Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 16th August 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Looking like we could see some thunderstorms on that front forming tomorrow evening across the midlands as that hot air collides against it? Anyone got any information to talk or post about this?

See Matt Hugo's twitter feed mate. Leeds forecast soundings look good!

Can't provide link sorry, on phone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

See Matt Hugo's twitter feed mate. Leeds forecast soundings look good!

Can't provide link sorry, on phone!

Leeds as in just a few miles to my east? What time is this for, i didn't think there was any storm potential tomorrow?

Posted

Leeds as in just a few miles to my east? What time is this for, i didn't think there was any storm potential tomorrow?

Not tomorrow, Sunday afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Here you go matey

sounding12.curr.1600lst.d2.png

Posted

Here you go matey

Thanks for that. Wow, there is some CAPE there and a lot of moisture. The scope is there for some big storms this weekend, if only we can get a trigger. Anyone fancy heading up into the atmosphere and lighting a match!

Or maybe a trip to France:

post-2719-0-48505700-1345149570_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

If only, If only.... in the late 90s this is what I could see out my window (Albeit this is Innsbruck Airport) in London as an overnight MCS blasted the capital.

2146553.jpg

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

Well, never heard the word thunder so much in a forecast until this evening...Helen Willetts going hell for leather with the t word, nasty downpours, the works (mind you the south east will get a few flecks but not more lol...hot and humid few days to come here from tomorrow, yaaaay!!!!)

Just watched it back....she said the word thunder, thundery or thunderstorms NINE times looool

Not once for us from Schafernaker on the regional!!!

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

http://www.estofex.org/

Looking ok for some action tomoz!!!!

Given up with Estofex, sometimes they are spot on but so many times they are not, yesterday produced nothing even though I was smack bang in the middle of a level 1. The same goes to the rest of them, but I understand forecasting is hard.

Posted

Given up with Estofex, sometimes they are spot on but so many times they are not, yesterday produced nothing even though I was smack bang in the middle of a level 1. The same goes to the rest of them, but I understand forecasting is hard.

Thats the nature of the beast with storms!!!! Unpredictable

To be honest i think the rain will be the sour puss tomorrow i cant see storms blowing when there is so much precip about. Will be one to follow in the day. Any breaks will fuel but forecasting were the breaks will appear is anyone's guess

Edited by iamstuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Well, never heard the word thunder so much in a forecast until this evening...Helen Willetts going hell for leather with the t word, nasty downpours, the works (mind you the south east will get a few flecks but not more lol...hot and humid few days to come here from tomorrow, yaaaay!!!!)

Just watched it back....she said the word thunder, thundery or thunderstorms NINE times looool

Not once for us from Schafernaker on the regional!!!

yes,just watched it myself harry,and she mentioned it for my neck of the woods for tomoz,sat&sun,i hope something will come through for you by the end of the weekendsmile.png

Posted

That stuff in the channel, any sferics?

nanoprops dude,it happens regular

i think it's called nanoprops but could not find on wikisearch.gif or have i spelled it wrong

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

i think it's called nanoprops but could not find on wikisearch.gif or have i spelled it wrong

Anaprop is the word you're after :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

anaprop: anomalous propagation (of radio waves in this case).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

anaprop...an acronym for Anomalous Propagation....false radar returns normally caused by refraction..

'nanoprops' on the other hand sounds like some futuristic miniaturized propulsion system...lol

Posted

Anaprop is the word you're after smile.png

doh.gif thanks,i new it was something prop

Posted

'nanoprops' on the other hand sounds like some futuristic miniaturized propulsion system...lol

it's a make of a aquatic pump,+ this

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/4131211.stm

anyway back on topic lol

looking forward to the next few day's, it's been a exiting few weeks.

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

it's a make of a aquatic pump,+ this

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/4131211.stm

anyway back on topic lol

looking forward to the next few day's, it's been a exiting few weeks.

You learn something everyday!...lol

Interesting forecast from Estofex.....For satuday,definite possibilites for some thunderstorms to develop through the spine of England near the boundary of a quasi-stationary cold front should cloud break enough to allow insolation...High pressure ridging in from the near continent will probably result in too stronger cap for convection in the south east on saturday despite high SBCAPE & lift...although extra forcing from surface convergence could result in a rogue shower/storm over East Anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Is Guildford, Surrey actually going to get a decent storm in this gutless, useless disappointment of a summer in the next few days or are we going to have to suffer - YET AGAIN?

Typical, another weekend of stinking humid muck - and probably no storms again. Wish I could summer-hibernate and wake up when this awful excuse for a summer is over and not have to watch the agony of seeing the usual areas getting all the storms again while there is no hope in Hell's chance of anything changing for the better down here in the S.E.

Also about time there were 'surprise developments' here rather than the occasional hopeful forecast being downgraded for us or failing completely like the 26 mm rain this area was supposed to have yesterday when the actual amount was 0.5 mm.

bad.gif

Sorry to gripe - I NEED a storm - I need some excitement to forget the misery that my flat may have to be demolished in due course (structural issues) leading to more stress and uncertainty. This is not a melodramatic joke either.

This horrid summer is seriously doing my head in - I cannot tolerate prolonged boredom and incessant failure frustration disappointment. I've been booted out of the NSC because of the weak thundery showers that have mostly passed this area by over the last 4 months, so sorry I have moaned on this thread.

Posted

Here are a few tweets from Ian Fergusson ( along with a preview at the UKMO Cape Chart ):

GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Latest UKMO high-res modelling indicative of v heavy, poss thundery rain through Severn area N'wards tomorrow early AM.

For example, balance of wet versus dry, v warm conditions in Bristol area tomorrow varies with model runs. Either scenario possible. Argh..

UKMO's extended 4km CAPE modelling for Sun has high values in parts of S, but storm threat low confidence for now: http://t.co/4ZwQEFrz

and this from Matt Hugo:

Doesn't look like much forcing so 2m T/Td likely to be main trigger, but these kind of fcst soundings are interesting - http://t.co/XdQmVI1S

Nice loaded gun sounding for Saturday for example at Fairford as an example http://t.co/1YFEAWIB

The threat of thunderstorms arrives to the S and E of the warm and cold front on this forecast chart http://t.co/lUIw7tLS

Risk is growing for perhaps some big storms on Sun afternoon given high humidity and temps, take Leeds fcst sounding - http://t.co/oL0OhAqb

So it looks like it could swing either way this weekend, even the Pro's are struggling with any degree of certainty!

Posted

First signs of heavy ppn again from the SW,just like last night

post-16960-0-60998600-1345157202_thumb.p