Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vantage Vue Help!

Wilxy

Posted

Hi i was just wondering if anyone could help.

Iv recently had my vue back from repair due to the wind speed bearing being stiff, thats been resolved but now i have a new problem the wind vane bearing is now stiff and was just wondering if i can access it at, and is there anywhere that can send out a replacement, i dont trust sending it back again?

Thanks

Tom

Posted

That's annoying, I wonder if they slightly over-tightened something on re-assembly.

How bad is it though, I notice my VP2 is slightly reluctant to move until wind speed gets to at least 2mph but it hardly matters and makes it less 'flappy;.

Posted

That's annoying, I wonder if they slightly over-tightened something on re-assembly.

How bad is it though, I notice my VP2 is slightly reluctant to move until wind speed gets to at least 2mph but it hardly matters and makes it less 'flappy;.

It could be worse but it definatly wont pick up accurate wind direction and plus when i move it i can hear like grinding?

Posted

The anemometers are definitely the achilles heel of the Davis stations. Im on my third one for my VP2 in 2½ years now (both failed after 1 year and 1 month, just outside the warranty!). The issue I keep having is the reed switch freezing which means I get wind direction but no wind speed.

All I can suggest is that you contact McMurdo as they offer full support for Davis units purchased in the UK:

http://www.davisweather.co.uk/about-davis

Posted

The anemometers are definitely the achilles heel of the Davis stations. Im on my third one for my VP2 in 2½ years now (both failed after 1 year and 1 month, just outside the warranty!). The issue I keep having is the reed switch freezing which means I get wind direction but no wind speed.

All I can suggest is that you contact McMurdo as they offer full support for Davis units purchased in the UK:

http://www.davisweat....uk/about-davis

Thanks for that seems very usful thanks very much :)

Posted

Im using the Davis VP2 with 24 hour FARS and during sunny days it makes a very big difference. At 17:00 the local MetOffice sites were at 18.3C and 18.5C and my station was at 18.3C aswell, however a look on weatherunderground shows several nearby stations that are unshielded without FARS sat in the 19-21C range. I also have an old calibrated LaCrosse WS2300 (with only a raincover) which was sitting at 19.2C right next to the Davis, so its quite a difference.

The only issue in this country is that sunshine is pretty unreliable, so theres times when the batteries dont charge on the FARS unit and it doesnt make it through the night. Its also an issue if you are in a sheltered area when the sun gets lower in the sky (winter half year). You night find then that temperatures are slower to react to sudden changes, but I havent had any real issues in the time Ive had mine.

The 24 hour FARS unit cant be fitted later on and has to be specified when you buy a VP2, even when the fans arent spinning its still a much better shielded chamber inside the unit, so temperatures are much more accurate (if a little slower to react). A comprimise is the 'daytime only' FARS unit, but as this is a bolt-on upgrade, if you havent already bought the VP2 you might as well go for the 24 hour version in the first place.

Posted

I would agree totally with those views Reef. Its the nearest an amateur will get to Stevenson screen readings in a Met O approved siting.

Posted

Thanks Reef for that site you posted iv also found out that they sell davis products in a store in bristol but if i went along tomorrow would they be able to do anything about my vanatage vue or would i have to send it back to where i bought it(weather shop eastbourne)?

Thanks

Posted

Im using the Davis VP2 with 24 hour FARS and during sunny days it makes a very big difference. At 17:00 the local MetOffice sites were at 18.3C and 18.5C and my station was at 18.3C aswell, however a look on weatherunderground shows several nearby stations that are unshielded without FARS sat in the 19-21C range. I also have an old calibrated LaCrosse WS2300 (with only a raincover) which was sitting at 19.2C right next to the Davis, so its quite a difference.

The only issue in this country is that sunshine is pretty unreliable, so theres times when the batteries dont charge on the FARS unit and it doesnt make it through the night. Its also an issue if you are in a sheltered area when the sun gets lower in the sky (winter half year). You night find then that temperatures are slower to react to sudden changes, but I havent had any real issues in the time Ive had mine.

The 24 hour FARS unit cant be fitted later on and has to be specified when you buy a VP2, even when the fans arent spinning its still a much better shielded chamber inside the unit, so temperatures are much more accurate (if a little slower to react). A comprimise is the 'daytime only' FARS unit, but as this is a bolt-on upgrade, if you havent already bought the VP2 you might as well go for the 24 hour version in the first place.

Thank you very much for your time to answer, appreciate it very much. :)