Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Brief Wintry Spell Mid November 1995; A Sign Of Things To Come.

Weather-history

Posted

November 1995 was a mild month overall although it was nowhere near as mild as the previous November. One of the reasons was a brief cold wintry spell mid month which brought snow showers to northern and eastern areas.

It was a very wet day for Edinburgh on the 15th as a low pressure pulled into the North Sea. Michael Fish says at least 54mm, although GSOD says 53.1mm was recorded at Edinburgh Airport.

16th November 1995, cold air floods southwards

The night of 17th into the 18th was the frostiest

Minima

-3.5C at Manchester Airport

-3.0C at Pershore

-7.0C at Benson

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There was lying snow right out to the coast in Tyne and Wear on the morning of the 17th November 1995, with frequent heavy snow showers. It warmed up a bit near the coast during the afternoon as the wind briefly veered north-north-easterly, and fired in heavy hail and sleet showers accompanied by thunder.

A large majority of the snow melted at the exposed headland at Tynemouth, but at Cleadon there was still about 40% snow cover on the morning of the 18th, and some parts of the region still had more than 50% snow cover. The snow was gone by the 19th as milder air moved in from the north-west.

Norwich also had wintry showers accompanied by thunder, although I'm told that the snow didn't settle in East Anglia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I remember that wintry spell. I think some punters were stranded at the Tan Hill Inn up in Yorkshire. What a place to be snowed up. :D

Posted

I remember this mini cold snap more so for the frost, it was a classic northerly type bringing heavy snow showers to NE Scotland and down the N Sea coastal strip to affect NE England and N York moors in particular , though it was too mild for snow further south than this.

However, it was a blip in a rather mild benign month - the best thing about the month was watching West Russia and NE Europe markedly cool down under a cold high pressure which built the foundations for what turned out to be a cold winter with some notable very cold spells, the first of which occured early in December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It was a rather mild damp month in Tyneside- I remember a cold bright spell in the first week with hazy sunshine, but after that, a lot of mild cloudy weather, and that exceptional frontal rainfall event immediately before the cold snap. However, although the month was dull in the northeast, most central, western and southern areas reported above average sunshine.

Posted

It was a rather mild damp month in Tyneside- I remember a cold bright spell in the first week with hazy sunshine, but after that, a lot of mild cloudy weather, and that exceptional frontal rainfall event immediately before the cold snap. However, although the month was dull in the northeast, most central, western and southern areas reported above average sunshine.

Here was that washout, it was very wet for Edinburgh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...