Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer Sun

Astronaut Neil Armstrong Dies Aged 82

Astronaut Neil Armstrong has died aged 82, according to reports in the US.

He had heart-bypass surgery earlier this month to relieve blocked coronary arteries.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission in July 1969, he became the first human to set foot on the moon.

He radioed back to Earth the historic news of "one giant leap for mankind" and spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

He and his wife Carol married in 1999 and made their home in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, but he has largely stayed out of public view in recent years

He spoke at Ohio State University in February at an event honouring fellow astronaut John Glenn and the 50th anniversary of Mr Glenn becoming the first American to orbit the Earth.

http://news.sky.com/story/977119/astronaut-neil-armstrong-dies-aged-82

Very sad to hear that. He was one of my childhood heros.

Neil Armstrong's family have said he died from cardiovascular surgery complications.

RIP, never to be forgotten, a true legend for all mankind sad.png

Yes, well said.

(My husband is proud to have his autographed photo)

B.

Sad indeed. Those of us old enough will never forget those ghostly tv images or the sheer wonder of looking up at the moon & knowing there were men actually there right now!

Maybe it's just me, but it's a hollow feeling now that I don't share the planet with the first person ever to walk on the Moon.

A person who will be remembered for as long as humanity exists.

R.I.P Neil Armstrong - a part of history that will never be forgotten!

RIP Neil Armstrong. First man to go where no man has ever been before. A true hero.

R.I.P Neil Armstrong you will be missed.

10510_10151220061407498_1099934490_n.jpg

R.I.P Neil Armstrong

"Every time you look up at the moon on a clear night, Give him a quick wink"

“In my own view, the important achievement of Apollo was a demonstration that humanity is not forever chained to this planet, and our visions go rather further than that, and our opportunities are unlimited.â€

— Neil A. Armstrong

A pioneer, a space hero, his name will stand along with those of Columbus, Magellan, Cook etc in the field of human exploration

RIP Neil Armstrong

yes RIP Neil-I remember sitting up until the early hours and being about 3 feet from the black and white TV trying to see him stepping on to the surface of the moon-magic moment.

"We may mount from this dull Earth and, viewing it from upon high, consider whether Nature has laid out all her cost and finery upon this small speck of dirt.

So, like travellers into other distant countries, we shall be better able to judge of what's to be done at home, know how to make a true estimate of and set its own value upon eveything.

We shall be less apt to admire what this world calls great, shall nobly despise those trifles the generality of Men set their affections on, when we know that there are multitudes of such Earths inhabited and adorn'd as well as our own."

The Celestial Worlds Discovered, Christian Huygens, c.1690

"We come in peace for all mankind."

Mare Tranquilatis, Neil Armstrong, 21 July 1969

Gone, but never to be forgotten, the journey is just begun.

ffO.

Who will now have the courage to boldly go? Even the longest journey has to begin with a small step.

It was his clear blue eyes that seemed to be looking straight through you that I'll not forget; it seemed that having done something so extraordinary, he was always in a different place. But he didn't get on the gravy train, so stayed 'one of us', as an engineer, and that for me seals his status as one of the greatest Americans.