Sign in to follow this  
AderynCoch

House Spiders

We had six biggies on the bedroom ceiling before I left. Devouring the midges that seemed to have rejuvenated. Go spiders!

What's all this scared of spiders malarkey....

Good grief. How do you think they feel :) you try sitting not least building a web, in a gale, just to get some scran.....

Get a grip! Lol...

I know! I cannot get it either, but as a psychologist, I understand! They are a deep seated potential threat from our origins in the Savanna, added to the fact that they have seemingly random movement around or on us, that a mammal does not...phobias and aversions are very weird.

This thread has made me feel a bit ill.

Haven't had a single one this year *touch wood*, but then gain I do have a cat that kills anything that moves.

I hate house spiders, it's just something about them. I don't mind the little spindly ones of money spiders. Hate Daddy Long Legs too, they seem to float around and follow you. My cousin lives in Australia and regularly posts pictures of some the spiders they get. I honestly would be in a constant state of anxiety if I lived there.

Haven't had a single one this year *touch wood*, but then gain I do have a cat that kills anything that moves.

I hate house spiders, it's just something about them. I don't mind the little spindly ones of money spiders. Hate Daddy Long Legs too, they seem to float around and follow you. My cousin lives in Australia and regularly posts pictures of some the spiders they get. I honestly would be in a constant state of anxiety if I lived there.

My cat kills and eats spiders and daddy long legs! It is a brave insect that enters my house! They are pretty harmless though, apart from the odd spider that bites!

Maybe I should not, but I will! Quite a few years back, we camped near Newcastle NSW in Oz. In the daylight, there were spider webs in the trees secured by rolled up large leaves at either end. In the night, I got up the go to the toilet block and found that the webs were now occupied in their centres by huge green and black spiders about the size of a saucer. I had my wee, but was careful how I walked. Asked the campsite owner next day and was told they were fly catchers and just ate the nasty mozzies and other bigger bugs.

Web destroyed by bad weather = lets enter a nice warm house lol

Are you referring to garden spiders? if so they stay in the garden( their name) and their life cycle is now coming to an end.

You're a shrink...got a direct line ROFLMAO!

Back to spiders - relatively harmless who do more good than bad and have been around for an eternity. Can semi understand phobias, and yet many think heavy traffic is perfectly acceptable...ah but spider yes lol.

No! I am a psychologist who tries to understand human behaviour. I do not analyse myself or everyone else all the time otherwise I would go crazy! What bothers you about that?

Are you referring to garden spiders? if so they stay in the garden( their name) and their life cycle is now coming to an end.

Exactly. Maybe if folks understood the life cycle of these arachnids, they would be happier. Then again, maybe not...

House spiders are better than a house full of mosqitos!

Edited by lassie23

Nothing...not a jot. Erm aye yes....sorry I spoke :)

Spiders? Back to spiders. Poor things lol,

No hurt intended. Sorry, but people misunderstand my profession. Most of us are gentle caring folks who want to make the world better for everyone by understanding how we all think. I would like people to like safe spiders, and air travel, and looking down from the top of a mountain, and being under water because with safe equipment and a solid understanding there should be no fear. Do not get me wrong, fear is good in the face of real danger. It is when the danger is seen as out of proportion that we have problems. I am not immune BTW. I spent years battling dental phobia, getting to the stage where I could not even go into a surgery with my hubby to make an appointment without feeling panicky, I had hypnotherapy to control my phobia. Hope there are no bad feelings..

Dead spider outside by door , I think it's been waterboarded !!!.

Or bitten by his oh so temporary wife!

Would agree! We share the planet with some beings that take a bit of getting used to. Humans are the most difficult though...

There are no spiders in evidence but I have got four nasty mosquito bites they seem to like the late humidity and the warmth

Rolled up newspaper, might give the corpse to the local house spiders for re cycling purposes!

One ran behind the TV cupboard last night and I couldn't find it! Theres one on the loose somewhere dam it!!! :/ 

Do you have a cat? It'll find it and dispose of it!

No I have two dogs and they aren't interested in spiders! I'm not a cat fan either so I'll have to hunt the spider down myself...

Good Morning everyone,

Our eldest son who has his own house about a mile from where I live is absolutely terrified of spiders. A couple of weeks back he had been to our house for dinner and on returning to his place was confronted by a large spider in his hallway. He called me on his mobile, but was so frightened by this he was having difficulty in breathing. I had to drive over to him and collect the offending creature in a jam jar and dispatch it over his fence onto the communal car-park next to his garden.

I do not know if it has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (unfortunately time is pressing and I am unable to check through the other pages , but we have heard that placing conkers around the house on the floor and on window sills etc deters spiders. He has tried this and it does appear to be making a difference.

Has anyone else heard of this and have they found it successful?

Kind Regards

Dave

Never heard of that one Dave, anythings worth a shot I guess! You can buy some spray that's meant to deter spiders, maybe it's got conkers in who knows?

Saponin in conkers spiders hate it !!!! Also in sarsaparilla pop!!.

Edited by Mokidugway