Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flying Ants - Are They With You Too?

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Ventured out this afternoon in south London where I live to do some shopping and as soon as I left the front door to walk to the car I was bombarded by flying ants. They flew in my face, into my hair, I even had to remove several of them from the car after driving a short distance with the windows down. Even in the centre of Croydon there were many flying down the main shopping street with scenes of people with flailing hands and shouts of annoyance.

Anyone else been overwhelmed by flying ants today or recent days? Seems to be yearly phenomenon, perhaps only lasting a day>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye Nick, I've just spent time watching them this arvo...The flyers are black, the others are yellow.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Yes Nick, we had a load crawl out of a hole in our patio this afternoon and take to the air - just think out of all those hundreds or possibly thousands only one will get his wicked way with the new queen in waiting, then they will all die - and we think we'ver got it hard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Never seen a flying ant in my life.

Posted

The annual 'fly' happened here too yesterday, although I'm expecting more later this afternoon/evening with the conditions being the

traditional very warm and humid day and that the numbers weren't that many yesterday so there must be more to fly.

Good feeding days for the orb web spiders!

Never seen a flying ant in my life.

Really? Do you have ants in your garden or street?

Posted

Hundreds of them yesterday around here, little buggers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

i honestly havent seen one ant this summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

We haven't had our 'flying ant day' here yet. Have seen them all congregating on top their nests but not flying off. It usually happens in August sometime for us, so as its warming up for next couple of days, I can see it happening imminently.

Posted

I hate ants, we've had a massive infestation this year with them under the patio, in a cavity wall and under a lot of the garden. I had to seal every little nook and cranny in the kitchen to avoid them getting in. The nest must be massive.

Ive seen a few flying ants emerging from holes, but they didnt last long as the holes were promptly filled with water from the kettle. Id rather not have even more nests in the garden next year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yes, I had an infestation of flying ants in the conservatory yesterday in the late afternoon/early evening - never had a problem with them here before !