Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Where Are All The Wasps

UV-RAY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

notably absent around here, however, it has been a poor summer all around for insects. much as though many of us loath wasps and wish they would all vanish, there is a much more complicated issue with the general lack of insects; bats. The numbers of bats this summer have suffered horribly, the very wet summer has not only reduced the numbers of insects, but also the mating opportunities for insects (hence numbers) and foraging opportunities for bats. The wasps we notice, as many of us despise them, but their low apparent numbers are symptomatic of wider issues in our natural world due to the abysmal summer.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Saw some at the recycling centre sipping the dregs from the booze cans... hic.. Still none here around the garden, even though blackberries and some apples are available,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Normally I start getting them in my house late July onwards, but only had a single one this year, in my kitchen at the end of July. Although I have started to see a few knocking around recently, albeit small ones but I guessed it's because it is September and that is when they are known to be notorious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Seen hardly any this year which is good news for them and me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I haven't seen any wasps this year at all to be honest which is unusual.

However, there has been noticeably more bees (bumbles and honey bees)around my garden compared to last year. Considering its been a relatively poor Summer, I'm slightly surprised.

I like bees though. Wasps are just pointless??

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Hardly seen any wasps this yr at all. One insect i have seen alot of since july is the daddy long legs or horsefly or whatever their called.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hardly seen any wasps this yr at all. One insect i have seen alot of since july is the daddy long legs or horsefly or whatever their called.

Cranefly. Bee careful not to confuse the daddy long-leg spider with daddy long-legs too, two different animals. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've seen a few wasps chewing wood, over the past few weeks, so I'm hoping they've been tricked into autumn nest-building. A nice '63-type winter would go some way towards wiping-out next year's brood?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I've just had three in the kitchen whilst preparing tonights BBQ. I think the lure of chicken satay and sticky ribs is too much for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I've seen a few wasps chewing wood, over the past few weeks, so I'm hoping they've been tricked into autumn nest-building. A nice '63-type winter would go some way towards wiping-out next year's brood?

A nice '62-'63 type winter will do everyone the world of good :D Chances of it happening......<0.1%

Posted

Judging by my experience at lunchtime, they're all in the garden of a pub in Compton in Surrey! Hundreds of the evil little blighters.

Posted

I think I've only seen one wasp all summer. We've had plenty of slugs, every morning I have to clear them out of our rabbit hutch, I don't think I've ever seen so many. I'm dreading the house spider making an appearance, role on the first frost which should get rid of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It has been lovely this year. Hardly any wasps all year, especially compared to the last few years.

Plenty of bees, but very few wasps.