Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But let's be honest with ourselves, for a minute...When was the last Autumn in which we were not being told that 'all the prerequisites were in place' for a snow-fest winter? The snowcasters were right in 2010 and 2011, but the rest of the time they tend to be woefully off-target with their predictions...

It's still only September!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

joe laminate floori always pridicting a harsh winter every year.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't far from the truth last year and mentioned this year was to be 'worse'. I am open to correction, however.

laminate floori is tickling me I must say.

Edited by Thunder_Bolt

Posted

But let's be honest with ourselves, for a minute...When was the last Autumn in which we were not being told that 'all the prerequisites were in place' for a snow-fest winter? The snowcasters were right in 2010 and 2011, but the rest of the time they tend to be woefully off-target with their predictions...

It's still only September!

Not unlike every spring when, apparently, all the prerequisites are in place for a sun and heat-fest summer.

Shades of 76?

Edited by rob48

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not unlike every spring when, apparently, all the prerequisites are in place for a sun and heat-fest sumer.

Shades of 76?

Aye rob...An awful lot of Snowmageddons and BBQ summers do find their way down the toilet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Not unlike every spring when, apparently, all the prerequisites are in place for a sun and heat-fest sumer.

Shades of 76?

Thats because there's no money to be made by saying its going to pretty average..i could say that every year and be right more often than not...but would it get me noticed?..of course not!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I love snow and frost as much as anyone but expectations need to be held down.

In the UK we are never going to get a Canadian type Winter where we are situated- on the edge of the Atlantic.

The 1962/3 Winter was the closest i experienced to that for both it`s severity and longevity and that was 50 years ago!

So for me a once in a lifetime event i would think.

We need to remember that the cold spells of 09/10 and Dec.10 were exceptions to the main rule of UK mildness in comparison to our latitude.

We may see some snow and cold but it`s too early to take any signals from what we see in any model runs yet-that includes the CFS which imo is very much experimental.

One of the better long term guides will be the Stratosphere state but monitoring will not begin until later in October.

There are so many influences which affect the patterns but i do believe the Stratosphere is one of the main levers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Not sure what you all think of Joe laminate floori's weather predictions but I remember him saying before last winter that 2012-13 European Winter could be the start of some harsh winters to come. I'm sure he said that this coming winter in particular was predicted to be harsh, although that was a year ago. I'm stuggling to find the article. Who knows eh? I sure hope he's right!

EDIT: Ha ha, not sure why I cant write Joe's surname but it keeps saving laminate floori instead.

I know he made a video back in 2010 saying how since 2012/13 would be a winter coming out of La Nina the chances of significant cold (across the US anyway) were enhanced based on past events, is that what you were referring to?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

107 posts in a winter thread by September 14th!

It's going to be a long season! Lol.

( and hopefully a cold one )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm sure we can do better than 107, keep the winter talk coming, long range eye candy! Memories flowing :)

Posted

If it snows on Christmas day..I will lay in it..NAKED biggrin.png

I'll hold you to that :p, i just want snow, i love model watching when winter is on the way, looking at charts, and then watching radar images to see where it is and is it gonna land on where i live and then walking in the snow taking photographs :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Yes my predictions

The first if T384 varifies we could get snow at lower levels (12th October)

The first will it snow in my region on Christmas day (14th October)

The first Winters over (8th November)

The first it didnt snow in Cork once (8th April)

Edited by stewfox

Posted

I'll hold you to that blum.gif, i just want snow, i love model watching when winter is on the way, looking at charts, and then watching radar images to see where it is and is it gonna land on where i live and then walking in the snow taking photographs smile.png

Except when they keep showing a prominent azores high with all the good stuff either being pushed back or downgraded lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I believe the signs are are there. I reckon we will have a much better winter than last year. Will be as good as 09/10 or 10/11?? I think it has a shot.......

Posted

Except when they keep showing a prominent azores high with all the good stuff either being pushed back or downgraded lol.

Very true, but even when they show that sort off weather, i keep watching in hope they will change, i have faith!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes my predictions

The first if T384 varifies we could get snow at lower levels (12th October)

The first will it snow in my region on Christmas day (14th October)

The first Winters over (8th November)

The first it didnt snow in Cork once (8th April)

The first 'GFS 18z is gonna be an 80's run' November 20th

Posted

I believe the signs are are there. I reckon we will have a much better winter than last year. Will be as good as 09/10 or 10/11?? I think it has a shot.......

Nothing very scientific in this but i have a good feeling, No Nina this year and just have a gut feeling, something just tells me, im not saying a bitter winter overall but i just have a feeling for a really big snow event.

Posted

Nothing very scientific in this but i have a good feeling, No Nina this year and just have a gut feeling, something just tells me, im not saying a bitter winter overall but i just have a feeling for a really big snow event.

Nothing wrong with a"gut feeling", probably as accurate as any LRF currently on the net or elsewhere.

Posted

I thought the conflict between the two was an act, and Tommy Boyd was sacked because Ash put thru a call from a listener who wished harm upon the Queen, a breach of protocol.

I thought the Zoo was great, everyone let loose, terrific idea on the night before most started work the next day, I was truly hooked

And Whale with this paranormal segments, top class radio!!

Stand corrected then, should it not have been Ash who was sacked then, i did not like boyd really, i did not like his political views but the human zoo was funny, ive managed to find the John Gaunt Sacked interview but cannot find the Tommy boyd one.

Here is a Boyd caller, totally agree with the Welsh woman here but what was she doing phoning the human zoo, she should have waited another 12 hours and she could have phoned Dickin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

1961-62: The year proceeding the 'big' one. Snow in the Christmas week, widespread with London and the South East seeing 6 inches (very similar to last year). Early January in the Midlands saw 14 inches of snow. Snow in March also, especially Scotland, but 10 inches recorded in Jersey! Average.

This is what Netweather had to say about that winter before the famous winter of '63, it sounds very familiar to 2010 with snow in the Christmas week (18th Dec), 6+ inches were recorded that night as well. The winter as a whole was considered average after a cold December...again very similar to 2010...could it be this year we see another BIG ONE?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I think perhaps the very poor summer that we've just had to endure may be the reason for the early interest being invested into this coming winter?

I'm looking forward to the winter season as much as the next person but I do think everyone needs to stay in touch with reality on the subject - It's September, FAR to early to be wearing the snow tinted specs and getting excitable or some of us won't even make it to winter!! Long long road to travel yet.... :D

Posted

Wouldn't mind seeing a fax chart like this.. This was just over a day after 25cm landed in my area smile.png

post-15543-0-25237000-1347656744_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

It is funny you should say that feb1991blizzard as I have had a gut feeling for a truly memorable winter too. I didn't want to say anything on this forum for fear of being ridiculed. I do love this forum, all the banter and the build up to my favourite season. Although I'll probably be divorced by the end of it! Okay I am going to nail my shirt to the mast and go for a winter comparable with that of 62/63, live by the sword, die by the sword, that's what I say! 😄