Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

There is limited data but the recent average freeze-up date is 5th November.

Not looking brilliant still then Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Can't say being the lowest on record again by quite a fair distance is incredible? Its just as bad as the way way below average ice extent on the Atlantic side of the Arctic(Barents/Kara Sea) with conditions not improving in these areas any time soon it would seem.

No I was saying that it's incredible how fast the sea can freeze to connect Russia and Canada in as little as 6 weeks, despite the sea being so vast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Today's NH snow cover holding firm, no significant gains or losses.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good to see that the snow is still comparing favourably to the same day 2010 & 2011 and pretty much all points above 60 degrees north are white!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

here's another angle on the snow and ice, always hoping for more! I guess we may have to wait to winter for it but no worry's its got potential.

post-15601-0-39010400-1352327394_thumb.ppost-15601-0-15977000-1352327395_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted

here's another angle on the snow and ice, always hoping for more! I guess we may have to wait to winter for it but no worry's its got potential.

post-15601-0-39010400-1352327394_thumb.ppost-15601-0-15977000-1352327395_thumb.g

Yes, I think the potential is definitely there this year - let's hope it comes to fruition!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Snow subsiding back eastwards but gains in Ice it appears :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Big snowfall 25th onwards!

That is my wish!

For The UK? or for Eurasia?

Still some positive signs and with snow & ice looking better it seems than last winter so far, we have i believe a small chunk of the puzzle, interesting times ahead..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

UK, I am a total amatuer at this and am going off of previous years charts compared to this but everything seems to be the same as 2010 in fact a little better!

• Like 1

UK, I am a total amatuer at this and am going off of previous years charts compared to this but everything seems to be the same as 2010 in fact a little better!

There is a weak correlation between winter CET and snow extent at this time of year but it's worth noting that 2010 wasn't very snowy by this time ranking 29/47 (incl this year) for Northern Hemisphere snow cover and only 36/47 for Eurasia according to data from Rutgers University Global Snow Lab.

In fact by the end of week 45 (this week) 2010 was next bottom 45/46 for Eurasian snow before rapidly advancing to 8/46 in three weeks.

Edited by Interitus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

After the 10th in 2010, Scandi snow exploded and the entire region was covered in snow (more or less) - I don't see that happening this year.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but October had the 8th largest snow cover extent on record for the Northern Hemisphere. Eurasia had the 11th highest

http://climate.rutge...ui_set=1#nhland

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here's yesterdays image, courtesy of NOAA. It is nice to see parts of Newfoundland and the Hudson Bay area joining in with the fun, as well as extensive ice due North of Iceland.

post-7183-0-17060800-1352408805_thumb.pn

On a side note, next week should be regarded as a changeover week with snow and ice cover possibly depleteing a little over Europe (not that there is a lot). However, I am fairly confident that onwards into the following week, i.e. w/c 19th November will bring about major positive shifts in the anomalies. We just need to ride out next week IMO and then let the fun and games begin. Posted Image

My reasoning for some early concern is in part, due to the development of a transient European high, which is dragging in warmer uppers from Africa. Once that feature pushes away either East or North, as it will in time, we can then look into the specifics for the second part of November. Another slight area of concern has to be the ramping up of the Jetstream but I don't see that effecting the far North of Europe.

Whatever, the longer we can keep this Eurasian snow and ice in place, there is only one way the Temperatures will go and that is downward. Add to this, the effect of the dimishing day length and we could be on to a winner. Keep looking for a switch in winds to the North or East and then it truly will be GAME ON. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Evening all, here's today offering vs yesterday: Not too bad, a little melt-back in the south of Finland but Canada's looking better. As GTLTW said above, some good signals from mid month onward for some real gains. Just as an aside, I've also included below the oldest '8 November' northern hemisphere image I can find, which is from 1998. Just show's how well early winter 2012 is doing for snow cover!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

There is a weak correlation between winter CET and snow extent at this time of year but it's worth noting that 2010 wasn't very snowy by this time ranking 29/47 (incl this year) for Northern Hemisphere snow cover and only 36/47 for Eurasia according to data from Rutgers University Global Snow Lab.

In fact by the end of week 45 (this week) 2010 was next bottom 45/46 for Eurasian snow before rapidly advancing to 8/46 in three weeks.

Often forgotten, too many 'drivers' are being link to cold/snow/uk. Often its just a low going 50 miles further east/west/north/south etc

Posted

There is a weak correlation between winter CET and snow extent at this time of year.Does it every have a strong correlation? for example did it have by week 48 year 2010 and snow cover rank 8/46?

There is a weak correlation between winter CET and snow extent at this time of year.Does it every have a strong correlation? for example did it have by week 48 year 2010 and snow cover rank 8/46?

By week 48 there doesn't appear to be much correlation with the following winter CET.

For example one of the years above 2010 was 1985/6 which was a colder winter overall but the complete reverse with a very mild December (6.3c) and bitterly cold February 1986 (-1.1c) - colder than Dec 2010.

However another year above 2010 was 1989 - winter 89/90 was a very mild 6.23c and especially Feb at 7.3c.

Posted

By week 48 there doesn't appear to be much correlation with the following winter CET.

For example one of the years above 2010 was 1985/6 which was a colder winter overall but the complete reverse with a very mild December (6.3c) and bitterly cold February 1986 (-1.1c) - colder than Dec 2010.

However another year above 2010 was 1989 - winter 89/90 was a very mild 6.23c and especially Feb at 7.3c.

Looking at what you are saying it looks to me like a very cold winter month can bring a winters overall CET into the range of the lowest recorded and getting just one months setup up right Dec 2010 can give one of the snowiest winters

we are not asking a lot of the weather to come up with some interesting records this winter in my mind.

Posted

After a few day's of euro snow loss, it's started heading back our way again; Finland and Sweden have filled up a little since yesterday

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

post-15601-0-44895600-1352506147_thumb.g latest look at the snow and ice animation

Some snow returns to Scandinavia Posted Image and I am liking the 2010 style angle of the snow towards Norway. Will be great watching the snow make its way west towards the end of the month. Ice seems to stay the same which is a shame.

Edited by harshwintercoming
  • Like 1

Posted

After the 10th in 2010, Scandi snow exploded and the entire region was covered in snow (more or less) - I don't see that happening this year.

still waiting for 2010 to overtake the present not long now I guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Here's a map of the areas immediately around us with snow and what i think is depth measurement figures.

post-11363-0-24733100-1352557046_thumb.p

WetterPool - Prognosekarten (GFS) / Wetterkarten und Animation

Edited by quest4peace
  • Like 5

Posted

Here's a map of the areas immediately around us with snow and what i think is depth measurement figures.

post-11363-0-24733100-1352557046_thumb.p

WetterPool - Prognosekarten (GFS) / Wetterkarten und Animation

That's excellent, not seen this one before! Thanks

• Like 1