Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Sign in to follow this  
AderynCoch

House Spiders

Yep, it's that time of the year again. We already had a couple of big 'uns at the beginning of August (unusually early) and last night I had to remove an absolute humdinger from the living room to stop my mother and sister having to have an early night. I used a large measuring cylinder as it would have been very difficult gettting the pint glass over it. It's not even September yet, so there's plenty of time for more bruisers to show themselves.

I never saw that many living elsewhere, so I'm beginning to think the family home is a magnet for them as there are lots of them here every year. Does anybody else feel blessed/cursed in this way? I like spiders but boy do they cause disruption in this place!

I have those spiders with the long spindly legs in my house all year and they are a damn pain in the bum. They spread these threads all over the coving and walls and the rooms are so high I can't reach even with the vacuum cleaner. (I'm 4ft 11ins)

But I WONT kill them if I can help it. :) But yes, with the other spiders which stroll in in autumn I use the pint glass and beer mat/paper method to evict them.

And it's not spiders I'm scared of.....it's those mahoosive spiral webs with looooooong threads that freak me out. Ugh!

I have those spiders with the long spindly legs in my house all year and they are a damn pain in the bum.

Daddy longlegs spiders (not to be confused with crane flies!) - I have loads of them too. And every now and then I cull them. What gets me is the number that live in the bathroom where I'd swear the only food source is other spiders......

Anyway, I love this time of year when all the big, cuddly, hunters come roaming about the house :)

• Like 1

Seems to be seeing many of Steatoda species, along with Mouse spiders, pretty much everywhere.

Hate spiders....hate them with a passion. That being said, I'm not scared of all of them, just the house spider (tegenaria). Had a medium sized one running across the living room floor the other night....nothing a CD case couldn't sort out *thwack*

If the spider aint paying rent it's got 2 options...

1) It can allow itself to be caught peacefully and put outside

2) Put up a fight and end up being squashed

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Daddy longlegs spiders (not to be confused with crane flies!) - I have loads of them too. And every now and then I cull them. What gets me is the number that live in the bathroom where I'd swear the only food source is other spiders......

Anyway, I love this time of year when all the big, cuddly, hunters come roaming about the house Posted Image

Yes, The Daddy Longlegs Spider does prey on your more typical fat hairy house spider, i personally love the latter,and will try to get other members of the family to let them crawl over ones hands, arms etc, great fun.Posted Image

and will try to get other members of the family to let them crawl over ones hands, arms etc, great fun.Posted Image

The thought of that really disturbs me.... *shudder*

Daddy longlegs spiders (not to be confused with crane flies!) - I have loads of them too.

I assume you're talking about cellar spiders. Harvestmen are also called "daddy long legs" though of course they're not actually spiders.

I've only ever seen one cellar spider in this place, and that was outside in the back. There was one resident in the kitchen where I lived in 2010 - they must be quite hardy, as it was there during the December cold spell when the place felt like being on Pluto:

Posted Image

We haven't had many big spiders yet, although we have a false black widow living in the garage but everytime we try to remove it it runs in a small gap in the wall Posted Image I dread seeing those huge black house spiders, though I will be moving to university next month so hope I won't have to put up with many!!

Love these spiders, my house could be full of them and I wouldn't care....I'd much rather have these than the house spiders; cellar spiders prey on house spiders, which is probably why I wouldn't mind a few of these bad boys around the place.

Erghhh. As much as I respect the fact they keep midges and flies etc away, I still hate the things. I can manage with those ones with the spindly legs, but any bigger ones and i'll refuse to sleep if one is in my room until its launched out the back window. If they didn't lurk in unexpected places and requested access to my room first, then I might not worry so much.

Living near open fields doesn't help either. We get some chunky buggers round here.

The worst I have had so far, is when I had to use a pint glass to catch this massive one in my bedroom once - the really big hairy 'proper' house spiders. I got the glass within cm of catching it and it 'fell' off the side of the wall towards me and landed on arm. They pretend they move slow and as soon as you try catch them they run ridiculously fast. Nearly had a heart attack.

I'll never man up to spiders. Posted Image

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Erghhh. As much as I respect the fact they keep midges and flies etc away, I still hate the things. I can manage with those ones with the spindly legs, but any bigger ones and i'll refuse to sleep if one is in my room until its launched out the back window. If they didn't lurk in unexpected places and requested access to my room first, then I might not worry so much.

Living near open fields doesn't help either. We get some chunky buggers round here.

The worst I have had so far, is when I had to use a pint glass to catch this massive one in my bedroom once - the really big hairy 'proper' house spiders. I got the glass within cm of catching it and it 'fell' off the side of the wall towards me and landed on arm. They pretend they move slow and as soon as you try catch them they run ridiculously fast. Nearly had a heart attack.

I'll never man up to spiders. Posted Image

I share this sentiment. House spiders are vile, sinister looking things.

• Like 1

I share this sentiment. House spiders are vile, sinister looking things.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with huge spiders they get in Australia.....

Posted Image

Edited by Chris K

Posted Image

This is why I'd never consider moving to Australia. I'd never be able to relax.

Personally, I'll never forget one evening when I was lay on my bed when I heard a haunting scream from my brother's bedroom. Turns out he'd been lay in bed watching TV when a rather large Tegnaria Gigantea (giant house spider) had fallen from the ceiling straight onto his face. If that had been me, I'd have evacuated my bowels several times over before passing out in fear!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

This stuff works a treat. I spray it along skirting boards and doors / windows twice a year. I've lived in this house 2 years now and had 1 big spider. The garage though, now that's a different story. Proves it works though as they're all hiding in there instead!

http://spiderex.co.uk/

Posted Image

Now that WOULD give me a heart attack. That's something I will dread coming across if I go to Australia next year! That looks like a Huntsman spider which is harmless to humans but nevertheless I would not be able to sleep with one of those roaming the house!

Edited by Don

There was a large 'giant house spider' on the the wall the other week, tennis ball size/cup sized in diamater easily, 2-3 inches. They scare me. The standard domestic ones are a bit evil too.

http://en.wikipedia....nt_house_spider

(do not look if arachnaphobe)

Edited by Barb-

I didn't know that those giant house spiders could bite through human skin Posted Image that doesn't help my fear of them at all!!

Edited by DeepSnow

Now that WOULD give me a heart attack. That's something I will dread coming across if I go to Australia next year! That looks like a Huntsman spider which is harmless to humans but nevertheless I would not be able to sleep with one of those roaming the house!

When I was there I had to rescue five grown electricity engineers from one of those. If it's any consolation, they don't tend to go indoors much (the hunstmen, not the men, that is).

No native British spider is dangerous to humans. If you spot something the size of a saucer with red- or yellow-striped furry legs in a bunch of bananas on the other hand....

I didn't know that those giant house spiders could bite through human skin Posted Image that doesn't help my fear of them at all!!

They can't!

Don't panic!

When I was there I had to rescue five grown electricity engineers from one of those. If it's any consolation, they don't tend to go indoors much (the hunstmen, not the men, that is).

No native British spider is dangerous to humans. If you spot something the size of a saucer with red- or yellow-striped furry legs in a bunch of bananas on the other hand....

They can't!

Don't panic!

Really? phew! I got this from wiki and thats why i said it "The bite of this species does not pose a threat to humans or pets, although it is the only species of the whole Agelenid family to be able to bite through human skin proper (altogether)." - must learn to stop using wiki lol

No they cant, but the false widow,now your talking.

No they cant, but the false widow,now your talking.

Thats why we tried to catch the false widow and move it, apparently its bite is equal to a bee/wasp sting! Being we have cats as well we don't want to rist it biting one of them if they ever tried to get it! Will have to hope it don't decide to start a family...

Thats why we tried to catch the false widow and move it, apparently its bite is equal to a bee/wasp sting! Being we have cats as well we don't want to rist it biting one of them if they ever tried to get it! Will have to hope it don't decide to start a family...

Found a nice big muumy false widow last year under the bed lol, removed to garden.,