Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Sign in to follow this  
The PIT

World Cup Qualifiers

England Three up playing with more pace than normal. Mainly in control but one or two alarming defensive mistakes though at times.

I think it's going to stay at 3 now too, England starting to sit back and play out time.

Not a bad performance though, I've seen worse!

EDIT: Shows how much I know! Lol.

Edited by Active Weather Dude

In recent qualifying campaigns England have very often won by just 2 or maximum 3 goals versus the lesser teams, particularly away from home, so it was very pleasing to see today's 5-0 win.

It was the biggest away win by England for 19 years since beating San Marino 7-1.

• Like 1

And a woeful performace tonight.

what team are you talking about. England played well,a draw was a fair result.

And much improved from the Euro matches. I wouldn't describe it as woefully. Our finishing was poor and we defended a little deep for their goal which was a good finish. Our ball retention was much improved and we managed to find our own players rather than losing it second pass. Cleverly missed three sitters and Defoe had a good goal disallowed. If they went in I bet you would have said a very good performance.

Were people watching the same game?....England were poor (again) and were played off the pitch for most of the match....They didn't deserve a draw and were thoroughly outclassed for long periods by Ukraine. They gave away possession time after time, apart from Gerrard, our passing was dreadful and in Cleverley's case, he had a shocker and showed that despite the talent displayed for Man Utd, he's a long, long way from being an international footballer, and after watching Hodgson's substitutions, it was amazing to note that he classes Sturridge & Welbeck as wingers!, and as far as his comments go about '.....but for the next 75 minutes we dominated the game totally' infers that Mr Hodgson is as far detached from reality as is humanly possible!...They were better towards the end of the match but on balance were decidedly inferior for the whole 90 minutes

Edited by ajpoolshark

AJ, you're always very negative about English sporting teams in my opinion. They certainly weren't played off the park- I can't remember Hart making too many saves. Outclassed is going way overboard- Ukraine passed the ball well but didn't look much of a threat to me. They 100% deserved at least a draw in my opinion.

As another poster said before, they missed several sitters (Cleverley guilty of two), Defoe had what should have been a legitimate goal chalked off for a very questionable foul and Welbeck hit the post. Had those chances gone in people would not be being so negative. It wasn't a great performance by any means but they certainly weren't outplayed. I've got to say I thought Welbeck really lifted England when he came on- he added urgency and linked the play better than Oxlade-Chamberlain had done. Defoe tried hard but is not really suited to being a lone striker- he kept being outmuscled by the centre halfs and wasn't able to hold the ball up as well as you'd like.

Although we were not exactly played off the Park the opposition had a number of opportunities to score and the build up to their goal was little short of farcial. An extremely weak header out from one of our defenders (I believe it was Lescott) found its way to one of their players who was just rising from the ground with his back to play. Somehow as he was gaining his feet the ball stuck between his legs and he was able to stand and carry on the game in possession of the ball as if nothing had happened,

As far as Cleverley is concerned the less said about him the better. The commentator on iTV said that he (Cleverley that is and not the commenter) is not blessed with great speed. from my observations he could not hit a barn door from 5 yards out, could not tackle, head the ball or pass it to anyone other thatn the opposition. I began to wonder as the game went on, what he does "bring to the table" so to speak. Hopefully a lot more for Man U. If he was a player for a lesser team I very much doubt he would have been given the opportunity to play last night.

Apart from Cleverley's performance last night the thing that disappointed me most was the cameo performance of his Man U team mate Wellbeck. He deliberatly cheated in trying to get a penalty awarded by diving in the box. The referee was very good in spotting this (apart from that the man in black had a somewhat indifferent game I felt) Wellbeck should have at least been booked if not sent off. The opposition also cheated fairly early on in the game which resulted in Defoe's excellent goal being disallowed for an alleged hit in the face of a Ukranian player.

It was refreshing in the Olympics and Paralympics to see true sportsmanship instead of what we witnessed yesterday evening in equal measure by both teams.

Kind Regards

Dave

Edited by claret047
  • Like 1

Although we were not exactly played off the Park the opposition had a number of opportunities to score and the build up to their goal was little short of farcial. An extremely weak header out from one of our defenders (I believe it was Lescott) found its way to one of their players who was just rising from the ground with his back to play. Somehow as he was gaining his feet the ball stuck between his legs and he was able to stand and carry on the game in possession of the ball as if nothing had happened,

As far as Cleverley is concerned the less said about him the better. The commentator on iTV said that he (Cleverley that is and not the commenter) is not blessed with great speed. from my observations he could not hit a barn door from 5 yards out, could not tackle, head the ball or pass it to anyone other thatn the opposition. I began to wonder as the game went on, what he does "bring to the table" so to speak. Hopefully a lot more for Man U. If he was a player for a lesser team I very much doubt he would have been given the opportunity to play last night.

Apart from Cleverley's performance last night the thing that disappointed me most was the cameo performance of his Man U team mate Wellbeck. He deliberatly cheated in trying to get a penalty awarded by diving in the box. The referee was very good in spotting this (apart from that the man in black had a somewhat indifferent game I felt) Wellbeck should have at least been booked if not sent off. The opposition also cheated fairly early on in the game which resulted in Defoe's excellent goal being disallowed for an alleged hit in the face of a Ukranian player.

It was refreshing in the Olympics and Paralympics to see true sportsmanship instead of what we witnessed yesterday evening in equal measure by both teams.

Kind Regards

Dave

Completely agree.

AJ, you're always very negative about English sporting teams in my opinion. They certainly weren't played off the park- I can't remember Hart making too many saves. Outclassed is going way overboard- Ukraine passed the ball well but didn't look much of a threat to me. They 100% deserved at least a draw in my opinion.

As another poster said before, they missed several sitters (Cleverley guilty of two), Defoe had what should have been a legitimate goal chalked off for a very questionable foul and Welbeck hit the post. Had those chances gone in people would not be being so negative. It wasn't a great performance by any means but they certainly weren't outplayed. I've got to say I thought Welbeck really lifted England when he came on- he added urgency and linked the play better than Oxlade-Chamberlain had done. Defoe tried hard but is not really suited to being a lone striker- he kept being outmuscled by the centre halfs and wasn't able to hold the ball up as well as you'd like.

Very uncalled for comment bud....just speaking the truth, the England football team are mediocre to put it mildy (and our cricketers are treading water, but that's for different thread!)......Listen & read all the punditry for last night's game!.. and with respect, professional ex-player pundits know more about football and the state of our game far better then you, me or anyone else on this board can dream of knowing!!....Across the board it's the same. England were poor & if you think different then a visit to specsavers to change those rose-tinted spectacles are in order...lol.....

How FIFA can rate England 3rd in the world rankings is beyond me. I take it's some sort of joke.

• Like 3

How FIFA can rate England 3rd in the world rankings is beyond me. I take it's some sort of joke.

I'm trying to work that one out. It will be based on results but how they work out the weightings who knows.

I'll say again last nights performance was a big improvement on the Euro's I would class it as average and not woeful or poor. England are in the process of rebuilding. The management still haven't decided on the first choice striker line up so that keeps changing the back four had to be re shuffled plus some inexperienced lads on the pitch. So you shouldn't really expect a 90 minute slaughter and a ten nil scoreline.

I saw progress last night and eventually should get a balanced good team unless knee jerk reactions get the manager sacked.

Moving onto the cheating Wellbeck should have been booked and Defoes strike should have counted.

Very uncalled for comment bud....just speaking the truth, the England football team are mediocre to put it mildy (and our cricketers are treading water, but that's for different thread!)......Listen & read all the punditry for last night's game!.. and with respect, professional ex-player pundits know more about football and the state of our game far better then you, me or anyone else on this board can dream of knowing!!

That's nonsense, having played the game can give them insight over certain aspects but it doesn't make them expert analysts otherwise they'd all be successful managers. By the way after the game Roy Keane said that we played well.

Regarding the rankings, I can't see how we are 3rd but at the same time England critics are quick to snipe when we've been out of the top 10 or struggled against lowly ranked opposition - can't have it both ways.

That's nonsense, having played the game can give them insight over certain aspects but it doesn't make them expert analysts otherwise they'd all be successful managers. By the way after the game Roy Keane said that we played well.

Regarding the rankings, I can't see how we are 3rd but at the same time England critics are quick to snipe when we've been out of the top 10 or struggled against lowly ranked opposition - can't have it both ways.

Absolute rubbish!!!....Sorry, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read! Edited by ajpoolshark

Absolute rubbish!!!....Sorry, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read!

So you agree with whatever ex-pro's say, they know everything and anyone with a different opinion is wrong? What if the pro's disagree with each other, which one is wrong then? Wake up bud.

So you agree with whatever ex-pro's say, they know everything and anyone with a different opinion is wrong? What if the pro's disagree with each other, which one is wrong then? Wake up bud.

Whats the problem?.....I was accused of being very negative about the national team...I'm not, I'm simply voicing my opinion, which in thus case is similar to most footballing experts....Rather than just nitpicking & insinuating, please read a post properly before criticizing..Where did I say that pundits know everything, and everyone with a different opinion is wrong?....I didn't...I just merely stated the obvious that professional pundits as a whole will have more in depth knowledge of the game and the state of the game than the average layperson, or else why would they be paid plenty of money to do their job?....Anyhoos, I only popped in here to give my opinion earlier, and I'm not in the mood for an argument so TTFN

Whats the problem?.....I was accused of being very negative about the national team...I'm not, I'm simply voicing my opinion, which in thus case is similar to most footballing experts....Rather than just nitpicking & insinuating, please read a post properly before criticizing..Where did I say that pundits know everything, and everyone with a different opinion is wrong?....I didn't...I just merely stated the obvious that professional pundits as a whole will have more in depth knowledge of the game and the state of the game than the average layperson, or else why would they be paid plenty of money to do their job?....Anyhoos, I only popped in here to give my opinion earlier, and I'm not in the mood for an argument so TTFN

No you tried to dismiss someone's opinion and make out that your view (which doesn't matter because you aren't a pro-footballer) was right because it was similar to some pundits you'd read.

Like I said they provide insights to parts of the game but the result is there for everyone to see, with extensive statistics available - which incidentally coaching staff rely heavily upon, not to mention bookies or successful punters who clearly must know something.

It's like going to a restaurant and having a bad meal but not being able to say it was too salty because you aren't a chef, or if someone drove a Lada you can't say it is rubbish because you've not built a car.

No you tried to dismiss someone's opinion and make out that your view (which doesn't matter because you aren't a pro-footballer) was right because it was similar to some pundits you'd read.

Like I said they provide insights to parts of the game but the result is there for everyone to see, with extensive statistics available - which incidentally coaching staff rely heavily upon, not to mention bookies or successful punters who clearly must know something.

It's like going to a restaurant and having a bad meal but not being able to say it was too salty because you aren't a chef, or if someone drove a Lada you can't say it is rubbish because you've not built a car.

No......the poster criticized me and I gave my opinion back...end of....you're making a complete Mount Everest out of a molehill, and quite frankly the reply I made was to the original poster, so why you jumped in and felt the need to have a 'pop' is beyond me.....Anyhoos, now I'm getting bored by it all, and don't want to spend all night trading posts with you, so by all means carry on via pm if you want and I'll reply if and when I feel the urge, or just let it drop, or alternatively I'll flag it to the site team and they can knock this tete a tete on the head

Right.....anyway looking at the stats -

Possession 50 - 50

Shots on target Eng 7 Ukr 4

Off target Eng 7 Ukr 4

Corners 5 - 5

Thought a draw was a fair result but clearly we were played off the park.

Well possession doesn't mean anything it's what you do with it. You could have have had 90% possession but that's your goalkeeper and defenders. :)

Anyway agree with you we weren't played off the park.....

Ireland v germany tonight. Cant see anything other then a german victory but i live in hope.

How many will England score against San Marino?

Hopefully the no mercy style shown against Moldova last month will continue, rather than the settling for a 3 ish goal victory as in the previous

few qualifying groups.

I'm going for 7-0.

How many will England score against San Marino?

Hopefully the no mercy style shown against Moldova last month will continue, rather than the settling for a 3 ish goal victory as in the previous

few qualifying groups.

I'm going for 7-0.

England won 5-0 against Moldova so tonight England should score plenty of goals, if they don't put their foot off the gas and keep going for more goals then yes England could score at least 5 or 6 goals, similar scorelines to what teams like Germany and the Netherlands have achieved against San Marino.

The most important game regarding home nations tonight is Wales vs Scotland. Wales have lost both games including a 6-1 defeat to Serbia, whilst Scotland drew both home games, so a victory is vital for both teams and the managers. Scotland probably has the strongest side and with both Flecther's back we should have enough quality to win the game, but with a manager like Levein in charge - who doesn't see this as a must win game - then I don't have the confidence that he will get the best out of the side in a game between one of the other home nations who are due a result, have a good team and have players like Bale who can win a game. I don't feel confident that Scotland will win the game tonight. Unfortuantly with the way that the first two games have gone, both teams probably won't reach the World Cup now so I think it's time that both teams use the fixtures in this group to strengthen the side for the European qualifiers. As a Scotland supporter, the sooner the campaign is over the better as I don't want another painful rollercoster right to the last day when we are destined to miss out, instead I'd rather get a new manager in charge and try and win the games and play some good football in the group without worrying about qualification.

I think Roy won't play his strongest team tonight, and instead try some of the youngsters.

I think a modest 4 - 0 tonight. England are capable of scoring a lot more, but I just don't think they will go all out for scoring once they get a few in the net.