Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

He is probably exaggerating. Snow cover maps show most of Canada covered in snow most of the winter, southern areas near US border were often snow free. Winter ended earlier than usual however.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

He is probably exaggerating. Snow cover maps show most of Canada covered in snow most of the winter, southern areas near US border were often snow free. Winter ended earlier than usual however.

i actually live here you dont..i can see whats on the ground with my own eyes...here are the janaury stats for Calgary..very little or no snow on the ground through January 2012

National Climate Data and Information Archive.docx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Is that a white pixel I see over the Alps?

Yes! Posted Image

Snow falling on Glencoe mountain today.

http://www.winterhig...summitvideo.php

Just seen some snow great! Gone on the latest update. Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Posted

Hi all. Have you seen this?

http://www.icelandre...93447.news.aspx

Looking good indeed.

still some snow on the road webcams http://www.vegagerdin.is/umferd-og-faerd/vefmyndavelar/nordurland

Posted

Have to say lapland is really working overtime on snow making for September!Posted Image http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Oppland/Lom/Sognefjellshytta/long.html

webkamera link http://www.skjolden....i/webkamera.htm

Edited by harshwintercoming
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

First snow of the season on my mountain. Snow level 1800M. Time to wax the skis.

C

post-3489-0-62651700-1347557858_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted

Nice to see we're a little ahead of average after a poor start, it can only get better from here :-)

Posted Image

Posted

Nice to see we're a little ahead of average after a poor start, it can only get better from here :-)

Posted Image

Just my thoughts CH adding to what you said

The snow map Its worse than 2011 but better than 2010 so I'm not sure if it has been a bad start because the maps are a average for 1970 to 2000 so it is not comparing say with last year or the year before, so we have recent years of the warm polar region red pixels around the beginning of September without any effect on the winter.

I see there have been no big negative snow anomalies away from the polar region until the 22nd or 23rd of September (due to never having much) since the start date of the maps that are displayed (1999)

I'm really happy to see Snow falling so early but October is when things get more focused and more telling of the coming winter , snow cover will get worse and then better again a few times before the end of Winter.

We may have to put up with (hope not) the weather messing around with warmth until the start of November and still do a winter 2010 mk2 Check out the red 6th November 2010 and thirty days later....the rest is history!post-15601-0-29327900-1347580827_thumb.p 6 Nov post-15601-0-99307500-1347580781_thumb.p 6 Dec

Posted

Out of interest, whats the big deal whether snow cover is above or below average? I know snow cover can have some sort of influence on our weather patterns but has it been proven above average snow cover leads to a colder winter for Western Europe? As the chart above shows, even a below average snow cover did not stop a blocking pattern taking place and ended up with the UK having one of its coldest Decembers on record.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those who are interested in the growing snow cover but I would not worry as a cold lover if the snow cover is below average.

Arctic ice meanwhile, well thats probably is more significant and cause for concern. Looking at the patterns, I think Arctic ice could be quite slow to grow for the rest of September, upper air temperatures on the Atlantic side of the Arctic look really unremarkable but the upper air temps on the Pacific side look a little more colder than in some years so hopefully it will help to cool those SST's down.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Out of interest, whats the big deal whether snow cover is above or below average? I know snow cover can have some sort of influence on our weather patterns but has it been proven above average snow cover leads to a colder winter for Western Europe? As the chart above shows, even a below average snow cover did not stop a blocking pattern taking place and ended up with the UK having one of its coldest Decembers on record.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those who are interested in the growing snow cover but I would not worry as a cold lover if the snow cover is below average.

Arctic ice meanwhile, well thats probably is more significant and cause for concern. Looking at the patterns, I think Arctic ice could be quite slow to grow for the rest of September, upper air temperatures on the Atlantic side of the Arctic look really unremarkable but the upper air temps on the Pacific side look a little more colder than in some years so hopefully it will help to cool those SST's down.

Theres a link between October snow cover and the winter AO however at this stage it is just for our indulgence as the winter brigade gears up.

• Like 1

Just to bring this to the top I think in the early stages this year we are going to see some real stark anomalies of plus & minus as the jet is quite buckled, so some extremes of warmth moving towards the pole V some areas of below normal temps & snowfall- also snowfall in these areas possibly located further south-

Another few weeks before we really get the map into full swing!

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 1

Posted

I have to argee with you the snow buildup is fun to watch but is no big deal or of fundamental importance becuse after I had a good look at the different years of Northern Hemisphere snow buildup http://climate.rutge...ay=258&ui_set=2 I conclude that the different set ups look random and have no effect on the amount of snow we get in a winter. Other factors are playing a much more important role.

I'm a weather hobby newbie but it looks like it takes about 10 days or less for snowy conditions to build up in the UK and that's when we get our very low temps as the low sun is reflected off the snow and the temps keep dropping for up to week or so. The cold and snow can come say from the east over a small number of days but cannot be related to a longer trend.

Having said all that I will be enjoying watching the snow spread in around from were it is now and then reach countries near to us and finaly hopfuly get here winter time putting on a good show and some impressive low tempertures being set. Too me its like a global version of twitter snow watch! watching the snows progress.

If we have a harsh winter we may have only a little over two months to wait. Posted Image

With the regrowth of Arctic ice being slow and being farther from the North Russian Coast I expect that it will slow down the build of snow cover in that area, the answer to that being in the charts in about 10 days when the earliest large negative anomalies always appear.

Slight build up again of snow on the latest chart. post-15601-0-98704400-1347751863_thumb.g

Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted

Wow 15 pages already, I'm a bit slow in starting to watch this thread, but I love it every year..

Thanks to all who contribute, now I am off to look at some of the Lapland webcams.... and its 23 degrees here in SW France today..

Cheers all

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Looks like Barrow Alaska has a covering of snow? Roads just look icy but is that snow on the grass and roofs?

02;20 this morning not sure whether or not this is significant to anything :) but nice to see something wintry on the webcam Posted Image

post-11363-0-26281800-1347792405_thumb.j

http://seaice.alaska.../barrow_webcam/

Edited by quest4peace

Posted

posted twice accidently :/

Edited by quest4peace

Posted

Hi IBringTheHammer :) I used to think they were big snow piles,but they are mounds of dirt that must be sea defences for the town with the snow on top :) but nice to see the first covering of snow up there :)