Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bristle boy

Virgin Media Super Hub

Been with virgin (& telewest) for 14yrs now.

My router and hub been playing up lately so virgin engineer came Sat and installed their latest super hub.

However my laptop couldnt pick up the wireless signal (my smartphone can and so can my work laptop).

Virgin then told me on phone yday that my laptop has out of date wireless adaptor and will need a n-series one fitted.

Seems their super hub has issues with laptops/computers without n-series adapter.

Virgin are sending me a portable one - i think it's a dongle.

Anyway is this an issue anyone else has experienced with virgin super hubs?

Plus how much will it cost to get n-series adapter actually fitted inside?

Cheers BB

If they only transmit on the 'n' band then it's not a particularly smart design since many pc's and laptops won't be compatible and they also should have checked your kit was able to connect to it before leaving if that's the case.

I suspect a lot of people will suffer from the same issue and they're probably going to be sending out a lot of dongles! I'd have thought there is little point spending money on an internal wireless card for a laptop, for pc's they're relatively cheap but with less space in a laptop it's not quite as simple.

Been with virgin (& telewest) for 14yrs now.

My router and hub been playing up lately so virgin engineer came Sat and installed their latest super hub.

However my laptop couldnt pick up the wireless signal (my smartphone can and so can my work laptop).

Virgin then told me on phone yday that my laptop has out of date wireless adaptor and will need a n-series one fitted.

Seems their super hub has issues with laptops/computers without n-series adapter.

Virgin are sending me a portable one - i think it's a dongle.

Anyway is this an issue anyone else has experienced with virgin super hubs?

Plus how much will it cost to get n-series adapter actually fitted inside?

Cheers BB

You will be looking at £25 install at currys / pc world

If they only transmit on the 'n' band then it's not a particularly smart design since many pc's and laptops won't be compatible and they also should have checked your kit was able to connect to it before leaving if that's the case.

I suspect a lot of people will suffer from the same issue and they're probably going to be sending out a lot of dongles! I'd have thought there is little point spending money on an internal wireless card for a laptop, for pc's they're relatively cheap but with less space in a laptop it's not quite as simple.

Cheers

It is strange that they're using these.

The engineer couldnt get it to work so in the afternoon i called their faults team.

They recognised straight away what it was likely to be and checked my laptop remotely. sure enough it wasnt 'compatible'.

The tech consultant said this was common with their new super hubs and i distinctly got the impression this was a common issue.

They're sending a portable adapter free of charge. i think they're sending out loads at the mo.

Today a local virgin guy called me to check all was ok with the installation. i explained the issue and he admitted that they need to ensure their installation engineers are aware of this issue.

Strange indeed - it seems that not all their separate depts are communicating with each other!

I'd expect the uk internet computer techie forums to be all over this issue.

Just visited virgin media community forum - seems like they've been having numerous issues with these super hubs since they were launched 18 months ago!

Well the dongle arrived today - that was speedy!

Installed and wireless now working on laptop in conj with the 'super' hub.

However, a further Q from a computer numptie -

do i have to leave the dongle in all the time? i.e. will the n series adapter effectively uninstall if i remove the dongle?

Cheers

Did anyone bother too see if there was a later driver for the wireless card on the laptop. Much easier for Virgin to send out usb wireless dongle though than to troubleshoot a possible driver issue or mess around with the super shrub wireless settings.

At least I've managed to avoid the shrub.