition on which I won on), which apparently amounted to hundreds in the UK.

But yes as you say, depends on how you use the phone. I would be quite happy to stay on PAYG tbh, but found a cheaper contract recently so switched to that.

Software wise it comes down to preference.

Hardware wise the Iphone 5, SGS3 and HTC One x are top, followed by a number of phones.

Given that for £10 per month on sim only i get 300 mins, 3000 texts and 1gb internet i would need a contract of less than £20 on the SGS3 for 24 months to work out cheaper.