Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Into Autumn proper we go then, light fading in the evening, trees on the turn. September moving from quiet and calm to boisterous as the Atlantic fires up from it's slumber, assisted by the odd post tropical event.

Some interesting reading here on 'singularities' of weather, not to be too confusing, basically periods of weather and patterns across the year.

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/179

Currently we have the coolest incursion for some time, as 850hpa temps skirt the north of the country, feels damn chilly this evening as a result.

20:00 Monday

post-7292-0-81226700-1347297705_thumb.gi

14:00 Wednesday

post-7292-0-10088400-1347297715_thumb.gi

Congratulations all on reaching a milestone on the last thread, managed to sneak through to 50 pages, and well done to everyone concerned for keeping it ticking along over the quieter summer months.

Welcome to all the new folks too, as ever if you just pop in to have a read, say hello, we are a friendly bunch, if not occasionally insane.. Well it is Scotland after all...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hey, SS, I'm not greedy, you can share my cloud.

Thanks due to Lorenzo for keeping us on track over the middle part of the year sometimes known as summer. I have sometimes felt like a little drift...

We're forecast for 7C tonight tho still mild just now. Could do with a little more mild rain to bring out the chanterelles properly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Could do with a little more mild rain to bring out the chanterelles properly...

Our neighbour is one of those ecologisty types like yersel. Useful - has found various stashes of chanterelles in the local forests and brings us some (good, because I don't trust myself picking wild mushrooms, probably end up seeing pink elephants, that or in A&E). Mmmmmmm when sauteed with butter and garlic, even a wee touch of cream..

Pishing down here.

Out of interest, how do midges avoid raindrops? Wee swarm of them flying about in the pishing rain earlier. Is that not suicidal?

Edit. Question answered.

http://www.wired.co....oes-in-the-rain

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Into Autumn proper we go then, light fading in the evening, trees on the turn. September moving from quiet and calm to boisterous as the Atlantic fires up from it's slumber, assisted by the odd post tropical event.

did the Atlantic actually go to sleep? Wet and windy, with overnight low forecast at 5c. Looks clear to the North, so this rain may stop then!

Posted

'Les miserables' out there, as they say in France...

Pish and distinctly chilly too.

Posted

Blue skies and sunshine...blum.gif but there are some nasty looking downpours dotted around that are heading this way, but as yet have remained dry. Was 7C when on route to work this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Very breezy, a tad chilly but......the sun is shining!

Posted

Really autumnal this morning sharp showers breezy and high of 11c. Showed 2 primary fours round the farm this morning, was volunteered for the job 15 years ago Took them for a long walk in a cold wind quietened them and me also as voice suffered with too much talking.

Posted

Sunny in short intervals but some heavy and prolonged showers, max 12C. Last night was 7C as forecast, another two nights like that to come and there'll be moves towards the woodshed I think.

Yes, NL, autumn is here - any warm days from now on will be a real bonus. Plenty of harvesting still to be done on the Black Isle although I see no desperate attempts to get it all in just yet.

Posted

Lots of blue sky and sunshine today and feeling cool and fresh too aswell as some heavy showers. I'm going to see Scotland vs Macedonia at Hampden so I expect it will be chilly but it's good old-fashioned fresh autumnal weather and the light is now very different from summer now. I was able to stay up last night to watch Murray win the US Open and there are no words from me to describe his achievment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny spells here but a cold wind. Some snow on the highest tops today.

Glencoe for example.

http://www.winterhig...php?2,file=8355

Melted a bit though.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Sunny spells here but a cold wind. Some snow on the highest tops today.

Glencoe for example.

http://www.winterhig...php?2,file=8355

Melted a bit though.

Enough for skiing. Conditions in fact look pretty good for Scotland....

Posted

Cooler today - max 11C - after last night's min of 7C, but clearer between the soddin great showers that chased me round the Black Isle. Autumn's nail(d)ed.

Found a stinkhorn out in the woods today, apparently not rare but I don't see them often - they don't last long. This one was absolutely smothered with really excited flies - like really excited, must be some strange chemical, but it certainly did stink. Unlike the lovely chanterelles I found later... And strangely still quite a few raspberries.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Not a bad early autumn day overall. Fair bit of blue sky and sun, but a breeze although generally mild. Trees around work at Riccarton showing the first clear signs of autumn - higher leaves now tinged with yellow....

Sunset from my new man cave/home office today was nice; cracking short period where the sunlight was in that almost horizontal way just before it starts to go below the horizon. Lit up the back garden and trees etc behind beautifully.

Tried to get a good photo but I'm a production chemist with a standard digital camera. Will stick to the day job.

Best I could do. Does not really do it justice (excuse the lawn repair underway!).

post-9421-0-62282900-1347479836_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Drive down to Liverpool was rather wet, I think I aquaplaned through the lake district. Afternoon was better albeit with a gusty wind. Calmed a wee bit now, but looks like drive home Thursday night could be interesting.

Posted

Grey day.

Just about to go and collect my mother in law from the airport - here for a couple of weeks.

good.gifyahoo.gifdrinks.gif

Strange reaction?

Na... http://en.wikipedia..../French_cuisine

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Well the past couple of morning have had a very slight touch of frost on the car (barr this morning), and some slight ice on Loriston Loch in Aberdeen. Its certainly Autumn now, its a pity really as i still have a couple of weeks left to finish my garden...was really really hoping to get it done before the misery arrived...

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted

Wet, then more wet. Wet later too probably.

edit, later... yes, it is wet. Every 20 mins or so someone runs into the yard howling wildly, throws a few buckets of water around then runs away howling.blink.png

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just a wee breeze skyblue, I think our infamous 'Hurricane' from last year has set the bar mighty high.

Not sure if ex-Hurricanes on drive-by will cut the mustard. Full on sting jet required.

Nevertheless, Cairngorm Mountain delivering as ever. 21:00 report rattling in with 183 Km'h gusts.

Posted

A very windy day with some very stormy cloudscapes and bursts of rain.Fairly mild with a high of 14c. Loading a grain lorry at tea time and the grain was dressed or cleaned by the wind of all light screenings.