Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted

Although its good too see quite a widespread snowcover across the whole of the Northern Hemisphere after a slow start, I do feel we have to be careful not to think a snow covered Scandinavia means we will get blocking and a easterly set up.

Whilst snowcover may affect our weather down the line, I do believe cold pools and where the PV ends up has a major player and in recent years, cold pools has not been as strong as they used to be during the Autumn period.

It will be interesting how this widespread snowcover will affect weather patterns but remember last year did saw quite strong blocking at the start of February and the UK was on the verge of witnessing a very severe cold shot!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hey you think the mendips is big enough to warrent a pixel on the next update.. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Huzzah - the first pixels over England and Wales!

Posted Image

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Huzzah - the first pixels over England and Wales!

Posted Image

Nice one, but shall I be the one to point out that most of it will all be melting soon, unfortunately. Posted Image

An interesting outlook is still ahead of us though, with the continent potentially getting a whole lot colder, as we head towards the middle of November. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'm hoping the Cumbrian Fells can hold onto some of the snow for a little bit longer..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I'm hoping the Cumbrian Fells can hold onto some of the snow for a little bit longer..

That's the spirit. Posted Image

I'm a glass half full type of guy but I had better make this one my last for tonight. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Of course the big news today vs yesterday is the appearance of a pixel in the Cotswolds and several in Wales and Cumbria!!! Other than than, stability is the word and another expansion in sea ice up towards the Northern tip of Alaska/Canada. What's even more interesting regarding snowcover is how far ahead we are of the same day in 2010 (see below for comparison), although the sea ice is still lagging behind!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Nice one, but shall I be the one to point out that most of it will all be melting soon, unfortunately. Posted Image

An interesting outlook is still ahead of us though, with the continent potentially getting a whole lot colder, as we head towards the middle of November. Posted Image

Sid the snowman has some life in him yet! Posted Image Sadly your right our pixel will probably be gone in a day though Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Sid the snowman has some life in him yet! Posted Image Sadly your right our pixel will probably be gone in a day though Posted Image

A close up showing more clearly all the most special National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrations pixels Posted Image

post-15601-0-72620000-1352086704_thumb.g

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Barrow alaska seems to have frozen over really quickly.. on my phone so cant attatch pic soz.

http://www.gi.alaska...honey/ABCam.jpg

-9C out there at the moment with an overnight temp of -14C so it's no surprising!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Barrow alaska seems to have frozen over really quickly.. on my phone so cant attatch pic soz.

http://www.gi.alaska...honey/ABCam.jpg

I've been looking each day at the Barrow cam and that has frozen in the last couple of days, that did freeze quick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

http://uk.weather.co...Barrow-USAK0025

I'm currently pointing at barrow because of the anomalous warmth in that area recently.-23 is the current temp there now Posted Image After being so stupidly mild for so long,that's more like it surely? Posted Image

Snow has receded somewhat by the looks of it but i'm hoping only a temporary lull

post-11363-0-58114500-1352205844_thumb.g

Current northern hemisphere snow and ice from NOAA as of yesterday.

post-11363-0-33649600-1352206352_thumb.p

http://satepsanone.n...ultisensor.html

Edited by quest4peace
  • Like 1

Posted

http://uk.weather.co...Barrow-USAK0025

I'm currently pointing at barrow because of the anomalous warmth in that area recently.-23 is the current temp there now Posted Image After being so stupidly mild for so long,that's more like it surely? Posted Image

Snow has receded somewhat by the looks of it but i'm hoping only a temporary lull

post-11363-0-58114500-1352205844_thumb.g

Current northern hemisphere snow and ice from NOAA as of yesterday.

post-11363-0-33649600-1352206352_thumb.p

http://satepsanone.n...ultisensor.html

Hoping that the lull will get a reload before Christmas and that Winter uk 2012 will give winter 2010 a run for its money, we did not know what was to come three weeks later then and the weather can still surprise us now. Snow cover still far more positive and we have had early uk snow and cold which gets a big thumbs up in my book, if this buildup was coming off a series of very mild winters there would be more smiles on faces!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by harshwintercoming
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like the 'little ice age' has already started Posted Image

Seriously, it's amazing to see so much snow about so early, it's as if the lack of ice up north, has thrown the polar winds into turmoil, allowing all the cold to spill out southward.

And with a slightly warmer planet, more water vapour = more snow, which with time, will cool the planet back into a comfortable ice age *sighs* I love it when a plan comes together Posted Image

• Like 2

Still only very thin ice at Barrow - see the radar and webcam timelapse videos here http://seaice.alaska.edu/gi/observatories/barrow_webcam - the freeze does appear to happen overnight on evening of 4/11 though it coincided with a spell of relative calm after wind and high seas, and snowfall which helped its formation and made it visible..

The ice doesn't show on the sea ice radar yet and is mobile, moving about in the current. Once it is properly formed it will be anchored to the shoreline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Hoping that the lull will get a reload before Christmas and that Winter uk 2012 will give winter 2010 a run for its money, we did not know what was to come three weeks later then and the weather can still surprise us now. Snow cover still far more positive and we have had early uk snow and cold which gets a big thumbs up in my book, if this buildup was coming off a series of very mild winters there would be more smiles on faces!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice to see the anoms still ahead of 2010 snow-wise make me feel more positive :) Could we have another Dec this year like back then i wonder?

Looks like the 'little ice age' has already started Posted Image

Seriously, it's amazing to see so much snow about so early, it's as if the lack of ice up north, has thrown the polar winds into turmoil, allowing all the cold to spill out southward.

And with a slightly warmer planet, more water vapour = more snow, which with time, will cool the planet back into a comfortable ice age *sighs* I love it when a plan comes together Posted Image

Lol! :)

Still only very thin ice at Barrow - see the radar and webcam timelapse videos here http://seaice.alaska...s/barrow_webcam - the freeze does appear to happen overnight on evening of 4/11 though it coincided with a spell of relative calm after wind and high seas, and snowfall which helped its formation and made it visible..

The ice doesn't show on the sea ice radar yet and is mobile, moving about in the current. Once it is properly formed it will be anchored to the shoreline.

Nice to see some at last though and mighty cold :) Did i read right it doesn't normally ice over till December on average anyway? :)

Posted

That ice increase is incredible, in as little as 6 weeks from peak melt, Russia connects to Canada.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

That ice increase is incredible, in as little as 6 weeks from peak melt, Russia connects to Canada.

in the old days they stay connected all summer long

Posted

in the old days they stay connected all summer long

Got a year decade Century for that comment or a chart to show us this CM? ,would that be at a time of ideal norm for climate or are we talking a cold period of climate?

Just out of interest I checked the oldest noaa charts available and they only go back to 1998 and seems like we have had a lack of ice for a while now, still good to see any ice regrowth in these warm times.

post-15601-0-17387600-1352221404_thumb.g

Posted

Got a year decade Century for that comment or a chart to show us this CM? ,would that be at a time of ideal norm for climate or are we talking a cold period of climate?

Just out of interest I checked the oldest noaa charts available and they only go back to 1998 and seems like we have had a lack of ice for a while now, still good to see any ice regrowth in these warm times.

post-15601-0-17387600-1352221404_thumb.g

1998 was a mild winter here, just goes to show even if you did have a lot of ice and snow, doesn't really influence a UK winter.

Posted

Can't say being the lowest on record again by quite a fair distance is incredible? Its just as bad as the way way below average ice extent on the Atlantic side of the Arctic(Barents/Kara Sea) with conditions not improving in these areas any time soon it would seem.