Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
Whilst not, exactly, snow and ice related. I did see my first Redwings of the autumn today and they are indeed, a migrant from Scandinavia. Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Whilst not, exactly, snow and ice related. I did see my first Redwings of the autumn today and they are indeed, a migrant from Scandinavia.

When do they normally get here in a warm or cold Autumn?

Posted

And there have been record snowfalls for Minnesota and North Dakota over the past few days.

As shown here

post-15601-0-65782700-1349620120_thumb.g post-15601-0-07941900-1349620101_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

When do they normally get here in a warm or cold Autumn?

According to my sample of 16 records, now 17, it averaged out at the 11th October, so certainly not especially early. More to the point, something will have shifted them on. They are simply moving towards our shores because of factors such as lengthening darkness, food shortages etc.

And on the above, yes I am rather obsessed with nature, but proud of it. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

Always a good sign if you go by old wives tales! Posted Image

I'm no old wife. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

As shown here

post-15601-0-65782700-1349620120_thumb.g post-15601-0-07941900-1349620101_thumb.p

Nice line of snow right down the Rockies there. Only significant area down on snow is far north of Canada. Though, that won't stay like that for too long. Overall, snow and ice beginning to make good progress.

BFTV posted in the Arctic thread earlier, yesterdays increase in Ice extent was 120K!

• Like 2

Posted

According to my sample of 16 records, now 17, it averaged out at the 11th October, so certainly not especially early. More to the point, something will have shifted them on. They are simply moving towards our shores because of factors such as lengthening darkness, food shortages etc.

And on the above, yes I am rather obsessed with nature, but proud of it. Posted Image

Natures reactions to the weather are one way of seeing what's going on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

I have heard on here recently, that the more snowfall produced over Siberia during Autumn and Winter has proven to have an negative effect on snowfall in the UK, Anybody got any support for this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I have heard on here recently, that the more snowfall produced over Siberia during Autumn and Winter has proven to have an negative effect on snowfall in the UK, Anybody got any support for this?

No, it is the opposite. A good cover in Siberia can have beneficial effects for us further down the line.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite
  • Like 1

Posted

No, it is the opposite. A good cover in Scandinavia can have beneficial effects for us further down the line.

Sorry i was talking about Siberia.

Edited by liam300

Posted

I meant Siberia. I edited the post, but the site is a bit difficult to use on mobile.

Posted

I meant Siberia. I edited the post, but the site is a bit difficult to use on mobile.

Not a problem. I am unsure as its quite far East and a lot has to be effected for it to be pushed through to the UK.

Posted

Not a problem. I am unsure as its quite far East and a lot has to be effected for it to be pushed through to the UK.

It can have significant ramifications for the behaviour of the stratosphere and thus the possible strength of the polar vortex.

Posted

It can have significant ramifications for the behaviour of the stratosphere and thus the possible strength of the polar vortex.

To add my thoughts Siberia has a really big effect on the northern hemisphere's climate and Siberia always gets a good cover of snow and then the other weather factors have knock on effects for places to the West and South West of it.

Talking of snow its nice and steady on the snow cover increase in Siberia with a noticeable difference on two days ago , with some extra still for Eastern Russia.

Any negative amounts of snow on the map is now generally more broken up.

Not so in North Canada but the US is making up for that.

Ramp Alert :-) http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Posted Image

Posted Image

Big change from a week ago.

Posted Image

Edited by harshwintercoming
  • Like 1

Posted

its been a slow and steady growth in siberia over the past month, as can be seen here-

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/loop/asia-1mo-loop.html

the precipitation forecast for russia seems to continue this theme- http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Russia?hr=6&over=pressure&symbols=none&type=prec

nothing spectacular but the high pressure should cool things down, keeping the snow cover on the ground.

after that, the PV is expected to move in which should take things up a gear or two to say the least!.....Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Posted

Snow and Ice making another large increase on yesterday. Hopefully BFTV will have some ice extent figures. Going for an increase on yesterdays 120K!

Posted

GP was mentioning in the MO thread today that China and Russia could be in for some serious snow over the next few weeks, so one to keep an eye on!

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Small amount of growth today although if you look close i see there is a little coastal ice forming in places...

post-8911-0-55765500-1349783780_thumb.gi

• Like 1

A quick update on lasting snows in Siberian towns. At Tiksi near the Lena delta on the shores of the Laptev Sea in the Arctic ocean, the average date since 2000 has been 25/09 - has had snow cover since 01/10 but only 0.5cm and not complete cover at the moment.

Further east, a cold start to the season meant Mys Shmidta on the Chukchi Sea had patchy cover since 12/09 and full cover from 19/09, ahead of the average of 29/09. Depth of 29cm today.

Inland, the average date for Ojmjakon is 04/10 and it looks like the date this year is 06/10 as the 17cm there now should last.

Further north at the other traditional 'Pole of Cold' town of Verhojansk the average is 08/10 but there is no snow being reported at the moment. Temperatures have been below freezing for 5 days now but conditions are typically dry.

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 1

Posted

Northern Canada has had a covering since yesterday. Should hopefully take care of most of that Red Anomaly. Lost a bit from the Siberian cover, so it looks like balancing out the gain/loss of snow.

Ice gains have balanced out too with a slight reduction to yesterdays gains, but with new gains elsewhere.

Posted

"At Tiksi near the Lena delta on the shores of the Laptev Sea in the Arctic ocean.."

This sounds like the start of a very good poem, a poem you could snuggle up beside the fire and listen to.

anyone care to finish?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

"At Tiksi near the Lena delta on the shores of the Laptev Sea in the Arctic ocean.."

This sounds like the start of a very good poem, a poem you could snuggle up beside the fire and listen to.

anyone care to finish?

There were three flakes of snow and a load of commotion...Posted ImagePosted Image