Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Metoffice 1981-2010 Averages

reef

Posted

After a long wait, the MetOffice have finally finished compiling the latest 1981-2010 averages:

http://www.metoffice...te/uk/averages/

At present a few fields are missing, but temperatures, rainfall, sunshine, frost days and snow days are all complete.

Apart from the obvious increase in mean temperatures of generally around 0.2-0.3C compared to the older 1971-2000 average, rainfall is marginally higher and frost and snow days lower, but what is most notable is how sunshine levels have gradually being increasing over the decades. Taking my location for example:

Annual Sunshine hours

1961-1990: 1420

1971-2000: 1477

1981-2010: 1546

The increases are similar almost everywhere.

Very interesting indeed and not an unwelcome trend for many I imagine.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

After a long wait, the MetOffice have finally finished compiling the latest 1981-2010 averages:

http://www.metoffice...te/uk/averages/

At present a few fields are missing, but temperatures, rainfall, sunshine, frost days and snow days are all complete.

Apart from the obvious increase in mean temperatures of generally around 0.2-0.3C compared to the older 1971-2000 average, rainfall is marginally higher and frost and snow days lower, but what is most notable is how sunshine levels have gradually being increasing over the decades. Taking my location for example:

Annual Sunshine hours

1961-1990: 1420

1971-2000: 1477

1981-2010: 1546

The increases are similar almost everywhere.

Very interesting indeed and not an unwelcome trend for many I imagine.

Except of course in Telford and Aberdeen

Posted

I noticed these were out at last and had a little browse the other day.

As well as those changes reef noted I also noticed the mean temps for December went down, with average snow lying days increasing, probably partly due to December 2010.

I wonder if it's just random coincidence causing the increase in average sunshine hours, or if there is actually a reason for this like maybe improvements in air quality over the years maybe?

I was a bit disappointed though that it looks like they won't publish a 1981-2010 average in thunder days at all though, as I was looking forward to seeing that and I had heard rumours of maybe a more detailed map but apparently not.

I also noticed for July and August for my particular valley mean max temps had actually decreased slightly on the mapped averages, with the '21-22C' colour retreating from the valley a bit and moving inland slightly. despite increasing almost everywhere else. I wonder if that was real due to more southerly flows/sea breezes or if it's just the way the means were calculated?

Apart from the obvious increase in mean temperatures of generally around 0.2-0.3C compared to the older 1971-2000 average, rainfall is marginally higher and frost and snow days lower,

Of course this actually represents the differences between 1971-80 and 2001-10.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Darn it will have redo my web site.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Oh dear.. Braemar will soon have London averages.