Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Stations For An Amateur

Posted

Hi guys,

I am moving to Bolton very soon and have a small garden and am hoping to get a weather station and start taking some data.

http://uk.oregonscie...ml#.UB7ZSIl5mc0

I was thinking of this one as a beginner station.

Am I heading in the right direction? Does anyone have any particular favourites of model or recommendations? I'm a bit unsure of what exactly I need to look for?

Regards,

Darren

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

I know this was posted a while back now but I can only advise you in this way. First set your budget. There is some really good value kit out there but in truth the more you pay the better and more accurate the data it transmits will be. Secondly think about siting. A badly sited station will give you erroneous readings such as too high or low temperature in too sheltered a garden or wind speed and direction inaccuracies if you can't site the anemometer on your house roof. Lastly, you may have to fork out for some decent weather software to log your data on pc. Cumulus Software is a fair and free application compatible to most stations while paid for software like Virtual Weather Station or Weather Display offer many more features but can be more complex, containing more features than you need for basic weather recording.

So there you have it, happy weather station hunting and good luck with setting it up.