Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

A few interesting postings from that map this winter me thinks!

Definitely; bookmarked already!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

According to that map, western Ireland has a few cm of snow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

That's excellent, not seen this one before! Thanks

A few interesting postings from that map this winter me thinks!

Definitely; bookmarked already!

Welcome guys Posted Image I was just randomly googling weather sites and found this graph on the side panel of the site linked Posted Image lots of other headings to play with over there as well Posted ImageWetterPool - Prognosekarten (GFS) / Wetterkarten und Animation

According to that map, western Ireland has a few cm of snow..

Could be a dusting left in the mountains? from the snow we had not long ago? Because i notice cumbria and scotland is showing snow as well, all be it not much? Edited by quest4peace
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The snow cover chart posted by Q4P is based off the GFS, not actual snow cover readings. Hence why it's showing snow cover in western Ireland.

Netweather has a similar one available for just the the British Isles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Question severe blizzards have hit Peking 36incs in a few hrs ,I can"t see snow cover on map.

seems to relate to the 4th Nov storm http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/china-news/blizzard-freezes-beijing-before-congress-311457.html

not relating to current weather http://www.yr.no/place/China/Beijing/Beijing/ so the snow will have melted

Posted

The snow cover chart posted by Q4P is based off the GFS, not actual snow cover readings. Hence why it's showing snow cover in western Ireland.

Netweather has a similar one available for just the the British Isles.

So good then for a slightly bigger picture of potential snow. (In the hope it heads our way)
  • Like 1

Posted

Edit: Wrote something that didn't make sense, can i start the day again? :D

Edited by quest4peace
  • Like 2

Posted

Snow holding firm in scandi just need a north easter now for some cold i reckon Posted Image

Ice on the Alaskan, Canadian side finally shutting up shop.

post-11363-0-06055000-1352634851_thumb.g

Also the gfs projection of snow cover possibility for today. Immediately around us http://www.wetterpoo...gnosekarten.php

post-11363-0-20366800-1352635177_thumb.p

Edited by quest4peace
  • Like 3

Posted

Posted ImagePosted Image

Big snowfall in Russia today, the snowline's headed hundred's of miles south. Arctic ocean nearly fully frozen now. Ice also starting to form around the western fringes of Alaska.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I have a 3 year comparison here.

Starting left to right with 2010 then 2011 and 2012.

The changes in Scandi in 2011 compared to now and 2009 are huge. If anything I think we are fuller now than in 09' especially in North America.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by throwoff
  • Like 1

Posted

The changes in Scandi in 2011 compared to now and 2009 are huge. If anything I think we are fuller now than in 09' especially in North America.

As much as 2012 is doing well, it seems as though it's fallen slightly behind 2011 in terms of overall area. The lack of Scandinavian snow and poorer north American/Mongolian/north-east Chinese snow cover in 2011 is offset by the cover in south-western Russia, Kazakhstan and into Ukraine and Turkey. The mountainous regions of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Tibet are also well covered. However, it may be that snow cover in these areas don't really matter too much for the UK, since they're so far south - it's Siberian and Scandinavian snow that's focussed on, isn't it?
  • Like 1

Posted

As much as 2012 is doing well, it seems as though it's fallen slightly behind 2011 in terms of overall area. The lack of Scandinavian snow and poorer north American/Mongolian/north-east Chinese snow cover in 2011 is offset by the cover in south-western Russia, Kazakhstan and into Ukraine and Turkey. The mountainous regions of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Tibet are also well covered. However, it may be that snow cover in these areas don't really matter too much for the UK, since they're so far south - it's Siberian and Scandinavian snow that's focussed on, isn't it?

It's a bit of a shame not keeping up with 2010 for snow levels in Scandinavia, in the hope that it would help as it did then with importing snow.

But each year changes to keep the interest up and if things go the right way there be plenty to look out for by this time next month. So heads down and lots of chart checking Posted Image

Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

guys if i remembor ritely hodson bay didnt freze till later than this last year did it not?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

the thing that i see is 2010 snow in scandanavia we get cold spell no snow there in 2011 we get mild winter then snow there again this year so surely its a sign we will get blocking we just didnt get it last year when europe did cos no snow in scandanavia to aid pressure building so looks good for this winter
  • Like 1

Posted

guys if i remembor ritely hodson bay didnt freze till later than this last year did it not?

Google tells me hodson bay is in the centre of Ireland so I guess not!

November 11 2012 and 2011 to compare post-15601-0-96765900-1352733408_thumb.gpost-15601-0-57063500-1352733409_thumb.g

• Like 2

Posted

Google tells me hodson bay is in the centre of Ireland so I guess not!

November 11 2012 and 2011 to compare post-15601-0-96765900-1352733408_thumb.gpost-15601-0-57063500-1352733409_thumb.g

That is a massive difference. Looks like North America could be in for a brutal one!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

iv been looking on north america and canadian weather cams today . plenty of snow about and on some of the canadian ones if you put in WINNIPEG WEB CAMS they show you others . but it can be frustrating when the snow blows straight into the camera lens .also some low temp about . they could be onto a winner .bring it all on .Posted Image

Posted

iv been looking on north america and canadian weather cams today . plenty of snow about and on some of the canadian ones if you put in WINNIPEG WEB CAMS they show you others . but it can be frustrating when the snow blows straight into the camera lens .also some low temp about . they could be onto a winner .bring it all on .Posted Image

The weather is more easy to predict over there and they had a bad winter last year so the ski industry must be rubbing their hands together this time round , good luck to them will be checking the webcams and news if it goes pear shaped over here.

We seems to have more ups and downs as we are more marginal for snow, but that makes it all the more special when it does turn up.

Even 2010 seemed to have room for improvement because the weather warmed up in the late winter so still holding out for a 'proper winter!'

Good webcams include this one was just a normal road about three or four weeks ago. http://www.skjolden....i/webkamera.htm

Good to see the general progress of snow in the Northern Hemisphere and today's prize goes to China adding an area the size of Spain to the snow cover.

Nearer us on the globe the snow does a south push, bit like 2011!

post-15601-0-42338400-1352759463_thumb.gpost-15601-0-31482900-1352759464_thumb.g

Still more snow cover positive rather than negative generally post-15601-0-63209100-1352760701_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

That is a massive difference. Looks like North America could be in for a brutal one!?

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

Posted

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

they are predicting a better winter and starting to see a good build up to that but like you say it does not work like that because good snow cover now does not make it likely to be a 'Brutal one' hope they still get a 'proper one' Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted

The weather is more easy to predict over there and they had a bad winter last year so the ski industry must be rubbing their hands together this time round , good luck to them will be checking the webcams and news if it goes pear shaped over here.

We seems to have more ups and downs as we are more marginal for snow, but that makes it all the more special when it does turn up.

Even 2010 seemed to have room for improvement because the weather warmed up in the late winter so still holding out for a 'proper winter!'

Good webcams include this one was just a normal road about three or four weeks ago. http://www.skjolden....i/webkamera.htm

Good to see the general progress of snow in the Northern Hemisphere and today's prize goes to China adding an area the size of Spain to the snow cover.

Nearer us on the globe the snow does a south push, bit like 2011!

post-15601-0-42338400-1352759463_thumb.gpost-15601-0-31482900-1352759464_thumb.g

Still snow cover positive generally post-15601-0-63209100-1352760701_thumb.p

China's looking good, unfortunately a reduction in Scandinavia today which doesn't bode so well! Still relatively early days though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Big loss in Scandi today, China has gone mad though!

What a massive fill out!

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Snowcover over Scandinavia doesn't issue a cold period of weather, the cold will come regardless, not sure where all of this, "If it isn't snowy in Scandinavia then winter doesn't look good" posts are coming from.