Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Huge Drop In Temperature No Change In The Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Yesterday evening i witnessed something i have never seen before..the temp here fell from 30c at 7.30pm to 15c at 8.15pm with no change in the weather..it was sunny and calm no clouds throughout... now obviously a cold front swept through the area because just to the north of Calgary and right through central Alberta huge storms rolled through the area....but here we had nothing..it remained sunny and clear with little or no wind..i would have expected some clouds and winds..but nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Reminds me of what happened over a large swathe of central and southern Britain on the 30th June 1995- a weak cold front swept southwards and brought very little cloud and no rain, but an instant temperature drop.

Posted

I never witnessed anything like this in the UK..I only noticed the change because i had got back from work at 7.30 and it was stifling hot...put the bins out at 8.15 and it was a tad chilly...from inside you would still think it was sunny and hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

Yes, this can and does happen when the air is very dry. Sounds like you have really exciting weather at times out there CM.

I wish I could live in Canada for a while to experience what you do....must be great. Me v. jealous.

Posted

Yes, this can and does happen when the air is very dry. Sounds like you have really exciting weather at times out there CM.

I wish I could live in Canada for a while to experience what you do....must be great. Me v. jealous.

Can be for weather...yesterday evening we had some monster storms that developed over the city from around 6 in the evening..from small thundery showers into full blown major storms with torrential rain large hail and strong winds..you could literally look out of the window and watch these storms develop and grow.

Posted

I suspect the temp drop was due to a weak cold front. Marked temp changes in short periods of time usually occur at the boundary between very warm and very cold air in rather stable conditions - wind and rain/snow tend to modify things somewhat.

In the UK we can experience marked temp drops in short spaces of time when cold fronts move down from the north and we see a quick rise in pressure from the west thereafter cutting off the development of any showery windy activity. This often occurs in the early spring months, when southerlies can quickly be replaced by bitter northerlies behind a cold front, but to see such a marked temp drop in 45 minutes in this country would be preety unheard of.

In the Highlands we can see rapid temp rises when warm tropical air overides polar air in the depths of winter. A very bitter cold frosty night with temps below -10 degrees at dawn can suddenly turn into a very mild day with temps into the low teens by evening when a warm front moves in from the south.

Canada has an extreme continental climate. I visited the Rockies in October 2010 and never got to experience the potential extremes that can be achieved, however, I left on the 20th in warm sunshine and temps at 20 degrees, only a few days later maxes were down close to freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

I remember Late September/Early October 2009, looking at conditions in Calgary, on the 23rd September it was 33C, a September record for there, then a very severe early cold spell came and on the 12th October and temperature max was -5C and low was -16C, that's a 39C max difference in less than one month!ohmy.png, see Rapid City for a more common example of this occurring.

Posted

Can be for weather...yesterday evening we had some monster storms that developed over the city from around 6 in the evening..from small thundery showers into full blown major storms with torrential rain large hail and strong winds..you could literally look out of the window and watch these storms develop and grow.

Actually,, sounds like about fifteen days at home in Essex this summer!! seriously many thunderstorms popping up in the evenings this year from nothing to full grown in minutes. Last Sunday I had five, one after the other just developing and letting wrip nearbye and overhead before decaying away again to the northeast.

Posted

I remember Late September/Early October 2009, looking at conditions in Calgary, on the 23rd September it was 33C, a September record for there, then a very severe early cold spell came and on the 12th October and temperature max was -5C and low was -16C, that's a 39C max difference in less than one month!ohmy.png, see Rapid City for a more common example of this occurring.

Actually....last winter we had a 30C drop in temps in 48 hours in the UK. Max of +14C one day and a -16C low 48 hours later if I remember rightly.

Posted

I have seen a 34c fall in temperature in less than 48 hrs..this was in Edmonton in mid may 2010 on the Wednesday afternoon it reached 32c by Friday it was snowing with a max temp of -2c.

• 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of what happened over a large swathe of central and southern Britain on the 30th June 1995- a weak cold front swept southwards and brought very little cloud and no rain, but an instant temperature drop.

You might like to read this analysis (click "get pdf" - free content) that shows that this temperature drop was actually mainly as a result of sea breezes ahead of the cold front -

http://onlinelibrary...6266.x/abstract

Edited by Interitus