Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CreweCold

The Watch Enthusiast Thread

Don't know whether this is a bit niche for this forum, just wondering whether anyone else has a passion for watches. My dad has had an enthusiasm for time pieces for as long as I can remember, having had a few nice watches in his time. Recently I have had two watches gifted to me by my parents; one a quartz movement for my 21st birthday a few years back and the second an automatic movement to mark my day of graduation from university, the latter being my pride and joy and a testament to how proud my parents are of me for graduating (the first person in the family).

I guess there's an argument to suggest that watches are now outdated and obsolete (as phones etc have the time displayed on them) but I would argue that a quality watch runs deeper than being just a method of telling time.

Quartz Tag Heuer

Automatic Tag Heuer Carrera

Don't know whether this is a bit niche for this forum, just wondering whether anyone else has a passion for watches. My dad has had an enthusiasm for time pieces for as long as I can remember, having had a few nice watches in his time. Recently I have had two watches gifted to me by my parents; one a quartz movement for my 21st birthday a few years back and the second an automatic movement to mark my day of graduation from university, the latter being my pride and joy and a testament to how proud my parents are of me for graduating (the first person in the family).

I guess there's an argument to suggest that watches are now outdated and obsolete (as phones etc have the time displayed on them) but I would argue that a quality watch runs deeper than being just a method of telling time.

Quartz Tag Heuer

Automatic Tag Heuer Carrera

Intriguingly I have a friend who is a bit of a watch fanatic himself and he owns a very expensive Omega, again presented to him as a gift.

Intriguingly I have a friend who is a bit of a watch fanatic himself and he owns a very expensive Omega, again presented to him as a gift.

Yeah, Omegas are pure class.....I have a friend who bought himself an Omega, though can't remember which model he opted for.

I thought about making the thread after having a debate with someone who isn't interested in the slightest by such watches as they render them completely pointless. However, IMO you have to admire the intricacy of automatic movements, which is why I suggest it goes far beyond time keeping.

TAG Heuer every time, make mine an Aquaracer Calibre S Lewis Hamilton:

14515x_2.jpg

My father was an horologist. We had clocks and watches all over the house. It was a real cacophony of chimes and boings on the hours and half hours. :)

TAG Heuer every time, make mine an Aquaracer Calibre S Lewis Hamilton:

14515x_2.jpg

Out of all the 'top' brands, Tag Heuer do have the most aesthetically pleasing watches IMO...

My father was an horologist. We had clocks and watches all over the house. It was a real cacophony of chimes and boings on the hours and half hours. smile.png

Bet that got annoying!

Every watch I've ever owned has stopped working within a week or two of getting it. I used to do a lot of diving and it's really important to know how long you've been down so I bought myself a Tag, thinking it was guaranteed to keep working - that stopped too. To be fair to Tag, they couldn't see or find any reason why and gave me a full refund. My latest stop the clock conquest seems to be our Grandfather clock; it's worked perfectly for 250 or so years, kept perfect time and all it took was me winding it three times for it to give up the ghost.

I guess I'm destined to live a watch free life, it's second nature now to have a rough idea of the time and mostly, that's good enough.

Every watch I've ever owned has stopped working within a week or two of getting it. I used to do a lot of diving and it's really important to know how long you've been down so I bought myself a Tag, thinking it was guaranteed to keep working - that stopped too. To be fair to Tag, they couldn't see or find any reason why and gave me a full refund. My latest stop the clock conquest seems to be our Grandfather clock; it's worked perfectly for 250 or so years, kept perfect time and all it took was me winding it three times for it to give up the ghost.

I guess I'm destined to live a watch free life, it's second nature now to have a rough idea of the time and mostly, that's good enough.

Haha sounds like you've been really unlucky!

Saying that, my Carrera was off straight from the shop as it was losing about 1 minute a day. Had to send it off to Tag under warranty just a few days after getting it. Came back after being regulated as accurate as one could hope for with an automatic mechanism. I think it's gained 3 seconds in 4 weeks! Not bad considering the tolerance is around about +/- 6 seconds per DAY!

I owned a Simpsons watch. Think it broke.

I don't need a watch when I have my iPhone though. :D

Also, Aaron. Get a tan!!!

I owned a Simpsons watch. Think it broke.

I don't need a watch when I have my iPhone though. :D

Also, Aaron. Get a tan!!!

Sshhhh I don't need a tan....been burnt far too many times!

As for your Simpsons watch, I can trump that.....had a Power Rangers one when I was a nipper so there :p

The last watch I had, the battery ran out in about 1998. It's still in drawer I think ........

To me a watch is just a watch - a cheap device to tell the time and aid navigation. They do the job the same whether they come free in a box of cornflakes or cost more than a 4 bedroom house.

Still, there are worse things to be interested in/collect :)

The last watch I had, the battery ran out in about 1998. It's still in drawer I think ........

To me a watch is just a watch - a cheap device to tell the time and aid navigation. They do the job the same whether they come free in a box of cornflakes or cost more than a 4 bedroom house.

Still, there are worse things to be interested in/collect :)

I appreciate your point and this is exactly why I set up the thread.....it's amazing how views can differ on such a subject.

Personally, if I did have the cash, I could see myself spending 8 grand on a high end time piece like a Rolex, purely because when you have a watch of calibre you become quite attached to it! I certainly have with the Carrera, though I don't know if that's purely because it marks a point in my life which meant a lot to me to acheive.

Seen the title and thought I had a fan club. blum.gif

I haven't worn a watch in a long time, but this has made me consider getting a nice Rolex. good.gif

Seen the title and thought I had a fan club. blum.gif

I haven't worn a watch in a long time, but this has made me consider getting a nice Rolex. good.gif

If you can afford it, do it!!

I have a good friend who bought a lovely gold Rolex 7 years ago and took it for a valuation recently and was offered £5k more than he paid for it. I should have invested all that time ago as nothing else has come close.

Yep, certainly wouldn't want to invest in Gold at the minute though, what goes up, must come down. I play in alot of poker tournaments so maybe I'll win one of those Winners watches/bracelets along with a few million I hope. good.gif

I appreciate watches, to me they can be an investment, and if you enjoy wearing a watch like this, why not? Other people spend their money on other stuff, sometimes on long lasting things, sometimes not. I'm a Breitling fan and own one, though probably will not be able to afford anything else like it again. However if I had the money over again, I'd still buy a Breitling. Just my preference!

Got 1working wristwatch...Genuine Timex with a backlight..Useful on patio when mooning or noting passing sattelites...The alarm goes beep beep every hour at ten past..Hide it under my socks in a drawer evey night so I do not hear it..Other watch is a pocket watch..I like to wear this when going out so not clock watching all the time....

Got 1working wristwatch...Genuine Timex with a backlight..Useful on patio when mooning or noting passing sattelites...The alarm goes beep beep every hour at ten past..Hide it under my socks in a drawer evey night so I do not hear it..Other watch is a pocket watch..I like to wear this when going out so not clock watching all the time....

Can't you disable the beep lol. It would do my head in!

I have now departed with my quartz watch as it never gets used and is surplus to requirements because of the Carrera. It was my first 'proper watch' so will be missed :(

Genuine Timex with a backlight..Useful on patio when mooning

I daren't even ask......

Can't you disable the beep lol. It would do my head in!

I have now departed with my quartz watch as it never gets used and is surplus to requirements because of the Carrera. It was my first 'proper watch' so will be missed sad.png

must be a beeper weirdo ...I have got used to the beep.Anyway the small print on the instructions is to small to bother with .Also it is handy when driving....

must be a beeper weirdo ...I have got used to the beep.Anyway the small print on the instructions is to small to bother with .Also it is handy when driving....

Well if it doesn't bother you why change it eh :)

I've been looking at a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre S (Lewis Hamilton Edition) on evil-bay and it's just not getting many bids as it doesn't have a box or instructions. The seller says they can guarantee it and will offer a full refund if you are not 100% happy with it. Questions is, do I want it without all the other things it should have, but it's at a stonkingly good price currently?

How much they looking for Coast?

At the end of the day the box doesn't mean a thing when that watch is on your wrist and you're loving it.

How old is the watch?