Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Hot Spell Discussion

Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I know the heatwave is not 'nailed on' just yet but this coming weekend will see things becoming much warmer across the UK. Currently the SE looks to be seeing the highest temperatures with 30c or more looking likely.

Today has been very warm here with a max of 24.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Hot spell? Honestly?..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes first time we might actually use the word 'hot' this summer. Hope so - need at least one 30c+ spell in a summer!

Posted

Impressive and surprisingly enjoyable low pressure system this week and I'm certainly enjoying it so far. Sunday, yesterday and today have been above average temperature wise and today has been sunny all day long. Awesome thunderstorm last night too!

Edited by Slowpoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hot spell? Honestly?..

How else would you describe 30C? Freezing!

Posted

Yes first time we might actually use the word 'hot' this summer. Hope so - need at least one 30c+ spell in a summer!

Lucky(!) we already recorded one last week of July then.

Couldn't we use the word "hot" in that instance - lots of people did?

Posted

Disappointed to see the models have slightly shifted the heat eastwards at the weekend with the very warm uppers staying over the continent. Still expect us to get 30c but only just.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I supposed it was touching hot but with max here of 26.8c I would call it the bottom end of 'hot' or top end of 'warm'. 28c is hot, 32c is very hot, 35c extreme (in the UK).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

We reached 25.1 here today and I wouldn't call it hot, more warm at this time of the year however a temperature like that in April would be very warm as our bodies are less climatised. I think the Meto heat health thresholds are a decent regional summary of what becomes hot, for example

28c in the northeast compared to 32c in London and the southeast.

Posted

Lucky(!) we already recorded one last week of July then.

Couldn't we use the word "hot" in that instance - lots of people did?

Me included!

Posted

Ukmo and ECM have tilted towards a longer spell of warmth with a second high building to the east early next week.

Posted

I'm liking this heat! YEsterday hit 24.4oC, today will likely be even warmer and for the last 7 days we haven't dropped below 24oC! (including today's temperature) I would call that a warm spell? wouldn't you? and with even more heat on the way! It's just the night's that are a bit hard with such high humidity!

Looks like there will be the typical northwest/southeast split with most places warm at times but any real heat and fine weather reservered largely for the southeast and parts of eastern England and midlands. Also only looking at possibly two hot days at the moment so it's stretching it a bit to call it a 'hot spell' regardless of whether 30c is breached, but in the context of this summer it could be the hottest spell.

Posted

I'm liking this heat! YEsterday hit 24.4oC, today will likely be even warmer and for the last 7 days we haven't dropped below 24oC! (including today's temperature) I would call that a warm spell? wouldn't you? and with even more heat on the way! It's just the night's that are a bit hard with such high humidity!

Indeed ARWWM... I would certainly call the last 7 days 'warm'! Is there a better word for it?

Posted

Indeed ARWWM... I would certainly call the last 7 days 'warm'! Is there a better word for it?

I don't think there is, no aha, I just don't like it when it's warm/hot and humid with no sun! Just means that you are still boiling hot while walking around but you can't even enjoy some sun to compensate! :/

Posted

Yea, the last 2 nights I just havent been able to get much sleep, too humid! As for the weekend, BBC weather only seem to have got Saturday at 29C, with Sunday at 22C, Im sure that'll change. 06z extends the warm/hot spell into Wednesday with temperatures in mid-high 20's untill that point, good times. :)

Posted

Yes some lovely warm nights with min of 18c last night.

Do feel for those in warm houses unable to sleep but after being too cold in my house for most of the year my sympathy is limited as finally my place is at a perfect temperature with windows open!

Posted

It'll be interesting to see if we can hit 30C here on Sunday, from 1989-2003 it used to happen on average once every couple of years, but since 2003 we havent managed it.

Yes some lovely warm nights with min of 18c last night.

Do feel for those in warm houses unable to sleep but after being too cold in my house for most of the year my sympathy is limited as finally my place is at a perfect temperature with windows open!

The nights have been very unpleasant if your house is anything but cold! The min temp inside our house with the windows open has been 24.7C today and its already back up to 26.2C.

Mind you, the air con packed in at work 3 weeks ago so Im pretty acclimatised now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

4th warmest day of the year so far, 21.4c and rising, aye you can laugh