Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happpy

Wind Direction Question?

Hello, Dudes!

I'm unable to understand Wind direction phenomena.

In many sites like weather.com BBC Weather and Accuweather.com, Wind direction always shows. some give NW, some give SE, some give NS, some give NNS, some give SSE and some give only N and so on,

Now my question is that if I've stand in front of my house or in a ground, then how can I understand the direction of Wind without any instrument? Suppose, I've just seen on Weather.com that the current Wind direction is SE, so what does that mean? Is that mean, Wind is coming from South and going to East? OR Is that mean, Wind is coming from East and going

South? OR What?

Suppose, a site is saying Wind direction only N, then what does that mean? Wind is coming to North or going from North?

Suppose a site has written SSE, then what does that mean? Where towards the Windo direction is?

Overall is that suppose I'm standing on a ground and I know my all Directions of that place (like S, E, W, N.) where I'm stand.

Now accoring to these weather sites, what phenomena will be used to know Wind Dirction?

Regards,

Happy,

I would imagine that, all of the time, when a website forecast or TV forecaster says wind is northerly or 'N' that means that the wind is originating from that direction. i.e. if you were to face that direction you should feel the wind coming right at you. with SE or SSE, again that is the direction the wind is originating from. So when its SE you would expect winds to be coming from off the continent.

nhj1nabj.apl.gif

Yes, Milhouse is right, the direction given is always the one the wind is blowing from.

You do need to be aware that, if your back garden, or some other place, is sheltered by trees and buildings the wind might appear to be coming from various directions due to the air flow being altered by the obstacles.

as to finding what direction

If you are a walker you will be familiar with finding the directiuon you are heading in?

Sun rises in the east and is roughly south at local mid day time. Note the wind direction in relation to that. Once you have marked north for your garden then its a simple matter to check the wind direction. But as TM comments be aware that the true wind direction will be affected in built up areas to varying degrees.

• Similar Content

• By Surrey
      Not sure if we have a thread open yet for storms as we haven't really had one yet.. 
      Here is my post this Morning on the first to effect Southern England 
      https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86593-se-england-and-ea-regional-weather-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=3477618

• By Skullzrulerz
      Good Evening to you all.

As the Warm/Hot Spell is ending as we speak or has ended depending on where you are the cool spell slowly taking over the UK with unsettled weather as it main force.

Your opinions/thoughts on the spell/period.

Please also be respectful of other users opinions as well...
    • By Ross Andrew Hemphill
      There may already be a thread for this so lock this if that's the case....

Met Office weather warnings have been issued for much of the country for heavy, frequent snow showers from tomorrow morning.

Warning map:

Here is the latest output from the models:

850hpa Temps:

Precipitation Type:

Very interesting spell of weather coming up very soon, lets all keep everyone informed of what's happening across the country.
    • By Skullzrulerz
      Hello and welcome to the brand new thread and maybe the first one for 2015.

To everyone on netweather have a happy new year.

However back to on topic things some models are showing storms ( fine detail will come later as some go out to deep unreliable time-frame or whatever you want to call 

I am not talking about the new year's storm so here is a link to the new year's storm discussion below

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82129-new-years-day-possible-storm/

So let's use the soon to be main GFS model the GFS Parallel which will soon replace the old GFS which is still in use today.

So let's start with this Saturday ( 3rd January 2015 )

A area of strong gusts of winds will first hit eastern and northern Ireland 

Than small area of strong gusts of winds will hit the isle of man and parts of northern Wales and northern England for a time.

Than will the east coast will be taking on some moderate gusts for a few hours.

On Monday the of 5th January a minor storm will hit northern Scotland.

Now this is where deep fi starts to do its magic and bring some 'Major' storms on the GFS P.

Wednesday 7th January 2015

This storm if it happens since models change their minds on each and every run of their lives this will bring a fair banging for the coasts of Scotland and possible strong gusts inland for a time.

Friday 9th January 2015

Since it doesn't do a 3 hour thing at the end of the run i will try to predict what will happen if this storm were to happen.

It will bring strong/very strong gusts possibly even damaging winds to a area which will most likely be the south coast and Wales. 

It than moves east wards bring a windy gusty day to England however damaging winds to a area of the UK cannot be ruled out. 

So than what are you thoughts for a possible storm period to happen in January?

Share you thoughts here.

Please also note the every run is different so the pictures that i have posted may be wrong in the next 24-48 hours. 
    • By Skullzrulerz
      Hello everyone and welcome!

As we go head first into the depths of the start of this winter there seems to be a storm on the semi-reliable (or whatever you want to call it) time-frame.

At the moment the strongest winds looks like to hit Scotland and some of the western coasts of England. (According to the gfs 12z run)

This is 8 days out through so however because its not in the reliable time frame just yet major changes are expected at the moment becuase i think we know what models like to do.

For extreme fans this might be a good storm to check out (if it happens)