Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Following snow and cold then check this. Record daily cold 26.6deg F -3C 04.30 their time and close to the white pixels is http://www.mjpeg.net/webcams/15861 Magadan Russia LOW: BROKEN

Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted

Following snow and cold then check this. Record daily cold 26.6deg F -3C 04.30 their time and close to the white pixels is http://www.mjpeg.net/webcams/15861 Magadan Russia LOW: BROKEN

more snow since Sunday (2nd pic) in Eastern Russia

post-15601-0-70516300-1346716289_thumb.g

post-15601-0-38173700-1346716342_thumb.g

Posted

Very good to see the first 'real' flurries of snow across Russia and that there are so many cold records falling across the globe, especially in the southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I look forward to the day when the pictures show the whole of the U.K coveren in snow again! I hope we don't have to wait too long this winter! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I look forward to the day when the pictures show the whole of the U.K coveren in snow again! I hope we don't have to wait too long this winter! Posted Image

I think something like 2010 was a once in life time event it was certainly very rare for the UK to see the entire country covered in snow for so long, last winter 2011 / 2012 was more what we've become use to of late apart from November and December 2011

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Only two weeks to the Autumn Equinox then the cold will have more of a chance away from the high mountains we see at the mo , and the snow starting to grip

This link shows the average temp going below 0 about that time http://www.yr.no/place/Russia/Sakha/Verkhoyansk/statistics.html

After that it could be only 90days to a very front loaded (with snow) winter! Posted Image ......lets not think about last year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Some small patches of snow showing up on Cryosphere Today also

http://arctic.atmos....e.color.000.png

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I'm going to be adding maps for new snow with cold records highlighted and the nearest webcam as it comes down from the north and moves west over the next four months.

If you guys have any links to hard to find webcams near or in the highlighted areas and other ideas it would be good.

So Monday looks like this.

post-15601-0-42450400-1346767700_thumb.g

and the nearest webcam was http://www.mjpeg.net/webcams/15861

This idea should improve as it gets more snowy in the Northern Hemisphere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I think something like 2010 was a once in life time event it was certainly very rare for the UK to see the entire country covered in snow for so long, last winter 2011 / 2012 was more what we've become use to of late apart from November and December 2011

Yeah it's not common, but it happened 2 winters in a row.. so who knows?

Posted

A quick look again what the N.H. may try to live up to this winter S.H. Canberra Australia smashes 1946 daily cold record now -4c http://www.weatherch...-30-040912.aspx LOW: BROKEN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Only two weeks to the Autumn Equinox then the cold will have more of a chance away from the high mountains we see at the mo , and the snow starting to grip

This link shows the average temp going below 0 about that time http://www.yr.no/pla...statistics.html

Re: your Autumn Equinox comment. Precisely, as one who thinks of the seasons in conjunction with their proper definitions and not simply their Meteorological definition, I find your link enlightening. As nature does not possess a calendar to which the critters and weather systems obey, you do not hear them say **** me, it is September 1st or whatever. Because of this, you can rule out any specific pattern and this is precisely why September 9th for example, has a UK Maximum Air Temperature record of 34c or thereabouts as it is still pre-Equinox.

Anyway, the crux of what I am trying to say is when looking at your link, you will note a relatively rapid decrease in Average Temperatures from the 21st September onwards. Posted Image Likewise, the Spring Equinox shows the same trend, this time with a rapid increase in Air Temperature.

On the phenomenon of the effects of Equinoxes on natural events, there are many papers studying this, of which this one - http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0034997 relates to bird song.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l

Your forgetting that the previous winter (09/10) had snow cover for a long time also. Posted Image 2009/10 for me was the snowiest.

Are you getting confused between 2011 and 2010? Both November and December featured milder than average temperatures although 2010 of course didn't (nor did December '09)

It all depends on what you define 'worst' winters ... although not many people would consider 2008/09 or 09/10 not severe.

My apologizes if you are referring to winter months rather than whole seasons.

Edited by hedgehog4

Posted

Re: your Autumn Equinox comment. Precisely, as one who thinks of the seasons in conjunction with their proper definitions and not simply their Meteorological definition, I find your link enlightening. As nature does not possess a calendar to which the critters and weather systems obey, you do not hear them say **** me, it is September 1st or whatever. Because of this, you can rule out any specific pattern and this is precisely why September 9th for example, has a UK Maximum Air Temperature record of 34c or thereabouts as it is still pre-Equinox.

Anyway, the crux of what I am trying to say is when looking at your link, you will note a relatively rapid decrease in Average Temperatures from the 21st September onwards. Posted Image Likewise, the Spring Equinox shows the same trend, this time with a rapid increase in Air Temperature.

On the phenomenon of the effects of Equinoxes on natural events, there are many papers studying this, of which this one - http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0034997 relates to bird song.

nicely put gottolovethisweather, it impresses me the massive diffence the far north experiences in daylight hours in only say thirty days from the end of August and by the Equinox the average temps have to get Posted Image Edited by harshwintercoming
  • Like 1

Posted

Here's today's update, we're a little behind in snow in North America and the ice is looking alarmingly small now, although we don't really know how it will affect the Northern hemisphere?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Just saw this on the http://ocean.dmi.dk/...te/index.uk.php

Website and do they know more than the rest of the sites as they are showing quite an increase in ice on their extent but it doesn't correlate with their sst data?? is it phantom ice on the second pic? can anyone explain Lol!

First the anom Chart from today

post-11363-0-79513000-1346841000_thumb.p

And now the actual surface temps with apparently an upshoot of ice??

post-11363-0-98245900-1346840977_thumb.p

Edited by quest4peace

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I think this is the period where we can't seem to get a recovery in the Ice and snow quick enough lol. We are all eager for the explosion of snow and ice. I know I am, but it shouldn't be long now. We are almost at the end of this in between period.

• Like 1

Posted

I think this is the period where we can't seem to get a recovery in the Ice and snow quick enough lol. We are all eager for the explosion of snow and ice. I know I am, but it shouldn't be long now.  We are almost at the end of this in between period.

Unless your of the belief like some others and myself are that less ice could actually give the UK a colder start to winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Unless your of the belief like some others and myself are that less ice could actually give the UK a colder start to winter.

It could well do. But I was referring to the ice cap more than the UK winter. It will be of interest to note just how fast the ice cap spreads as we head into Autumn. So much exposed ocean to absorb the suns energy will definitively have an impact this winter. What impact it will have remains to be seen.

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted

Only 90-100 days to this snow map starts to get really important to my life Posted Image

post-15601-0-11942500-1346850746_thumb.g

Posted

Just saw this on the http://ocean.dmi.dk/...te/index.uk.php

Website and do they know more than the rest of the sites as they are showing quite an increase in ice on their extent but it doesn't correlate with their sst data?? is it phantom ice on the second pic? can anyone explain Lol!

First the anom Chart from today

post-11363-0-79513000-1346841000_thumb.p

And now the actual surface temps with apparently an upshoot of ice??

post-11363-0-98245900-1346840977_thumb.p

There was a very interesting post in the Climate Forum pointing out that the freezing point of water at Arctic salinity and was something like -1.8%, so SST at zero didn't act as an accurate ice indicator.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

I'll have a look at that thank you :)

Posted

More new snow around Canada appox lon lat 75.00,-82.00 but none at nearest webcam

http://www.webcams.t...mmirut-Kimmirut

Also more snow above Burma in Tibet.

The most eastern town in russia Anadyr lon lat 74.019543,113.176759 beats 1986 daily record with a -3c

post-15601-0-75831000-1346884155_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

First snow to appear in Canadian forecast for this season

post-2495-0-34448200-1346940784_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

http://www.skjolden....i/webkamera.htm snow at 4625 feet due on this webcam 20.00-24.00 today and cool time lapse film at bottom of page

street view is here https://maps.google....ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg Enjoy..................edit 8 hours later think maybe they got a wind blown dusting.