Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Snowcover over Scandinavia doesn't issue a cold period of weather, the cold will come regardless, not sure where all of this, "If it isn't snowy in Scandinavia then winter doesn't look good" posts are coming from.

Nobody said that it does, but it does help, as does good snow cover in western Russia (where the primary source of our cold is). If Scandi is very cold, then winds coming from Scandi will be very cold too.. if Scandi is very mild then the effect will be less noticeable, especially since the winds have to travel over a relatively balmy sea first.

Scandi will be covered eventually though - but probably not until December, and parts of southern Sweden and coastal Norway do not usually have permanent snow cover.

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 3

Posted

asia is the important area for snowcover re the post stewart made a few days ago. its this massive increase in snowcover that has helped drive the kamchatkan (and now aleutian) mean ridge. that teleconects to downstream ridging in the greenland area. dont worry about scandinavia.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

asia is the important area for snowcover re the post stewart made a few days ago. its this massive increase in snowcover that has helped drive the kamchatkan (and now aleutian) mean ridge. that teleconects to downstream ridging in the greenland area. dont worry about scandinavia.

Thanks that's one less thing to worry about!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

yeah never understood people's worries about the continent not being cold so whats the point of an easterly it can become cold in a matter of a day and scandi could turn white again in a couple of days. Point is is that large parts of scandi technically have a maritime climate not as extreme as us but still effected by NAD and atlantic so there is gonna be waxing and waning especially in november china is continental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not sure if anybody has posted it but here is the latest NOAA imagery from yesterday, it certainly doesn't look too shabby to me.

post-7183-0-28331200-1352834110_thumb.pn

The fascination for now, for me, is the final third of November as I stated previously, let's hope things substantially improve from there on in. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure if anybody has posted it but here is the latest NOAA imagery from yesterday,it certainly doesn't look too shabby to me.

post-7183-0-28331200-1352834110_thumb.pn

The fascination for now, for me, is the final third of November as I stated previously, let's hope things substantially improve from there on in. Posted Image

How do you see a ideal progression from were we are now till it looked very impressive? Gtltw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Not strictly on topic, but Antarctic ice cover continues to improve year on year. 2012 has been a record breaker, can there possibly be a link with increasing SH ice cover with diminishing returns in the North?

Edit. Apologies, the earlier chart wouldn't copy correctly

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/antarctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

Edited by Ice Day

Posted

Further reductions of snow cover in Finland and Western Russia, pretty much everything else holding firm.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Ice Day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Hows this for pattern matching STRIKING resemblance to 2009 !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by EML Network

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks very close but I would if given the choice go for this year for the slight edge on snow cover and potential weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Wow.. I couldn't tell which was which at first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Canada much better this year

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Pretty much just a hold today, although some gains in the sea ice.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Canada much better this year

BFTP

Winter arrived a month early this year in Western Canada..we didn't have an autumn at all..went from +26c first week of October (after three months of hot sunny weather) to below freezing a few days later and its never recovered, it has stayed cold since...very unusual for this to happen. What it means for the rest of Winter here i have no idea?
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

How do you see a ideal progression from were we are now till it looked very impressive? Gtltw

We need to keep the levels where they are over Siberia/Russia/Asia and North America etc. and then wait for improvements in Europe over time. I feel the Arctic Sea Ice coverage is currently very pleasing, so too is the situation over in North America. Should a Northerly or a Northeasterly airflow suddenly engulf our shores, I do believe it would already prove to be a snow maker for the right locations, which given the time of year is impressive. Come the latter part of November, I would be hoping for a snow-covered Eastern Europe at least. Posted Image

The key to this game is not to specifically look at our tiny island but to look at the global picture as I am sure may are aware. With that in mind, the latest view from the NOAA evidence is most pleasing. Many regions globally, on the precise same latitudes as the UK are under lying snow, now that has to be good news for us cold winter watchers. Posted Image Conversely, there are exceptions, but, as I have already illustrated, we need not panic over Europe just yet, IMHO. Posted Image

post-7183-0-30853900-1352903885_thumb.pn

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

We need to keep the levels where they are over Siberia/Russia/Asia and North America etc. and then wait for improvements in Europe over time. I feel the Arctic Sea Ice coverage is currently very pleasing, so too is the situation over in North America. Should a Northerly or a Northeasterly airflow suddenly engulf our shores, I do believe it would already prove to be a snow maker for the right locations, which given the time of year is impressive. Come the latter part of November, I would be hoping for a snow-covered Eastern Europe at least. Posted Image

The key to this game is not to specifically look at our tiny island but to look at the global picture as I am sure may are aware. With that in mind, the latest view from the NOAA evidence is most pleasing. Many regions globally, on the precise same latitudes as the UK are under lying snow, now that has to be good news for us cold winter watchers. Posted Image Conversely, there are exceptions, but, as I have already illustrated, we need not panic over Europe just yet, IMHO. Posted Image

From that view it looks like the beginning of an ice age.

Posted

Posted ImagePosted Image

Unfortunately, the snow continues its slow retreat north and east in Europe. However North America is still in great shape, with just about all points north of 45 degrees still white!

Posted Image

Posted

Posted ImagePosted Image

Unfortunately, the snow continues its slow retreat north and east in Europe. However North America is still in great shape, with just about all points north of 45 degrees still white!

Posted Image

just add my bit to that

animation of last 3 days more snow would be welcome

Posted Image

Still more blues than reds , looks like we will have to wait for winter for blues in the uk

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

From that view it looks like the beginning of an ice age.

This is the sort of post I'm looking for on here thanks for that, keep them coming and any other advanced member interested in the title of this thread please lets hear your thoughts Posted Image
  • Like 1

Posted

just add my bit to that

animation of last 3 days more snow would be welcome

Posted Image

Ah, very good. I'll have to try to work out how to do that!

Posted

Ah, very good. I'll have to try to work out how to do that!

put a group of images into here ice day http://www.myspacegens.com/handler.php?gen=animatedimage&p=view
  • Like 1

Posted

put a group of images into here ice day http://www.myspacege...tedimage&p=view

Excellent, cheers HWC. I'll give it a go tomorrow evening!

• Like 1