Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer Sun

Max Bygraves Dies Aged 89

British comedian and variety performer Max Bygraves has died in Australia, aged 89.

The entertainer - whose catchphrase "I wanna tell you a story" propelled him to stardom in the 50s - had been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

He died peacefully in his sleep at his daughter Christine Green's home in Queensland, Australia, on Friday night, where he had been living since emigrating from Sandbanks, Dorset, in 2008.

Bygraves last appeared in public in the UK at revival shows in Blackpool and London in 2006.

He had moved to Australia with Blossom, his wife of 70 years, in the hope the warm climate would help her long-term chest condition. She passed away in May last year.

His son Anthony Bygraves, 65, who lives in Bournemouth, told Sky News: "He was a natural. he was a great entertainer."

He said he had visited his father two weeks ago.

"He had become terribly frail, but somehow I hoped that he would be able to see his 90th birthday.

"It wasn't to be. He just slipped away. Although his death isn't unexpected it has still come as a terrific shock. We're all terribly sad.

"It's hard to imagine a world without him but at least I saw him recently. I got a chance to give him a hug and be with him."

http://news.sky.com/story/979602/max-bygraves-veteran-entertainer-dies-aged-89

This is one thing that I will always remember Max Bygraves for, his involvement in one of quiz shows most hilariously ridiculous moments

I remember being in digs next door to him in 1959. Unless my memory is playing up his son was a nightmare.

My father was the spitting image of Max. He (my father) was in a pub once and one of the customers raced down the road to tell his missus that MB was in the pub. Needless to say she was a tad miffed when she arrived and realised it wasn't her heart throb. :D