Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wind just starting to pick up here as I can hear whatever the heck it is that rattles on our office roof rattling away.......no need for models or pressure guages or internet data just the noise of the rattling thingmyjiggy. Fairplay OTR lets see if your still doing it in December when its -20 blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Things starting to kick up a gear here now. 11.3oC, Wind ENE latest gust 30mph, pressure steady at 996mb. Rain quite heavy, although it doesn't appear so looking at the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

East Coast getting a good soaking, this from 06am today to 8am tomorrow morning.

Main band starts to hit the Borders around 21:00 and gets heavier overnight.

post-7292-0-21838200-1348490325_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi everyone I'm from down south, my sister is flying up to Glasgow and then on to Mull today… what's the weather like up there for small light aircraft on the second leg of her trip? I know if it's really bad they'd cancel, but it would be nice to be prepared.

Posted

Hello Iceni - Mull not as breezy as some areas on the other side of the country. The main swathe of wind not kicking in on the west coast until Tuesday.

Here are a couple of projections from GFS using the google map on Wunderground. You can see the area in red for Tuesday afernoon where things really pick up.

As always check the latest Meto warnings http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Monday 1800 / Tuesday 0900

post-7292-0-87900500-1348491280_thumb.pn post-7292-0-51508000-1348491293_thumb.pn

Just a typical windy Autumn day here..

Posted

Hello Iceni - Mull not as breezy as some areas on the other side of the country. The main swathe of wind not kicking in on the west coast until Tuesday.

Here are a couple of projections from GFS using the google map on Wunderground. You can see the area in red for Tuesday afernoon where things really pick up.

As always check the latest Meto warnings http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Monday 1800 / Tuesday 0900

post-7292-0-87900500-1348491280_thumb.pn post-7292-0-51508000-1348491293_thumb.pn

Just a typical windy Autumn day here..

Thank you so much Lorenzo. I know we like to ramp up quite a bit on here when there's some winter in the offing, but the Media are FAR worse than us. Would you believe down south they're all jumping up and down forecasting Armageddon over a bit of normal autumn weather? Really off the scale.

I think it's because they're so overpaid they go abroad too much and expect Britain to be just like St.Tropez — big surprise when it's a bit cold or breezy or it rains. They're ridiculous!

Yes we had a mildly squally rainstorm about an hour ago, now it's drizzling. But that's it. I will now phone my sister and tell her things will be fine.

Posted

To be fair Iceni, someone died after being hit by a falling tree and this system has the potential to keep on delivering solid rainfall for some hours, leading to serious flooding. Yes there is media hype, but it is all about awareness and keeping folks safe.

Now in Winter when it's a 'wee bit snowy' or chilly down there - and out comes a red warning, then that is when we get jumping up and down on this thread, can't escape the London-centric media influence over what is reported to the UK as a whole.

Karin has localised flood alerts for many areas, am sure the airline will not be flying one of those wee prop things straight into a depression.

Posted

To be fair Iceni, someone died after being hit by a falling tree and this system has the potential to keep on delivering solid rainfall for some hours, leading to serious flooding. Yes there is media hype, but it is all about awareness and keeping folks safe.

Now in Winter when it's a 'wee bit snowy' or chilly down there - and out comes a red warning, then that is when we get jumping up and down on this thread, can't escape the London-centric media influence over what is reported to the UK as a whole.

Karin has localised flood alerts for many areas, am sure the airline will not be flying one of those wee prop things straight into a depression.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying to say some on here get a bit rampy but we're nothing like the Media these days, it's as if they have an agenda to make the most drama out of what is normal autumnal weather. My sister has a client waiting in Mull and she very nearly cancelled the trip because 70 mph gusts were forecast on the BBC last night for today yet your charts say it's blowing 12mph. That is not good for business.

The trees still have their leaves on so it's fairly likely a tree would come down somewhere in Britain and yes it's most unfortunate that someone happened to be under it, but stuff happens. I lived in West Sussex when we had the 87 hurricane and witnessed hundreds of thousands of trees down in my location — we spent a day chainsawing ourselves out to get to the road and were without power for 6 weeks. God knows what they'd say or do about another one like that!

My aunt still lives down in W Sussex and she says it's been rainy and squally — but nothing unusual for the time of year. And there's nowt happening on the SE and East Anglia thread either with a max gust of 24.3 reported — the coast might be windier but the coast always is windier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Main action still to the south of carter bar at the mo; just the occasional shower and drizzle for now. Swinging in my direction though.

Wind fair picked up - lots of leaves flying about and a few branches down on the road coming home.

Posted

Looks as if the front has stalled to me?

Main action still to the south of carter bar at the mo; just the occasional shower and drizzle for now. Swinging in my direction though.

Wind fair picked up - lots of leaves flying about and a few branches down on the road coming home.

If it's swinging for you I had better duck. Will let you know once we have some proper rain :)

Posted

Wind picking up some now as the central position of the low anchors itself off the east coast, some decent gusts rattling through out there.

post-7292-0-88980900-1348515423_thumb.gi

Last 7 hours collated shows the steady movement of Karin.

post-7292-0-24781800-1348515445_thumb.gi

Fax issued this afternoon has the pressure at 975mb, round about 979 just now.

post-7292-0-81810200-1348515659_thumb.gi

Flood Alerts

Posted

Will let you know once we have some proper rain smile.png

Aye, so far the pish has been well, really just pish. Kinda pish really.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Evening all, just moored the car in Scarborough. A66 was horrific, did two 60mph to 0 in 1 second stunts through some serious puddles. Some really heavy bursts along A1 and A170. Going to go prop up the bar and recover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Definitely windy out there now. Doesn't sound half as serious as it would if it was a traditional southwesterly gale though. Usually the gales slam into the front of the house and make the windows whistle, but all this northeasterly stuff hits the back where it's mostly stone. Just a steady drone outside instead of a rude, noisy cacophony.

And sadly I can't tell you what it's gusting, 'cause the weather station tends to be sheltered from easterly winds.

Posted

Was kinda holding out for a good downpour. Seems not to be; or at least I’ll be in bed by that time. Windy aye, but that's it really.

So while doing a bit of general browsing, I ended up watching a youtube clip showing some of the independence rally in Edinburgh at the weekend.

Flicking through, this bloke in a Nike t-shirt/kilt combo caught my eye as he strolled past.

Nike – Jist dae it.

Thought that was funny as. Quality. He's probably got an AyePhone.

(If that’s yersel Big Innes; honestly, am laughin at the t-shirt, no yersel big man; straight fae the heart).

post-9421-0-52416000-1348520917_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

evenin scotland. Very jealous. Oh how i wish i was tucked up in my own bed . Currently in c caravan park north east wales. After which can be described as the worst drive ever . Oh my . Flooding galour . Any way you one of you kind soles please give me any info on rain through night tom for north east wales. Only have my mobile and cant look at important stuff . Love ya.

evenin scotland. Very jealous. Oh how i wish i was tucked up in my own bed . Currently in c caravan park north east wales. After which can be described as the worst drive ever . Oh my . Flooding galour . Any way you one of you kind soles please give me any info on rain through night tom for north east wales. Only have my mobile and cant look at important stuff . Love ya.

Posted

Wind is up again here now, last gust was 40.7 from the NE. No rain to speak of as yet tho'.

Have one for me Cheggers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Definitely windy out there now. Doesn't sound half as serious as it would if it was a traditional southwesterly gale though. Usually the gales slam into the front of the house and make the windows whistle, but all this northeasterly stuff hits the back where it's mostly stone. Just a steady drone outside instead of a rude, noisy cacophony.

And sadly I can't tell you what it's gusting, 'cause the weather station tends to be sheltered from easterly winds.

Unlike you, if we get it from the NE, we really feel it cos we face that way. And this evening the cat flap's been whistling, the gate banging, letterbox flap clacking and the cats look er unsettled. Really gusty and due to strengthen a bit yet - and then comes the rain in the wee hours. Oh the joys of working outdoors.

11:30 edit - fire hose practice here - should test the recent roof repairs.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Doesn't look worse than just showers overnight for NE Wales but tomorrow during the day looks really wet, possibly pretty well all day. Not good, sorry. The only scant consolation is that you're close to the eye so winds should be light.

Posted

It is very windy here but not really wet. Some bursts of rain at times but nothing really heavy