Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Some pixels appearing in Norway.

yer will be keeping eyes out for snow here http://www.skjolden....i/webkamera.htm

post-15601-0-47124800-1347186760_thumb.p

Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

With regards to the forthcoming winter.. wouldnt it be awesome for us snowmaggedon fans if we had a combined 09/12 and 10/11 winter? The first half from the North, the second the East. That would be epic!

On a more serious note. Encouraging to see that snow is beginning to appear more widespread.

Just saw the first snow shower animation of the season on BBC weather report across the Highlands for Tuesday!!

Edited by IBringTheHammer
  • Like 3

Posted

With regards to the forthcoming winter.. wouldnt it be awesome for us snowmaggedon fans if we had a combined 09/12 and 10/11 winter? The first half from the North, the second the East. That would be epic!

On a more serious note. Encouraging to see that snow is beginning to appear more widespread.

Just saw the first snow shower animation of the season on BBC weather report across the Highlands for Tuesday!!

That's great Hammer for my web cam spoting but I wonder if its yet another over estimation, as I see a forcast 2degC on Ben Nevis Tuesday eve (Sorry to spoil the fun)

Norway and Svalbard have under achieved so far wonder if the meto can do better than yr.no Its seems that if the snow is overestimated at least it does not put people in danger like going the other way would.

Posted

That's great Hammer for my web cam spoting but I wonder if its yet another over estimation, as I see a forcast 2degC on Ben Nevis Tuesday eve (Sorry to spoil the fun)

Norway and Svalbard have under achieved so far wonder if the meto can do better than yr.no Its seems that if the snow is overestimated at least it does not put people in danger like going the other way would.

I live in Fort William and i am confident that we will see the first noticeable but brief snowfall of the Autumn on Nevis Range.

Mountain snow fall in September is not particularly unusual but 'lasting' snows until the following winter are exceptionally rare in September such as the falls that occurred at the Cairngorm mountains in early Sept 76 following the famously hot summer that year ,particularly south of the border.

Keep your eyes on the Aonach Mor webcams on Tue for a dusting near the summit.

Posted

I live in Fort William and i am confident that we will see the first noticeable but brief snowfall of the Autumn on Nevis Range.

Mountain snow fall in September is not particularly unusual but 'lasting' snows until the following winter are exceptionally rare in September such as the falls that occurred at the Cairngorm mountains in early Sept 76 following the famously hot summer that year ,particularly south of the border.

Keep your eyes on the Aonach Mor webcams on Tue for a dusting near the summit.

Will do coaster Posted Image Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted

Some pixels appearing in Norway.

Tricky working out what's new snow and what's existing glaciers.....

A glacier is a large persistent body of ice it is trying to show snow had a look over last three years and found

post-15601-0-09040200-1347270242_thumb.p

Posted

Posted Imagequest4peace, on 08 September 2012 - 11:00 , said:

Currently -12c in Alert Canada and has been well below zero for past week at least Posted Image

http://uk.weather.co...-Alert-CAXX0829

82.4667° N, 62.5000° W

Don't know if this has any significance to ice in that area Posted Image

will post again in a couple of days to see if it has Posted Image -15 and snow forecast for Tuesday! http://www.yr.no/pla...Alert/long.html

latest forecast is -11 low and no snow and there is no big change to the ice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The August snow cover area data is out, with this August being the 3rd lowest on record, making this (I think) the lowest snow cover summer on record for the northern hemisphere.

The last 6 months

August- 3rd Lowest Recorded

July- Lowest Recorded

June-Lowest Recorded

May- 2nd Lowest Recorded

April- 4th Lowest Recorded

March- 24th Lowest Recorded (23rd highest though)

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_rankings.php?ui_set=1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The August snow cover area data is out, with this August being the 3rd lowest on record, making this (I think) the lowest snow cover summer on record for the northern hemisphere.

The last 6 months

August- 3rd Lowest Recorded

July- Lowest Recorded

June-Lowest Recorded

May- 2nd Lowest Recorded

April- 4th Lowest Recorded

March- 24th Lowest Recorded (23rd highest though)

http://climate.rutge...gs.php?ui_set=1

im not sure about these figures i dont know where they get them from?..for example Canada had its second mildest winter on record in 2011-12 and it was big news how snow free it was nationwide..yet these figures show an above average snow season for last winter?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

im not sure about these figures i dont know where they get them from?..for example Canada had its second mildest winter on record in 2011-12 and it was big news how snow free it was nationwide..yet these figures show an above average snow season for last winter?

The North America figures suggest wildly below average whilst the Cadian figures are average. I suspect that what this shows is that the further south, the less snow cover apparent. With Canada being so vast, I suspect that the inhabited parts are mostly further south and very much in the below average snow cover area. Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

The North American snow extent looks well below average for winter on this graph

Posted Image

Posted

The North American snow extent looks well below average for winter on this graph

Posted Image

wow what happened in 1981?? funny though that 1981 was snowy/cold here, from what i've read. (i was only 1 at the time)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Posted Image

Interesting that after a low ice/snow year the next year is much much much higher..

Could this mean that 2013 is going to be VERY cold and snowy?

It also looks like a normal trend..

Lots of snow, Slowly decreasing until a big low then suddenly it goes right up again..Almost in a 10Year cycle..

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Good observation; interesting that the overall trend is on the rise.

the graph shown is for North America..no idea how Europe panned out

Posted

The North America figures suggest wildly below average whilst the Cadian figures are average. I suspect that what this shows is that the further south, the less snow cover apparent. With Canada being so vast, I suspect that the inhabited parts are mostly further south and very much in the below average snow cover area.

im not so sure...every winter the vast majority of Canada above the 50n latitude is covered with snow..last winter huge swathes between 50-55n where either snow free or snow was thin on the ground and patchy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

im not so sure...every winter the vast majority of Canada above the 50n latitude is covered with snow..last winter huge swathes between 50-55n where either snow free or snow was thin on the ground and patchy.

I guess one would have to go back and look at the charts. Certainly the NA figures reflect this, so it is strange that Canada made it to average.

Posted

I guess one would have to go back and look at the charts. Certainly the NA figures reflect this, so it is strange that Canada made it to average.

Maybe if they went on snow depths it would be a completely different picture,,i guess you could have dusting of snow and that would be classed as a covering?

Posted

You can look through the anomaly charts here http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_vis.php?ui_year=2011&ui_month=11&ui_set=2

Seems November and March had a lot of snow missing southern Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec.

Anomalous high pressure in the Atlantic steered up mild southerlies in both months it seems.

Posted

You can look through the anomaly charts here http://climate.rutge...nth=11&ui_set=2

Seems November and March had a lot of snow missing southern Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec.

Anomalous high pressure in the Atlantic steered up mild southerlies in both months it seems.

this is my point..i live in Alberta and most of the winter it was pretty much snow free..yet it shows above normal snow cover for the province through the winter which is total rubbish

Posted

this is my point..i live in Alberta and most of the winter it was pretty much snow free..yet it shows above normal snow cover for the province through the winter which is total rubbish

Was it a nice change though? I mean, you have winters where the snow stays on the ground for months so....?