Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will My Washing Dry?

moW

I'm not a weather expert but I notice that the forecast quotes humidity. Obviously I won't hang the washing on the line if it's raining, but can I use some combination of the other items in the forecast to tell me if clothes will come in any drier than they went out. Humidity and wind speed perhaps.

Posted

I think wind speed has more effect, and if it's in the sun the material is warmed which helps enormously.

The principles are the same as drying hay or straw enough for baling, but it can be surprisingly difficult to predict sometimes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Drying mine outside is generally reserved from earliest sometime in March to latest sometime in October as outside that time so little sunlight falls on the garden and the days so short that it doesn't get chance to dry - even if I put it out early.

I find a keen breeze with low humidity and plenty of sunshine will do it fast. A hot & sunny day will have it dry in an hour or so. A cool, sunless & humid day is the absolute worst for it (well apart from a wet day of course).

Do so much prefer drying it outside rather than in the tumble dryer - which damages clothes and costs a ton to run. Alternatively covering the whole living room in damp clothes forever to dry so they end up smelling musty plus can introduce a damp problem into the house. Better when the radiators are on but then relies on me rotating everything periodically or you end up with some baked dry clothes and some still damp.

All in all - dry summer weather is easiest for this particular activity! Like so many other things...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

If you have a greenhouse or conservatory, they are great for drying washing in. Especially on days like today.