Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 16th August 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Chief Forecaster at the Met Office states there is scope for 25mm rainfall in an hour locally with some places looking at 50-75mm within the period.

Not good at all.

Can't see it up here based on the latest modelling? NAE and GFS both agree any precipitation will be negligible away from Wales/SW England, both having downgraded precipitation rates overnight.....even in the aforementioned areas.

Put it this way, I've never ever seen both the GFS and the NAE both out by 45-70mm at this range!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

I'm pretty glad I decided to skip today doing the Gritstone Way again, given the forecast yesterday was ebbing between just being overcast and damp to today's probability of storms embedded within this system. A flimsy tent in high winds and driving rain isn't much fun for anybody.

Posted

absolutely throwing it down in biblical/apocalyptic amounts here right now - typical welsh weather

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, or any other powerful storms

Hi everyone!

Just wondered if anybody knew if any decent storms were likely to happen in Tyne and Wear?

By looking at the storm thing - i'm assuming there's a high chance. But, i'm new to all of this.unsure.png

I have also looked on the Cape, only it seems like not much is happening in my area according to that.

Just to add: We have had a downpour, almost torrential style - only that has passed now, and it actually looks quite nice out!

Edited by lilclairey2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Can't see it up here based on the latest modelling? NAE and GFS both agree any precipitation will be negligible away from Wales/SW England, both having downgraded precipitation rates overnight.....even in the aforementioned areas.

UKMO High Res charts show some heavy rain for your region.

post-12721-0-67883600-1345203602_thumb.ppost-12721-0-43408700-1345203611_thumb.j

I guess this is what they are basing there warnings upon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

post-12721-0-67883600-1345203602_thumb.ppost-12721-0-43408700-1345203611_thumb.j

You have a gift for understatement!

Posted

Looks that way.....no idea how accurate they are as I've never seen them before. Where did you find them? Shows the heavy rain in a narrow strip running west of here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Just had 30 minutes of some of the most intense rain I have ever seen ..jeepers, time to build an ark !

Posted

Looks that way.....no idea how accurate they are as I've never seen them before. Where did you find them? Shows the heavy rain in a narrow strip running west of here

Got them from Ian Fergusson over on twitter. They are about as High-Res as you can get apparantely.

Posted

Got them from Ian Fergusson over on twitter. They are about as High-Res as you can get apparantely.

Ahhhh ok....I did wonder as they don't look like something the METO would want freely dished out.

Posted

Put it this way, I've never ever seen both the GFS and the NAE both out by 45-70mm at this range!

He may not be including Crewe at the moment but to disregard the top man watching events minute by minute is a rather cavalier attitude perhaps?

Posted

He may not be including Crewe at the moment but to disregard the top man watching events minute by minute is a rather cavalier attitude perhaps?

No disregarding John. More of a shock that the GFS and NAE have downgraded totals whilst the Metoffice are suggesting 3 inches. That's significant model divergence......even if the NAE and especially GFS are lower resolution.

This being said, I've always maintained I'd back the Metoffice pros in such situations; despite some of the opinions on here.

Posted

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - i'm drowning - what a world...... whata world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Some very heavy outbursts here now causing surface water everywhere.

I'm not even in the main firing line either, I hate to think what its like the other side of the river.

post-12721-0-31443600-1345205247_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - i'm drowning - what a world...... whata world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a grip! Man up and get yer canoe ready like the rest of us here in Walesblum.gif

Posted

Does anyone else think the worst of it doesn't seem to be where the amber warning is?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

That does look pretty amazing on radar, dont think ive ever seen such widespread torrential rainfall. Must be the orographic lifting over the hills and mountains, by the time it reaches here itll be just light rain no doubt

Posted

Chris Fawkes on the BBC one O clock news mentioned Thunderstorms over South West England & Wales this afternoon, then later into the Midlands today???

Posted

Just mentioned heavy rain for Birmingham/Wolverhampton/Walsall area within the next hour on the news.

Posted

Chris Fawkes on the BBC one O clock news mentioned Thunderstorms over South West England & Wales this afternoon, then later into the Midlands today???

Just wondering if anything thundery will form on the Eastern edge of the main band or even slightly detached from it.

In Warminster we've had several sharp showers along with warm hazy sunshine from time to time and the sky to the SE is quite clear so plenty of heat feeding

into the system from the S/SE. Might be interesting as these showers move NE.

Posted

The main rainband looks to be weakening?

I agree, unless with the timing at highest

Daily maxima the moisture will be sucked up into the atmosphere as its incredibly humid here.