Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Haha! It's a ramp. Yamkin style!

Okay, not quite Yamkin style Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

*in ramp mode* I bet they're gonna get pasted up in northern Scandinavia!! It's gonna be snowmageddon , it'll look like an ice age is gonna hit! :D

• Like 2

Posted

Morning guys!

Check out this little bad boy!!!

Yesterday...................

Posted Image

Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Winter really is coming back!

• Like 3

Posted

The Arctic ice is almost the same shape as in the melt season of 2007 and for our winters I believe it's a good thing as it appears to be responsible for the huge amount of northern blocking we keep getting summer and winter.

It's only a matter of time before we get a 1963 type winter or ones like during the 'little ice age'.

It's sad, but what can we do? (stock upon tinned goods Posted Image )

Melt of 2007

Posted Image

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

More ice melting in the summer should help during winter I think due to increased amount of fresh water slowing the Atlantic conveyor belt a little. Well at least I hope as the pattern for less and less sea ice doesn't seem to be stopping just yet. Don't always compare yr on yr based on the picture cyclonic posted either as the thickness of the ice could well be alot less even if it appears to be more extensive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Oh dear.....Posted Image ..

Right now I KNOW winter is on the way when this thread appears....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Morning guys!

Check out this little bad boy!!!

Yesterday...................

Posted Image

Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Winter really is coming back!

wow looks like its a harshwintercoming!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

LOL..

There was me joking in the convective thread about this thread and then POW! I notice its already started!

Anyway, Ill be back come end of sept..

Looking at this chart we cant really expect to see much growth over the next few weeks. I see that we get some increases but it seems to die back quickly.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Mixed outlook for our purposes over the next week in that we do see troughing over most of Siberia keeping things cool even if snow does not occur (though we should not rule out some building near todays patch where the ice is close).

The negative is that in eastern Siberia where we want snow to build from (ice is close and it is hilly), we will be seeing the warmest air.

Perhaps some small gains then but nothing substantial likely over the next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

However it may effect out winter weather, a new sea ice area record low was set today. Considering this is 3 weeks before the date of the previous record low, a large amount may still be lost.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/arctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

There is a little more about it in the Arctic sea ice thread in the climate and environment section.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Hi everyone

Just coming out of my summer hibernation and must say its quite depressing seeing whats happening to the sea ice up north at the minute. I have been following TWO's version of this thread as well and i saw a comparison of the sea ice from August 1982 and August 2012 posted from Cyrosphere today and i was shocked!! Absolutely incredible change in just 20 years. I dont consider myself a tree hugger but how can this be anything other than AGW anything natural would surely take much longer to affect the ice than is currently happening. This year WILL break all records for low ice total and anyone trying to explain this away as a natural occurence runs the rsik of sounding like a complete an utter crank!!

Posted

No one know for sure to be honest.

Personally and from a slightly short term and selfish view I'm sort of excited to see what will transpire.

Until now the weather patterns for the northern hemisphere have been noticeably change by the summer melts.

But I think if the cap melts entirely during the summer , we could see something rather more dramatic and worrying happening.

I think that when the cap melts it'll cause the gulf stream to shut down entirely thus paradoxically kicksstarting an either small to severe ice age across the north.

Just a personal opinion but one I'm standing by, unfortunAtely for us all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Just checking out the maps from last year! wow, its crazy to think that 90% of Russia and even more in Kazakhstan in december is covered by snow.

Japan is futher south in latitude then the UK and gets alot more snow then the UK thanks to the jetstream, we get the air off of the atlantic and Japan gets the air off of china making it warmer and cooler then the UK during the respective seasons.

I think all of those years the UK conquered the world is finally catching up with us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Even without the gulf stream, the UK would still be mild for its latitude due to the prevailing direction of weather systems (west - east), and, that, well, you know, big old pond called the Atlantic.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Even without the gulf stream, the UK would still be mild for its latitude due to the prevailing direction of weather systems (west - east), and, that, well, you know, big old pond called the Atlantic.

I think it would be a good few degrees c colder than it is now though as the GS must feed warmer waters nearer to us, surely the colder the Eastern Atlantic is, the colder for us. we would not be like siberia by any stretch but i think dec 2010 temps would be the norm rather than the exception, i think i am right in saying that even if the GS and Jet shut down completely, we would still not be as cold as siberia, the only way we would be as cold as siberia is if there was a complete reversal of zonal winds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Hi everyone

Just coming out of my summer hibernation and must say its quite depressing seeing whats happening to the sea ice up north at the minute. I have been following TWO's version of this thread as well and i saw a comparison of the sea ice from August 1982 and August 2012 posted from Cyrosphere today and i was shocked!! Absolutely incredible change in just 20 years. I dont consider myself a tree hugger but how can this be anything other than AGW anything natural would surely take much longer to affect the ice than is currently happening. This year WILL break all records for low ice total and anyone trying to explain this away as a natural occurence runs the rsik of sounding like a complete an utter crank!!

I would only say it is conclusively man's fault if the Antarctic Ice was doing the same thing. There is still a chance it is man but it seems odd that one is going up and one is going down.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Ahh... the gulf stream will never shut down folks, Mr Corbyn et al talk a load of...

Anyway, here is todays snow show

post-12276-0-57880700-1345555417_thumb.g

Edited by Isolated Frost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I think that is

Some of the recent comments in this thread are off good comedy value, if not scientific.

I think that is also what the Model Output Thread provides as well at times, bar a few level headed individuals. Posted Image Thanks for starting this thread once again IF and please keep the input coming, guys n gals. Posted Image

On the side topic of Climate Change/Global Warming etc. I think discussion of that is best left elsewhere within these forums. My tuppence, FWIW (for what it's worth) is that man should be guided by nature with regard to witnessing the first signs of global change. Climate Change per se is happening to the natural world, full stop. Anyway, that is my last word on such matters.

Keep on posting.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

Some of the recent comments in this thread are off good comedy value, if not scientific.

don't be rude or I'll be forced to make a grim face at you! ><
  • Like 1

Posted

I've just located my old anomaly link for the northern hemisphere and as we can see, we are mostly on track although there are slightly more positives (grey) than negatives (red) in the Canadian archipelago.

Posted Image

Ahh... the gulf stream will never shut down folks, Mr Corbyn et al talk a load of...

Anyway, here is todays snow show

' never' is a word that should have never been invented, one should always be cautious when using it. :D
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

don't be rude or I'll be forced to make a grim face at you! ><

hi fellow winter watchers

I enjoy watching the white pixels grow over the weeks and months do you think some blue/black dots for any winter record cold temps would look good and bring smiles to faces

http://coolwx.com/record/

• Like 3