Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Nice pic from ny alesund in svalbard from the mountain webcam from today

post-11363-0-93211000-1349273753_thumb.j

Beautiful.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Beautiful.

I'd love to visit there in the winter :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

September snow cover extent was the 9th lowest out of the 44 years on record, with Eurasian snow cover the 13th lowest.

http://climate.rutge...gs.php?ui_set=1

Eurasian snow cover though has more than doubled in the last week though.

Yes massive increase in the NH in the last week which puts us closer to the long term average for week 39

http://climate.rutge...ea.php?ui_set=0

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_area.php?ui_set=0&ui_sort=1

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Eurasian snow cover though has more than doubled in the last week

Looks like it had to in the last two Tuesdays just to keep up with the amount expected.

Expecting some of that lake effect snow to turn up soon to help turn things positive , am I right bftv?! Posted Image

Is this lack now the new norm as the stewfox link would suggest to me. http://climate.rutge...ea.php?ui_set=0 Maybe I'm getting muddled!

Tuesday week post-15601-0-95345500-1349298845_thumb.p Yesterday post-15601-0-59715300-1349298846_thumb.p

Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

It is heartening to see quite a cold set of runs in recent days, for a good part of the Northern Hemisphere. For example, I do feel we could do with some colder snowy outbreaks influencing Scandinavia and precisely that, looks set to happen, more especially from about the 8th October onwards. As ever though, these are small signals, which are liable to change under disruptions in the flow, by ex-Hurricanes and Tropical Storms, again for better or worse. The main driver now though, will probably be the Stratospheric processes and the lengthening hours of darkness ascending into our part of the world.

Lot´s of high pressure above Siberia. So in my opinion not a good sign for snowfall over there.

Not great perhaps, but it will aid the cooling process and even then, it can still snow under High Pressure situations. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Not too good for snow you are correct, however it will still aid in cooling the ground. Soil moisture content can actually be quite important.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Pleased to see one Russian city going for cold or snow for the next ten days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novy_Urengoy

Maybe colder than -10C Posted Image come Wednesday with that high pressure in the area.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/+Russia+RSXX5279

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Animation of the sea ice and snow cover from the past 6 weeks here http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/CT/animate.arctic.color.0.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow hasn't made it to Moscow yet not sure when it normally starts but the next 10 days remain fairly mild with all the precipitation falling as rain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/524901

Even Oslo in Norway is remaining snow free for the next 10 days

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3143244

Snow Accumulation for Next 3 to 6 Days, parts of western Norway and western Sweden look like doing quite well over the next week

Posted Image

Posted

Cairngorm hasn't got much snow at the moment just a light dusting any that's falling is melting very quickly

Summit, 3600ft

Posted Image

Ben Nevis is under fog at the moment so any snow on the top is impossible to see

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Lot´s of high pressure above Siberia. So in my opinion not a good sign for snowfall over there.

I suppose a polar low could trigger some snowfalls if it comes into contact with the high pressure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Snow hasn't made it to Moscow yet not sure when it normally starts but the next 10 days remain fairly mild with all the precipitation falling as rain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/524901

Even Oslo in Norway is remaining snow free for the next 10 days

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3143244

Snow Accumulation for Next 3 to 6 Days, parts of western Norway and western Sweden look like doing quite well over the next week

Yes some good and some bad news as you state SS, well, at least it's a start for us snow-lovers. I do believe you are basing your evidence on one set of runs and subsequent forecasts, please correct me if I'm wrong. The way I have viewed the recent output has been with some sceptism for certain parts of the NH but on the whole, the trend looks good at this very early stage. We are also a while away yet,from my entertaining period, which lasts for six weeks either side of the winter Equinox.

As in life, we have to take the rough with the smooth and throughout October and November, we will see many forecasting attempts made to predict our winter fortunes.

Posted

Yes some good and some bad news as you state SS, well, at least it's a start for us snow-lovers. I do believe you are basing your evidence on one set of runs and subsequent forecasts, please correct me if I'm wrong. The way I have viewed the recent output has been with some sceptism for certain parts of the NH but on the whole, the trend looks good at this very early stage. We are also a while away yet,from my entertaining period, which lasts for six weeks either side of the winter Equinox.

As in life, we have to take the rough with the smooth and throughout October and November, we will see many forecasting attempts made to predict our winter fortunes.

Yes what I have posted it based on today's forecast's

Posted

post-8771-0-83050600-1349365312_thumb.pn

Lovely blob of snow falling over Eastern North Dakota - Northern Minnesota.

Probably to far south to see on them NOAA snow and ice charts, hardly a bad thing though Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

don't know if this has been posted already, but that's an impressive rate of regrowth almost back up to the 2007 level

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

A good amount of fresh stuff on the latest map compared with the previous days. A line of white powder down the Rockies too I see.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

A good amount of fresh stuff on the latest map compared with the previous days. A line of white powder down the Rockies too I see.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Nice to see a bit of a spurt going on Posted Image I was always led to believe, that we had to wait until the ice was touching the coast, before we got any real spread of the snow? Edited by quest4peace

Posted

Nice to see a bit of a spurt going on Posted Image I was always led to believe, that we had to wait until the ice was touching the coast, before we got any real spread of the snow?

You tend to see speradic snowfall in the situation we have now and then where ice touches the coast a big explosion.

• Like 1

Posted

You tend to see speradic snowfall in the situation we have now and then where ice touches the coast a big explosion.

The ice is taking it's time at the moment though, hopefully it will start to pick up through the rest of october Posted Image

Snowless Barrow Northern Alaska yesterday (Oct 4th), obviously still quite mild up there. The snow has been falling at night but thawing still during the day.Shouldn't they have a good blanket by now?

Posted Image

Edited by quest4peace

Posted

Cairngorm hasn't got much snow at the moment just a light dusting any that's falling is melting very quickly

Summit, 3600ft

Posted Image

That's not Cairn Gorm! (The layout of webcams on the WinterHighland website is a bit confusing, it's an easy mistake to make). That's the summit of Meall a'Bhuiridh in Glencoe which is several hundred feet lower and a long way to the south-west of the Cairngorms.

The summit of Braeriach in the Cairngorms shows a good few cm. of snow cover in the photos from Wednesday at the link below:

http://www.tarmachan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/blog-post.html

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 1

Nice to see a bit of a spurt going on Posted Image I was always led to believe, that we had to wait until the ice was touching the coast, before we got any real spread of the snow?

Some of the fresh snow on the edges, particularly to the west and south will probably be only temporary for now, and the bare areas in the heart of Siberia are because it's been generally on the mild side and, as typical, mostly dry so it just hasn't snowed yet. Looks like it should get going in the coming days.

Posted

Some of the fresh snow on the edges, particularly to the west and south will probably be only temporary for now, and the bare areas in the heart of Siberia are because it's been generally on the mild side and, as typical, mostly dry so it just hasn't snowed yet. Looks like it should get going in the coming days.

I think this is the trouble with me checking everyday, setting myself up for disappointment :) bit like the old saying "a watched pot never boils" kind of thing :)