Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Seems the heaviest rain has just circled around fort SS all night. A wee enclave of mere drizzly pish. Must be in the 'aye' of the storm.

Windy though, with lots of small bits of tree liberally scattered around the garden.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Was kinda holding out for a good downpour. Seems not to be; or at least I’ll be in bed by that time. Windy aye, but that's it really.

So while doing a bit of general browsing, I ended up watching a youtube clip showing some of the independence rally in Edinburgh at the weekend.

Flicking through, this bloke in a Nike t-shirt/kilt combo caught my eye as he strolled past.

Nike – Jist dae it.

Thought that was funny as. Quality. He's probably got an AyePhone.

(If that’s yersel Big Innes; honestly, am laughin at the t-shirt, no yersel big man; straight fae the heart).

That's just brilliant. You kind of wish he was a member of parliament. Why do you think independence is a good idea? Ah jist dae right big man..how have you gotta problem wi that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looks like someone has been wandering about the trees behind my house with a chainsaw, plenty of leaves everywhere this morning.

The aye aye is currently on the NE Coast of England, still not completely defined on Satellite.

Another grey day !

Beeb on the go with travel advice, plenty of debris causing problems already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16254765

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/scotland

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Disruption warning as heavy rain and strong winds lash Scotland

The Met Office has issued a warning of heavy rain across many parts of Scotland

Rain, floods and wind batter UK

Heavy rain and strong winds are affecting parts of Scotland.

The Met Office has issued amber "be prepared" warnings for the south west, Lothian and Borders, Central, Tayside, Fife and Grampian. A yellow "be aware" warning is also in place for the Strathclyde area and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) has issued nine flood alerts. Transport Scotland has warned drivers that the adverse weather conditions could cause problems on the roads. The Borders was braced for some of the worst of the weather, with up to 60mm (about 2.5in) of rain forecast on already saturated ground.

Scottish Borders Council has activated its emergency response team and said it expected "the equivalent of an average month's fall in a day". Chief Executive Tracey Logan said: "The Met Office has been forecasting this weather since the latter part of last week so we are prepared. "We have additional staff and resources available, and our emergency response team will continue to monitor the situation." All schools in the region were open as normal on Monday and were expected to open on Tuesday.

One driver in the Borders had something of a lucky escape after a falling tree clipped his car - damaging the wing - as it came down. It blocked the road over the Gattonside Heights but has since been cleared. Tayside Police warned of an increased risk of surface water on many routes and possible river flooding across the region. A spokesman said: "Anyone who is travelling should allow plenty of time for their journey, reduce their speed and drive according to the conditions." He said: "In light of the Met Office warning for wind and rain in many parts of the country, our trunk road operating companies have all their resources available, including patrols, and will pre-position resources in areas of special attention. "The Traffic Scotland website, Variable Message Signs and Traffic internet radio are being used to provide up to date information to the travelling public, allowing them to plan and amend their journeys accordingly."

He said the multi-agency response team (Mart) would be operational from Monday afternoon until the weather improved. Marc Becker from Sepa said: "Monday and into Wednesday it will be wet across most of eastern and southern Scotland, including the central belt, with the heaviest rain expected in the east of Scotland from the Borders up to parts of Angus. "We are working closely with the Met Office to get a better picture of the potential flooding impacts as a result of this heavy rain."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19693233

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Was kinda holding out for a good downpour. Seems not to be; or at least I’ll be in bed by that time. Windy aye, but that's it really.

So while doing a bit of general browsing, I ended up watching a youtube clip showing some of the independence rally in Edinburgh at the weekend.

Flicking through, this bloke in a Nike t-shirt/kilt combo caught my eye as he strolled past.

Nike – Jist dae it.

Thought that was funny as. Quality. He's probably got an AyePhone.

(If that’s yersel Big Innes; honestly, am laughin at the t-shirt, no yersel big man; straight fae the heart).

Ahm, that wiznae me by the way!biggrin.png

Wiz that no Shuggiewhistling.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Setting off for work soon. From the radar, seems the hills around me have been taking the brunt of the rain, sheltering Lauderdale somewhat.

Some heavy stuff over the lammermuirs by the looks of it though. Could be an interesting drive over soutra.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Jeez. One of those mornings. Some git's dismantled one of my wood stacks outside - a month's dry split firewood scattered in the puddles.

Second wettest 24 hours so far this year with 27mm to now.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Didn't catch the rain either, but pretty wild out there at the mo'. Max gust so far 50mph, from the NNE. Pressure down slightly to 981.0mb.

Posted

An orange warning for that? Oh dear.

Have you tried the river A68 this morning? Was like a road at some points.

Hairy moment when a lorry went through a huge puddle, soaking all the cars on my side to the extent we could not see at all for a good few seconds. Thankfully people were going slow, keeping a good distance and did not slam on the brakes, but everyone slowed to a stop gently.

A wild drive for sure.

Posted

Wind getting stronger this morning coming in straight off the Firth and rain coming down in sheets. Currently 8.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Goodness, now that all does sound like an autumn storm!  Hope none of you get any damage and, of course, stay safe.

HC, I would have been very upset if my wood pile had ever been been dismantled!  I loved my wood all neatly stacked and ready for the stove, and the smell when I re-filled the store just outside the house.  I'd sit there having a sneaky roll-up so I could gaze at it.  Nothing gives me a better sense of satisfaction - I even have a photo (which I look longingly at now I'm locked in a non-woodburner apartment).   Really miss my country life. 

Edited by Soaring Hawk

Posted

Some pics from the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19713761

Drove through haddington on saturday headed for a walk on the beach at north berwick; river was all calm and tranquil. The tyne has always been a problem.

_63095114_haddington_pub_james_cook.jpg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Our elect went off early hours and only just back on. The Gala Water has burst its banks and covers whole fields now, and run-off from the hills is making the A7 dodgy in a few places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Some pics from the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19713761

Drove through haddington on saturday headed for a walk on the beach at north berwick; river was all calm and tranquil. The tyne has always been a problem.

_63095114_haddington_pub_james_cook.jpg

Aye water is very high down there right now, roads closed over that part of town and the fire brigade are out with the pumps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

It's not Stonehaven, it's Aberdeen.

According to the Radio station it was Stonehaven!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

According to the Radio station it was Stonehaven!

Good pictures anyway, thanks for posting the link. good.gif

55mm rain here since midnight. Looking at accumulation map, some places could have had more than double that...wacko.png These set-ups are the only times when we get more rain than other places - it just sweeps in unhindered from the sea with the Black Isle in the cross-hairs.

Edited by Hairy Celt