Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Turned Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Some suppliers actually give you a meter that shows what power you are using as my parents have one sat in the kitchen. I think you attach a transmitter thing to the meter and it beams the info to the base unit. Not sure about gas but works for electricity. I want one but hoping my supplier sends one free rather than me buying one.

Info: http://www.which.co....tors-explained/

I'm very careful with power usage and do all I can to save it (much to the annoyance of the missus!). My weather station keeps me informed on indoor temps so I know the moment it gets warmer out than in that I must immediately open the door/windows to get the warmth in the house. Same goes as it cools - shut everything the moment it drops to 21c outside after a warm day. Got 4+ years of data logged on the place and corresponding spreadsheet - yep sad that I am!

The rent has been £425 for 20 years and never adjusted... used to be family home but they moved out and landlord said as long as our name is on rent he won't change it because best tenant he ever had so me and brother share it now. On top of that we can do anything we want to land and property without asking. Similar in the area would also be 1500 ish too and can't afford to buy in area when average is 300k.

Yes we are cut into the side of hill north east facing so see no sunlight from october through to marh which is also great for laying snow but not for heating! Thanks for cheap ideas though I shall look into insulating cutains etc. good.gif

Posted

Walking around in a t-shirt today and all the windows and doors are open. It's still too warm by a long way. Meanwhile,the missus and kid have been bleating about being cold. Sorted that out by getting her to cut the grass and him to bounce around on the trampoline whilst I view proceedings from the window with tea and biscuits. I guarantee they'll come back in moaning about being too warm....

Posted

Walking around in a t-shirt today and all the windows and doors are open. It's still too warm by a long way. Meanwhile,the missus and kid have been bleating about being cold. Sorted that out by getting her to cut the grass and him to bounce around on the trampoline whilst I view proceedings from the window with tea and biscuits. I guarantee they'll come back in moaning about being too warm....

you sound an absolute 21st century charmer?

Posted

I wonder?

ever heard of compromise?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

ever heard of compromise?

No,it ends in frustration and lack of closure on both sides. Anyways,the kid's got his pal around and they are still bouncing up and down on the trampoline instead of stagnating in front of the telly/Xbox. The missus has made a cracking job of the lawn and is babbling on about a sense of achievement,and best of all neither of them are moaning about being cold anymore. Told ya they'd thank me for it. Now she's got the pots to wash.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

You sound like a charming husband laserguy!

Posted

You sound like a charming husband laserguy!

Not married but she's still with me and still loves me (she sez!) after 22 years so I must be doing something right! You gotta be mean and show 'em who's boss,they love that sorta thing. Ye,I know - I've now got it to come from NW's female contingent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Heating is controlled by thermostat,.In The morning on arising and again evening.Daytime the jumper gets thicker....Off at night for the moment...Up goes the price in October

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Central heating now in regular evening use especially when getting home late.

Still not set the clock for the morning just yet although this morning was a close one what with everything dripping in condensation. Milder tonight so will leave it off upon going to bed. Sat night looks cold but never so bad when you're not getting up for work next day!

Posted

Last night was coldest yet in the house, arrived home about 6pm to be greeted by a toasty 14c in house so heating went on for 2 hours dragging it up to around 17c

Needless to say I kept my coat on until I went to bed.

Posted

I feel pretty cold this morning but I haven't put the heating on just yet.. but I think I will soon.

Posted

The rent has been £425 for 20 years and never adjusted... used to be family home but they moved out and landlord said as long as our name is on rent he won't change it because best tenant he ever had so me and brother share it now. On top of that we can do anything we want to land and property without asking. Similar in the area would also be 1500 ish too and can't afford to buy in area when average is 300k.

Yes we are cut into the side of hill north east facing so see no sunlight from october through to marh which is also great for laying snow but not for heating! Thanks for cheap ideas though I shall look into insulating cutains etc. good.gif

British Gas & some others will insulate (Cavity & roof) for free....sometimes depending on circumstances. My Landlord agreed and this was well done.

Next best thing was a DEHUMIDIFIER. It's 200watts to run.... but chucks the latent heat back into the room in the dried air!

So it costs virtually nothing to run. HOWEVER; you can then ventilate much less as there is little need to dispose of all the water vapour from cooking washing breathing etc. This seemed to make big savings and you can be comfortable in lower temperatures once the air is dry. Got rid of mould problems too.

I got mine from dry-it-out.com and they seemed very good.

Len

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Well I've had ice on the car the past two mornings in a row (first icy morning was a couple of weeks back) and so I have unashamedly got the heating coming on now! Only in the morning at 5am for 45mins, but I refuse to wake up in an ice-box and even him indoors isn't grumping about it! tease.gif

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

I have a good tolerance to cold, in the study it is 15C in here as I am typing........now to a lot of people that would feel very cold but I am ok with a woolly jumper and hot drinks/food.

A couple of layers and you're fine in October, a good 13.5 tog duvet does the trick aswell!

When Winter comes I can relax by putting the heating on whenever I like knowing I've saved a few bob this Autumn by not having it on very often.

Edited by Alan Medlock Valley

Posted

British Gas & some others will insulate (Cavity & roof) for free....sometimes depending on circumstances. My Landlord agreed and this was well done.

Next best thing was a DEHUMIDIFIER. It's 200watts to run.... but chucks the latent heat back into the room in the dried air!

So it costs virtually nothing to run. HOWEVER; you can then ventilate much less as there is little need to dispose of all the water vapour from cooking washing breathing etc. This seemed to make big savings and you can be comfortable in lower temperatures once the air is dry. Got rid of mould problems too.

I got mine from dry-it-out.com and they seemed very good.

Len

Would british gas do that though if we don't have a gas supply in area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

My heating is on now, but thats at the wife's request....I suggested putting on a thicker jumper but she wasn't having any of it!

Posted

I have a good tolerance to cold, in the study it is 15C in here as I am typing........now to a lot of people that would feel very cold but I am ok with a woolly jumper and hot drinks/food.

A couple of layers and you're fine in October, a good 13.5 tog duvet does the trick aswell!

When Winter comes I can relax by putting the heating on whenever I like knowing I've saved a few bob this Autumn by not having it on very often.

I can tolerate being chilly inside the house for a long time, but eventually I just want to feel cosy and warm, so I turn it on for a few minutes. Any longer and I will get too warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Put it on for half hour last night after getting home and it just took the chill off (raising it from about 16c to 18c).

This morning it fell to 15.2c but the sun is out and directly falling on the both of us as we have breakfast so it isn't on at the moment despite it only being 16.5c.

We call these the 'golden hours' from about 9am till 11am where sunlight actually penetrates into the house and warms it. Struggling to see the screen & budgies are going crazy (they love it!) but refuse to block any of the precious radiation out as this is 'free' heating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Put it on for half hour last night after getting home and it just took the chill off (raising it from about 16c to 18c).

This morning it fell to 15.2c but the sun is out and directly falling on the both of us as we have breakfast so it isn't on at the moment despite it only being 16.5c.

We call these the 'golden hours' from about 9am till 11am where sunlight actually penetrates into the house and warms it. Struggling to see the screen & budgies are going crazy (they love it!) but refuse to block any of the precious radiation out as this is 'free' heating!

I like 'free heating'! I have a conservatory connecting to the lounge - it usually gets up to about 23c this time of the year if its a sunny day, so I unleash the warmth in to the rest of the house before sunset. I think housing companies should start building glass houses good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I like 'free heating'! I have a conservatory connecting to the lounge - it usually gets up to about 23c this time of the year if its a sunny day, so I unleash the warmth in to the rest of the house before sunset. I think housing companies should start building glass houses good.gif

We recently had new doors fitted across our conservatory (2 months ago) and have just done the same thing today. Before we had the doors fitted, it was good in the day (when sunny) but lost all our heat through the night, plus on cloudy day's.

Posted

Back door still wide open tonight :)

btw has anyone tried these new fanged things called clothes? They're great!