Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Signs Of Autumn In Nature

damianslaw

Posted

Not sure where to have started this thread - I didn't want to tag it into the general weather discussion section..

Anyhow it would be good if people could post their observations of nature in terms of tell tale signs that autumn must be on its way, or indeed is here...

I always await the first tinted changes in hues on a local horse chestnut tree as the first sign of autumn on its way. Last time I looked a few days ago from the car window, leaf colour change did appear to be happening already, but I need to take a more considered look to see whether my eyes were decieving me.

I have also heard a few garden birds cheeping a bit at during the day again a sign that summer is on its way out and that it is safe for them to do so again. Another sign is the rather 'drunken' behaviour of wasps who at this time of year tend to bother people if they have sticky sweet foods and drinks and often 'bump' into things.

Unlike last year this season has been terrible for damsons, none have ripened thanks to the rain sodden April and May.. and I have noticed how poor a showing raspberries and now blackberries have been this year.. compared to recent years.

It will be interesting to read people's observations on such things as tree leaf colour change, berries/nuts ripening, summer arrival birds migrating and winter bird arrivals arriving, general behaviour of mammals and insects etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Starting to get the browny grass colour in the field next to me, plus wildlife seems to of decreased around here now.

Posted

First sign I look for is the rowan tree berries starting to ripen and turn a rich orange. A few other trees are starting to change colour and some early leaves are falling. In the garden we have autumn crocus in flower and overhead, skiens of geese are arriving.

It would have been nice to have had a summer beforehand!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Can't find a more suitable place to put this observation.

More a sign of early winter.

A skein of noisy geese or swans flew westwards over here this morning. That's very early in the season. Seen more often November and December.

Posted

Noticed lots of geese in classic V formations the other day here too.

Grass is disappearing fast and cows are showing a great deal of interest in hay bales put out for them.

I just *know* we are in for an early onset winter this year.

Posted

I just *know* we are in for an early onset winter this year.

I wouldn't say an early onset winter but I'd say a return to a 'normal' Autumn. Trees around here are turning and leaves are beginning to fall. Apples are ready and the garden birds are returning despite there being a plentiful supply of berries. Certainly signs of late 70's early 80's about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Leaves turning.

Plethora of berries.

Daddy Long Legs everywhere.

Geese flying in V formation (just one occurrence though).

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Swifts have gone..Leaves yellow Some now falling off in a breeze. Birds on the blackberries...Rowan berries eaten by Blackbirds..Visits of bird on feeding staion..Butterflies not being seen again...