Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I would say Edinburgh probably benefits most from a good NE'ly for the most accumulative snow but then again that all depends on each individual weather system. Thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Shugee's your man to answer the above Edinburger question Mr White.. Over here in darkest West Lothian we are just far enough above sea level to change things sometimes significantly.

I think we will need to despatch the Ark's built over the summer months down South, looking drookit !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I would say Edinburgh probably benefits most from a good NE'ly for the most accumulative snow but then again that all depends on each individual weather system. Thoughts?

I'd say so, but more ENE?

That's certainly the best direction for me in the borders. If it turns too NE-N it misses me and Edinburgh.

Posted

Smashing autumn day 16c in he afternoon with blue skies and sunny periods.Combines moving again in the area tatties being lifted. We had another couple of calves born and got another field of bales cleared. Leaves starting to turn on lots of trees and looking autumnal in the sun. Currently 2c 11.00pm

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

I think we will need to despatch the Ark's built over the summer months down South, looking drookit !

Stuff 'em they never sent the Sun North when it was pish up here. blum.gif

Got cold so spent afternoon in Amazonia. Going to be another chilly one, already down to 6c.

This was this morning

post-2849-0-31900300-1348345538_thumb.jp

Deer this evening over the back of us.

post-2849-0-34800500-1348345546_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Reached 11.3oC here today after an overnight low of 4.2c. Currently 9.3oC and rising. Weird. Hung a washing out today and it didn;t dry. Sun was out though, which made it pretty pleasant all the same. Keeping one eye on the developing situation down south. Not too sure how this area will be affected by this, but at the moment it looks as if we could be hammered by some very strong winds overnight Monday into and throughout Tuesday? Also looks very wet.

Posted

Reached 11.3oC here today after an overnight low of 4.2c. Currently 9.3oC and rising. Weird. Hung a washing out today and it didn;t dry. Sun was out though, which made it pretty pleasant all the same. Keeping one eye on the developing situation down south. Not too sure how this area will be affected by this, but at the moment it looks as if we could be hammered by some very strong winds overnight Monday into and throughout Tuesday? Also looks very wet.

Not looking forward to Monday\Tuesday as driving to Scarborough!! Going to be rather wet and windy me thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Not looking forward to Monday\Tuesday as driving to Scarborough!! Going to be rather wet and windy me thinks.

Argyll due for a ritual autumn drenching and thrashing by the looks of it too.

Our washing didn't dry either Blitzen, but that was cos I forgot to take it out of the machinefool.gif as it was a warm & sunny day again.

Very quiet and lonely without the constant chattering of swallows. I miss them. Maybe I'll hose their mess off the wall and windows tomorrow - that should get rid of the blues!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Morning Kilters. smile.png Another foggy one this morning.

Just seen the warnings from tonight for the SW of E. All the best on your drive Cheggers - I hate driving on windy motorways I always have to drive really slowly and clutch the steering wheel in a Mr Magoo fashion!

Have had a nose on the Winter 12/13 thread and I'm amazed they are on thread 2 already and still quite a while to go! Although as Tescos have the selection boxes in already apparently it's just round the corner.

Posted

Although as Tescos have the selection boxes in already apparently it's just round the corner.

We ate in The Rosebank on Friday afternoon, and they have the xmas tree up!!!

Very chilly morning again, well it was at 3am with wee man!!! Plenty of blue sky the noo, so make the most of it, as brollies and flippers need from tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, peeps...Tesco already has a huge selection of pre-packed Xmas turkeys... Easter eggs next week? Meanwhile the weather's looking like turning a tad wild...

Posted

Another frost last night.

3.3 C at fort SS right now with the sun out / blue skies. Nice autumn morning.

Speaking of Tesco - that's this morning's entertainment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

9.3oC and rising after another overnight low of 4.2oC with a slight frost. No wind to speak of but from a NE direction.

Good luck with that drive Cheggers. Don't envy you. Southerners appear to be expecting a bad time next 48hrs or so. Will be keeping a close eye on things up here. Hopefully wont be too bad.

Lochgelly this morning:post-1989-0-70042100-1348391085.txt

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I'd say so, but more ENE?

That's certainly the best direction for me in the borders. If it turns too NE-N it misses me and Edinburgh.

Yeah probably, as long as it's some form of easterly then it's good for Edinburgh and bad for Glasgow :lol:

I don't know about everyone else but I'd much rather cold and sunny than mild and rainy muck any day! The air seems much fresher too, means I can do my TRX in the back garden :lol:

Posted

Looking at weather reports for oor southern neighbours, the South East getting very wet!!! Joy, as from Scarborough I head to Guildford, then back up via Liverpool on Wednesday, so a very soggy Cheggers arriving back on Wednesday evening. nea.gif

Posted

2c first thing this morning with a grass frost .Another calf waited till the sun warmed up a bit to be born this morning. Mother a red and white absolutely wild as we tagged it and gave it a vitamin E shot behind behind the tractor for protection.post-2744-0-61669500-1348402344_thumb.jp Photo shows shows said red and white cow in middle of the nursery group with her own calf hidden behind her . No stranger should enter a field with newly calved cows as they will defend their calves with great vigour and half a ton of cow can inflict a lot of damage

Currently 15,c sunny and young Mr. Northernlights carting bales and watching for more cows calving as the loads come past the field with the cows in.

Another photo of cow which needed assistance to calve two days ago and her calf.post-2744-0-54804200-1348402226_thumb.jp

Must have heard about the rain on Tuesday and they all want to arrive in the sunshine

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Awh, nice to see them settled and cosy and doing well, ty for the pics.

Posted

A pleasantly mild 12 C here with just a light breeze. More cloudy now after earlier blue skies.

Tomorrow and tuesday looking kinda wet.

EDIT. Aye. Lookin wee bit hairy the morn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19693499

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Good morning to the Kilted Thread!

Been awol most of the damp summer - though browsed occasionally. Hope you are all well!drinks.gif

But, just wanted to note that at 6am this morning when I went for my morning run there was.......ice on the car! cold.gif First time I've seen that in a while! Very autumnal this week.

must be a Perth thing im a summer lurker too....although commonality ends at 6am runs..... #bonkers

can confirm though have had 3 mornings of ice as i am up at 6 am because of kids

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Morning all, definitely not good morning.

Child of Nadine devilishly wakes us up and puts us all inside the washing machine. Such a difference from the weekend.

post-7292-0-37231800-1348465855_thumb.gi post-7292-0-34031000-1348465865_thumb.jp

LP's merging now and some hefty showers tracking around the UK. Wind picking up too.

Not a pleasant start to the week..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Thanks for the heads up Lorenzo! When do you think it will kick off up here today? Was a lot milder this morning (yes on a run edodfc blum.gif ) though I did get a little bit of rain but only spotting and though breezy it was only light.

Thanks for the heads up Lorenzo! When do you think it will kick off up here today? Was a lot milder this morning (yes on a run edodfc blum.gif ) though I did get a little bit of rain but only spotting and though breezy it was only light.

I think it will build gradually through the day, the FAX chart for midnight tonight shows fronts still to the south of Scotland but strong winds across Scotland:

post-2844-0-06841400-1348471694_thumb.pn

It should be an interesting day, but I'm not sure it will be much different from any other standard splash and lash autumnal storm? The most interesting feature is how the storm was spawned.

Nadine may well throw us up another storm in ten days or more, the models are struggling with how to get rid of her. Looks like we could be in for a rather tempestuous spell of weather, bring it on!! :good:

Posted

Flood alerts issued as heavy rain and strong winds batter Scotland

The Met Office has issued an amber weather warning for the Borders, Lothians, Fife and central Scotland areas where strong winds and rain have the "potential to cause disruption". Residents are being urged to "be prepared" in those areas, with the Met Office advising that rivers could burst their banks during the torrential downpour on Monday.

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) has issued flood alert warnings for seven areas including Edinburgh and Lothians, Dundee and Angus and West Central Scotland. Heavy persistent rain and winds are expected across southern Scotland from Monday with south-eastern areas expected to witness the worst of the conditions.

Transport minister Keith Brown said: "In light of the Met Office warning for wind and rain in many parts of the country, our trunk road operating companies have all their resources available, including patrols, and will pre-position resources in areas of special attention."The Traffic Scotland website, variable message signs and traffic internet radio are being used to provide up to date information to the travelling public, allowing them to plan and amend their journeys accordingly."

He said a multi agency response team would be operational from Monday afternoon until the weather improves.

http://local.stv.tv/...winds-forecast/

Posted

Wind picking up here (Riccarton, nr. Ed Airport). Fair amount of leaves already coming of the trees.

I see from the radar that Wales and south England are getting some serious rain.