Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Good morning to the Kilted Thread!

Been awol most of the damp summer - though browsed occasionally. Hope you are all well!drinks.gif

But, just wanted to note that at 6am this morning when I went for my morning run there was.......ice on the car! cold.gif First time I've seen that in a while! Very autumnal this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

- venison wellington coming up at the weekend I reckon.

Road kill or stalked with bow and arrow (opening scene of last of the Mohicans comes to mind)?

Had f'n rain come into the living room last night. Just a wee bit and was a mystery at first. Then worked out that when the sparky put a new cable along the front of the house to feed the extension, he tucked it up in the gap between the gutter and the cottage wall, into which it fitted too snugly forming a wee bridge at points. Ergo, some water managed to get across this and the top of the stone wall under the roof tiles next to it when the rain was overflowing the gutters.

Well, my last holiday day I needed to take before the end of the hols year will now be gutter clearing, cable moving and plaster patching. Hmmmff.

Still, at least it's stopped raining. Sunny but chilly and the patched lawn coming on well.

Still, at least it's stopped raining. Sunny but chilly and the patched lawn coming on well.

Lovely autumn weather, lashing rain yesterday made me feel at home and then back to the sunshine again today and a day off to boot. Would be quite happy with this for a few weeks actually :good:

Posted

Lovely autumn weather, lashing rain yesterday made me feel at home and then back to the sunshine again today and a day off to boot. Would be quite happy with this for a few weeks actually good.gif

I totally agree CMD - just about perfect autumn weather! 3C was minimum temperature earlier this morning, now a little cloudier but still plenty of sunlight coming through but it was a glorious earlier.

I totally agree CMD - just about perfect autumn weather! 3C was minimum temperature earlier this morning, now a little cloudier but still plenty of sunlight coming through but it was a glorious earlier.

It is definitely time to start getting excited about the weather again, I have found my memory stick with all my weather stuff on it. I will hopefully have some time for some revision of yesteryear soon, should be some interesting stuff in there (fingers crossed it is all actually in there or I'm stuffed :lol: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Hello to the charmingly humorous kilties. The weather has been something of a shock to our systems since we moved down south in mid August; sunny, hot / warm, dry, slight breeze or completely still. As I am still homesick I avidly read what's happening north of the border whenever I log in. (And to check out whether the roof of my house - rented out to some poor local people flooded out of their home recently in the first ever flash flood to hit out village - is likely to be standing up to the regular onslaughts. It had better be or our, now very familiar, builders will be able to extend their 6 month Caribbean cruise, courtesy of our chequebook......)

So I was slightly apprehensive to hear the BBC's road reports yesterday (and today) of the A77 closed due to flooding. That's the second time since July and very close to where it passes our village as it turns from the M77 to dual carriageway status.

"Severe flooding forced the closure of Prestwick Airport and two dual carriageways after a heavy downpour.

Torrential rain forced the closure of the airport from Thursday night into Friday morning, while the A77 in Ayrshire remains shut because of flooding." http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/191207-severe-floods-force-closure-of-airport-and-roads-in-torrential-downpour/

Couldn't find any good photos of yesterday's flooded roads but here's a couple from July. Looks like the bridge is festooned with Christmas fairy lights!

Oh, I do miss soggy Scotland!

post-5195-0-35612000-1348240672_thumb.jppost-5195-0-59936300-1348240682_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yes the pattern looks good with north Westerlies prevailing. In a months time with this type of set up there could be snow down to lower levels!drinks.gif

Posted

Oh, I do miss soggy Scotland!

Makes the small damp stain patch I got on my livingroom roof look rather pathetic by comparison.

Nice sunny end to the day here and almost - dare I say it - warmish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

5C overnight min last night - lowest so far. Kin chilly out on the hill today, not a day for loitering high up at all. Dry tho until it came to getting out of the car at home mad.gif

The er bambi is er shot but I don't want to upset anyone. Oh bugger it, SHOT!

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Brilliant Autumn day, magic start really clear, bite in the air, blue skies stepped outside to hear a skein of Geese noisily heading off to pastures new

(no idea which direction - homework required )..

Good to see OTR and SH posting after Summer hibernation, looking forward to seeing what you have hidden on that stick Catch..

Was that a cryptic way of writing that you spent your last annual leave day getting plastered SS?? Everyone round to HC's for dinner this weekend then ( raid under the floorboards...)

Nice bit of high pressure in play to kick off the weekend, then spawn of Nadine arrives and marries up with spawn of Iceland and we get the dartboard treatment early next week..

Model watching holding the interest just now, seeing each of the variations on the theme and how we get to the inevitable below.

post-7292-0-92251500-1348249460_thumb.gi

TFI Friday !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A cold but bright morning here. Min temp in the garden was 2C. Outside town [to NW] got down to just under freezing point.

Showers arrived here pm but skies now clearing again. Currently 8c.

Posted

4c start today followed by mostly overcast skies with bright intervals and a few showers in the afternoon. Geese still coming over all day. Cool again tonight at 7c. Saw several hundred swallows feeding above a grass field all yesterday afternoon, today nothing, off to the sun? 2 calves born today so never a dull moment as we braved their mothers to tag them.

Posted

It fel fairly pleasant outside playing tennis at 5pm. The temperature has now dropped to around 6C, a calm, cold and mostly clear night with a moon so quite a nice autumn night. I will keep an eye on the temperature for the next couple of hours and will see how low it goes, hopefully the first confirmed frost of the season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

4c start today followed by mostly overcast skies with bright intervals and a few showers in the afternoon. Geese still coming over all day. Cool again tonight at 7c. Saw several hundred swallows feeding above a grass field all yesterday afternoon, today nothing, off to the sun? 2 calves born today so never a dull moment as we braved their mothers to tag them.

No swallows here either today for the 1st time. Didn't clean the windows or walls before they left, messy gits!

ha. This evening I have finally cracked how to manage colour between camera, screen and printer. What a palaver but at least now it's a case of WYSIWYG at last.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Hello Kilted peoplesmile.png

This...

Been awol most of the damp summer - though browsed occasionally. Hope you are all well!drinks.gif.

I'm afraid, like a David Cameron babysitting service I've been some what neglectful in my posting over the "summer", though rain, rain and more rain says it all does'nt it!?

Was fortunate enough to be in Kinlochewe on the day it hit 28C back in May, but that really did turn out to be my sunny highlight of the yearlaugh.png

Chillier weather indeed this last wee while with temps dropping below zero in the early hours. Lets hope we all get the cold stuff when it matters and when it's most potentcold.gif in the coming months! drinks.gif

Currently 4.8C and dreich

Posted

Evening all. Bugger me it cold. cold.gif

Had to remove ice from the car at 6am which was a shock, as it's still September!!!

Anyone seen the meteor shower tonight? Some crackers flitting across the clear skies.

Posted

Evening all. Bugger me it cold. cold.gif

Had to remove ice from the car at 6am which was a shock, as it's still September!!!

Anyone seen the meteor shower tonight? Some crackers flitting across the clear skies.

Can confirm a light frost here.

Think it is the first one for me.

Posted

Light frost here,don't know what the minimum was, currently blue sky, and 3.1c.

Posted

Light frost developing on the tops of the car. A stunning morning and it's great to fell the chill of temperatures close to 0C - It could possibly be the first air frost of season aswell as the first ground frost! :)

Posted

Same here this morning, stunning start to the day. The lower sun really makes the difference to give the Autumnal feel.

Had to defrost windscreen today, better get used to that !! Mad snowboarder, another kilted fellow has found some FI northerly action on model thread today.

CFS is also worth a spin through NDJF, some wow factor eye candy. That 1065 mb HP over Greenland keeps on re-appearing..

Posted

Yes did notice some frost was still lingering at about 20 to 10 this morning here. Nice to know it's that time of year again (And could be the same tonight too)

Posted
how well does edinburugh fare for winter snow?

There is a lot of variation around Edinburgh, the coastal areas impacted by the North Sea can be warmer at times and more mush than snow.

Then if you're lucky...

post-7292-0-77522600-1348313524_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo