Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ocean Weather Ship Videos

knocker

Posted

I notice that IAEGMOOH, http://www.weatherships.co.uk/ has uploaded a couple of videos on You Tube. One taken by his father and one a documentary. I remember the latter as I was on board the Weather Adviser at the time. I'm filling a balloon, etc, and wearing my famous Celtic pullover. It was bit diffferent in a force 12. The wee ginger haired chappy was in charge of Noble Denton many years later.

Edited by knocker

Posted

Note the old Mark 1 radiosonde. It sure was a hefty piece of equipment. It used Goldbeaters Skin, the outer membrane of a calf's intestine, as a humidity sensor. It had a pretty hefty lag on it as it got higher which is, I suspect, the reason that early radiosonde humidity readings are treated with some suspicion. Mind various radiosondes were used around the world and that didn't help either. These days they are virtually all Vaisala.

Posted

Nice to see that Fred, was that Dick Ebling with the thermometer early on, was Hugh Cumming also in shot briefly?

I still think any of you that did that job were not quite right in the head but without you the Atlantic sure was an empty space in bad weather! I had forgotten there were 9 ships initially.

well worth watching folks

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Nice to see that Fred, was that Dick Ebling with the thermometer early on, was Hugh Cumming also in shot briefly?

I still think any of you that did that job were not quite right in the head but without you the Atlantic sure was an empty space in bad weather! I had forgotten there were 9 ships initially.

well worth watching folks

Yes John that was Dick Ebling. Did you know him? He wasn't on the ships long. I don't remember Hugh being on there at the time.

You can picture what it could be like in bad weather as the balloon shed would completely fill with water which was quite usefull if you were in the middle of filling a balloon. Fortunately you did get some warning so made sure you were clinging onto the hydrogen cylinders before becoming submerged. Off to get the violin out.

Edited by knocker

Posted

Dick and I were on the first Applied Meteorology Course for forecasters, I sometimes picked him up and also on the AFC.