Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

The Premier League

Arsenal are selling Van Persie to Man. U. As much as I admire Wenger I really can't understand the policy at Arsenal.

Arsenal are selling Van Persie to Man. U. As much as I admire Wenger I really can't understand the policy at Arsenal.

I am not sure Wenger had much choice, RVP engineered the situation and all Arsenal could do was try to get the best out of the deal.

I know what Arsenal fans are saying tonight and its not 'good luck to him'!

I agree but there has been such an exodus of top quality players in the last few years something must be not quite right.

I think the Gooners are just facing-up to reality: like us, they cannot expect to compete - financially - with the likes of Man Ure, Scum City and Chelski?

I think Arsenal's problems with players leaving stem at least partly from their lack of trophies since the mid "noughties", despite having come very close to winning the Premier League on a couple of occasions since then. Moving to Man Utd, Robin van Persie is unlikely to see out a few years without silverware, although he might have difficulty getting a regular first team slot if he proves injury-prone and some of the other first-team players help Rooney out with scoring goals.

Lack of silverware also depletes the side's confidence, especially when the side consists mainly of young up-and-coming talents rather than experienced winners, hence the collapse a couple of seasons ago when Arsenal were in with a good shot at the title.

As Pete also noted, Arsenal don't have the financial reserves of Man Utd, Chelsea or Man City. Moving to the Emirates Stadium didn't help their finances either, and it may not be entirely coincidental that their lack of silverware started at around the same time of the move. Nonetheless, Arsene Wenger has brought in more significant signings this season than I can remember for quite some time, and the question really is how well they fit into the squad- I remember that last season's new signings struggled early in the season before the squad got a good run of results later in the season.

I dont think things have been the same at Arsenal since David Dein walked out, he is a true life long Arsenal supporter and would not have gone without good reason?

As they say its not what you do its the way you do it, and RVP has stabbed Arsenal in the back then twisted the knife. Henry and Fabragas left Arsenal without the doing that and we always be welcome. I can imagine all these young kids in their Arsenal shirts crying themselves to sleep last night.

Oh, for the days of players like Tony Adams.

As a Spurs supporter (my second team behind the not so mighty Chelmsford City) I feel a bit concerned as to how things appear to be going.

Having got rid of our "Arry" we have in his place someone who did not exactly cover himself in glory whilst managing Chelski.

In addition so far at the end of the season we have seen the following players leave the club:-

• Vedran Corluka
  • Niko Kranjcar
  • Ryan Nelson
  • Steven Pienaar
  • Louis Saha
In addition it would appear that Luka Modric is on his way to Spain for £25M plus another £4.7M for add-ons.

It is also reported in this morning's Metro that Liverpool might be keen to secure the services of either Michael Dawson

or Steven Caulker if Daniel Agger moves to Manchester City

There are also rumours to the effect that Giovani dos Santos could move to Inter Milan for goalkeeper Julio Ceasor as part of a potential swap deal.

The number of outfielding players on the club's books is rapidly declining with the nly additions to date being:-

• Gylfi Surdsson an Icelandic defender signed from Hoffenheim on an undisclosed fee
  • Jan Vertonghen from Ajax again for an undisclosed fee.

I would suggest that their acquisition has hardly set the transfer market alight with excitement.

For the forward line we only have one on our books. Very good as he is, as borne out by his excellent goal against italy in last night's friendly against Italy Defoe is rather injury prone.

Perhaps AVB is considering following the Spanish National Team's example and playing without a striker. That should go down extremely well with he White Hart Lane faithful!

The trouble with Levy a shrewd a business man as he is, as my old boss used to say of someone who did not like to spend out unless he really had to do so " he is as tight as a bull's I have a problem at fly time"!

Tottenham do not have the excuse of having at the present time to fund the capital costs of a new ground and so fans are questioning why so few incoming players have arrived this year when compared to the number that have exited the club.

Kind Regards

Dave

As a Spurs supporter (my second team behind the not so mighty Chelmsford City) I feel a bit concerned as to how things appear to be going.

Your Kudos has just gone down in my book...living in Chelmsford and supporting Spurs is not the done thing old boy!

Did i see Tony Adams name mentioned above..i played against Mr Adams at schoolboy level (which shows my age) just threw that in for some name dropping purposes.

Anyway i hope that one day an English team will win the premier league once again..cant see that in the foreseeable...same old same old im afraid.

Having got rid of our "Arry" we have in his place someone who did not exactly cover himself in glory whilst managing Chelski.

The number of outfielding players on the club's books is rapidly declining with the nly additions to date being:-

• Gylfi Surdsson an Icelandic defender signed from Hoffenheim on an undisclosed fee
  • Jan Vertonghen from Ajax again for an undisclosed fee.

I would suggest that their acquisition has hardly set the transfer market alight with excitement.

Tottenham do not have the excuse of having at the present time to fund the capital costs of a new ground and so fans are questioning why so few incoming players have arrived this year when compared to the number that have exited the club.

Kind Regards

Dave

Unfortunately, Dave, it's looking like we might soon be paying for major ground-improvements. Maybe the seats will be sold in a BOGOF deal!

If I was the spurs manager I would play Steven Caulker every week, he looks a class defender, and will probably have many caps for England and we are gutted that he has not returned. As for Gylfi, apparently the fee was £8m and circa £50k a week, I won't repeat my comments from the earlier thread on him.

It's a shame J1. I'd hoped that he was coming back to play, not to be apart of some whacky part-exchange deal.

Your Kudos has just gone down in my book...living in Chelmsford and supporting Spurs is not the done thing old boy!

Did i see Tony Adams name mentioned above..i played against Mr Adams at schoolboy level (which shows my age) just threw that in for some name dropping purposes.

Anyway i hope that one day an English team will win the premier league once again..cant see that in the foreseeable...same old same old im afraid.

I am a Spurs supporter by proxy as my wife was originally from Tottenham, having lived in Seven Sisters Road as a child.

Were you in England when Tony Adams was charged for drink driving and given a prison sentence? He served his time in Chelmsford prison and I believe he played for the prison team whilst there.

Did you also know that the film that was the spin off of the popular comedy series Porridge had a number of scenes filmed at Chelmsford Gaol and the football team that was featured included a number of Chelmsford City first team players?

Kind Regards

Dave

I am a Spurs supporter by proxy as my wife was originally from Tottenham, having lived in Seven Sisters Road as a child.

Were you in England when Tony Adams was charged for drink driving and given a prison sentence? He served his time in Chelmsford prison and I believe he played for the prison team whilst there.

Did you also know that the film that was the spin off of the popular comedy series Porridge had a number of scenes filmed at Chelmsford Gaol and the football team that was featured included a number of Chelmsford City first team players?

Kind Regards

Dave

Funny you should mention that i was still in Chelmsford when Tony was in Prison there and we did play a friendly in the prison..Tony wasn't allowed to play (im sure he was instructed not to by Arsenal) but did help out managing the team...i played in the prison a few times and yes was aware they filmed porridge there...the pitches are exactly as they are in the film ..except that they have four full sizes pitches..or did when i played there..interestingly enough they were a good side who just enjoyed playing..not like when we played against the police who were a viscous arrogant bunch.

My prediction for the season to come.

1. Manchester City - That attacking firepower, and I think they will have enough as the chemistry in the team looks very strong at the moment

2. Manchester Utd - They will give it their all, and have made strong signings such as Kagawa and van Persie, but I don't think they have enough

3. Chelsea - Made some good midfield signings, but their defence looks lacking, and Torres could be inconsistent. A good CL run will make up for it though

4. Arsenal - Good business from Wenger, but Song and van Persie really did shine last season, and the performances of their new players will be vital

5. Liverpool - Good pre-season transfer work, and a new style from Rodgers look effective, but the squad depth and strength is not quite 'top 4' level

6. Tottenham - Last season will have hurt, and despite some good new reinforcements, the loss of Modric could unsettle the side

7. Southampton - A surprise package, plenty of money and new signings, an effective style of play, they could easily find themselves in the top half

8. Everton - Another solid season, but the loss of Cahill could damage them. Signings of Mirallas and Pienaar look good though

9. Fulham - Very promising end to last season, some good youth prospects and an effective manager, should be a strong season

10. Newcastle - After a very good season last time round, and a few good signings, a European run as the honeymoon ends will see them return to reality, but still pretty strong

11. Reading - Look a very strong outfit, and have made some good signings, like Southampton, they are a team on the up

12. Swansea - With a similar style of play, experienced manager and good signings, they look strong again, but it'll be harder without Allen and Sigurdsson

13. Norwich - They looked at ease for much of last season, and despite the loss of Lambert, I expect them to hold it and punch above their weight yet again

14. Sunderland - Not a promising window at the moment, but O'Neill should keep this side up, though it will be a big test

15. West Brom - They've made some good improvements to their side, but Clarke is unproven as a manager, and it will be close after a superb previous season

16. Stoke - This will be their hardest season, a very direct style of play, which has been effective, but with a Premier League as strong as this one, they will struggle

17. Aston Villa - After an horrendous season last time around, they've hired a very good manager in Paul Lambert, but they don't have a great side, and it will be nip and tuck

18. QPR - Despite tons of money, they've made some poor signings, and will struggle massively and will be dragged into the dogfight, which they won't survive

19. West Ham - They have some power in their side, but I don't think they will have enough on their way back up, and Allardyce's style will be punished

20. Wigan - Finally, Wigan fall into the Championship, they don't have the depth to stay in again, and after a great fight, they finally succomb to the big boys

Bolton first, Birmingham second, Leeds, Cardiff, Wolves and Blackpool in the play-offs.

Swansea making it look rather easy today! 5-0-up at QPR and Fulham beating Norwich 5-0

My prediction for the season to come.

1. Manchester City - That attacking firepower, and I think they will have enough as the chemistry in the team looks very strong at the moment

2. Manchester Utd - They will give it their all, and have made strong signings such as Kagawa and van Persie, but I don't think they have enough

3. Chelsea - Made some good midfield signings, but their defence looks lacking, and Torres could be inconsistent. A good CL run will make up for it though

4. Arsenal - Good business from Wenger, but Song and van Persie really did shine last season, and the performances of their new players will be vital

5. Liverpool - Good pre-season transfer work, and a new style from Rodgers look effective, but the squad depth and strength is not quite 'top 4' level

6. Tottenham - Last season will have hurt, and despite some good new reinforcements, the loss of Modric could unsettle the side

7. Southampton - A surprise package, plenty of money and new signings, an effective style of play, they could easily find themselves in the top half

8. Everton - Another solid season, but the loss of Cahill could damage them. Signings of Mirallas and Pienaar look good though

9. Fulham - Very promising end to last season, some good youth prospects and an effective manager, should be a strong season

10. Newcastle - After a very good season last time round, and a few good signings, a European run as the honeymoon ends will see them return to reality, but still pretty strong

11. Reading - Look a very strong outfit, and have made some good signings, like Southampton, they are a team on the up

12. Swansea - With a similar style of play, experienced manager and good signings, they look strong again, but it'll be harder without Allen and Sigurdsson

13. Norwich - They looked at ease for much of last season, and despite the loss of Lambert, I expect them to hold it and punch above their weight yet again

14. Sunderland - Not a promising window at the moment, but O'Neill should keep this side up, though it will be a big test

15. West Brom - They've made some good improvements to their side, but Clarke is unproven as a manager, and it will be close after a superb previous season

16. Stoke - This will be their hardest season, a very direct style of play, which has been effective, but with a Premier League as strong as this one, they will struggle

17. Aston Villa - After an horrendous season last time around, they've hired a very good manager in Paul Lambert, but they don't have a great side, and it will be nip and tuck

18. QPR - Despite tons of money, they've made some poor signings, and will struggle massively and will be dragged into the dogfight, which they won't survive

19. West Ham - They have some power in their side, but I don't think they will have enough on their way back up, and Allardyce's style will be punished

20. Wigan - Finally, Wigan fall into the Championship, they don't have the depth to stay in again, and after a great fight, they finally succomb to the big boys

Bolton first, Birmingham second, Leeds, Cardiff, Wolves and Blackpool in the play-offs.

Interesting predictions there IF, as for your team Liverpool it's all familiar story currently at WBA.

My thoughts on what the final table could be like:

1. Manchester City

2. Chelsea

3. Manchester United

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Liverpool

7. Newcastle

8. Everton

9. Fulham

10. Sunderland

11. Reading

12. Swansea

13. Aston Villa

14. Stoke

15. West Brom

16. Southampton

17. West Ham

18. Norwich

19. QPR

20. Wigan

So many questions to be answered as to how Man City will try to retain their title, what sort of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Tottenham we'll see and what surprises could be in store, come May 2013, we should have a better idea of what sort of answers we'll get.

Some very interesting scores today too, MOTD should be worth watching tonight.

AND HEREEEEE I AM! I wake up hungover and still slightly drunk to find we win 3-0 against Liverpool...oh and there's a thunderstorm incoming. Life is good :p

Well we played utter crap. If this is BR 'new regime' then well it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season...Loosing to West Brom...geez.

Fulham and Swansea played well today.

Well we played utter crap. If this is BR 'new regime' then well it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season...Loosing to West Brom...geez.

We finished a couple of places below you last season.

Kain, this is one match fgs.

And yes, as Nick says, WBA aren't very different to us, in fact you could have considered them favourites today at The Hawthorns.

Trouble is Liverpool still got the same players and unless you can score goals cannot see hoe BR can improve you from last year.Minchu is a class act for the Swans he will be the best buy this year in the Premiership.

I think BR needs time to turn around Liverpool. Regardless, a terrible result for Liverpool.

Well done to West Brom, Fulham and Swansea.