Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J10

London Olympics 2012 - The Sport

Another thread this time to solely discuss the sport.

12 gold medals up for grabs today in Swimming (4), Judo (2), Shooting (2), Archery, Cycling - Road, Fencing and Weightlifting.

Mark Cavendish the big hope in the Men's road race, with swimming possibilities.

just watching the end of the mens cycling road race... I don't know much about cycling, but it looks like Team GB made a right balls up of that race!

just watching the end of the mens cycling road race... I don't know much about cycling, but it looks like Team GB made a right balls up of that race!

Partly yes, but also the other teams were not willing to work as Cavendish would probably have won in a sprint, a bit off topic but not convinced that Cavendish will be at Sky next season.

yes me too, not sure of the details of how things develop but the commentary kept telling us how team GB was controlling the race until about 1 hour from the end.

What amazed me is the average speed they travel at and the length of time they cycle for. Might be an idea to make some of our spoilt football brats from the Premier etc to do a year in this sport!

The main problem, as Cavendish said in his post-race comments was the fact that the GB riders received no help from the other riders in the peloton. They were happy to sit back and let GB do all the work and over such a long distance it takes its toll. When the gap was almost a minute with 20km to go they simply didn't have anything left to close the gap.

It's poor form really from the other non-British riders in the peloton. Most of them had no intention of trying to win the race but were seemingly more interested in preventing Cavendish from winning.

What I didn't understand is how the commentators seemed to be suggesting that other nation's riders weren't co-operating with the Team GB riders?

Why should they? It's a race! Or is that how cycling is meant to work?

Surely the plain and simple is that Team GB's tactics were totally outdone by some of the other riders and credit to them for that.

What I didn't understand is how the commentators seemed to be suggesting that other nation's riders weren't co-operating with the Team GB riders?

Why should they? It's a race! Or is that how cycling is meant to work?

Surely the plain and simple is that Team GB's tactics were totally outdone by some of the other riders and credit to them for that.

Well they ride in a peloton to save energy so its kind of an I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine thing. The Germans and the other riders were being helped by being behind the British riders and slipstreaming. In theory this could have allowed them to have a shot at winning the race themselves but they showed no ambition and didn't take their turns to lead the group and push them on. They were just happy to sit in behind the British riders which makes you wonder why they were even bothering to race.

One thing I would say is that Cavendish's lack of climbing prowess may have cost him, the other riders were attacking the hills whereas the British riders had to hold back to allow Cavendish to stay with them. I think this cost them time ultimately.

thanks for the explanations chaps....indeed the commentary team say similar things....oh well, there's always the other cycling events to win some medals from.....I'm already engrossed by the sporting action at these olympics and it's giving me chance to sample sports that I normally wouldn't watch...So far today I've watched the cycling, badminton, women's weightlifting, a spot of swimming and even the 3-day eventing dressage!......Am currently watching the Murray brothers in the tennis, Andy's already had one 'hissy' fit (nothing new there then!)

Aye, a disappointing result in the cycling - just hope 3 days rest is enouth for Wiggo before the time trials - but an overwhelming victory for the Olympics: I was astounded at the number of people watching! And great weather too.

As noted above, good performance in the men's team gymnastics (who'd have thought we'd do better than the Chinese?) and an Olympic record for the women's rowing pairs good.gif

Well they ride in a peloton to save energy so its kind of an I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine thing. The Germans and the other riders were being helped by being behind the British riders and slipstreaming. In theory this could have allowed them to have a shot at winning the race themselves but they showed no ambition and didn't take their turns to lead the group and push them on. They were just happy to sit in behind the British riders which makes you wonder why they were even bothering to race.

One thing I would say is that Cavendish's lack of climbing prowess may have cost him, the other riders were attacking the hills whereas the British riders had to hold back to allow Cavendish to stay with them. I think this cost them time ultimately.

At the top of the final climb though they were all within about a minute, and apart from GIlbert less than 40 seconds ahead, so it was more than lack of firepower after that, if all the teams had worked the group would be have been pulled back, but none of the other teams were prepared to work. In the World Champs last year GB has 9 riders, and the proximity to the Tour didn't help. Certainly the Tour was the main focus this year.

While Cavendish will never be a good climber he was leading the peleton across some of the minor hills in the Tour, so not all that bad.

At the top of the final climb though they were all within about a minute, and apart from GIlbert less than 40 seconds ahead, so it was more than lack of firepower after that, if all the teams had worked the group would be have been pulled back, but none of the other teams were prepared to work. In the World Champs last year GB has 9 riders, and the proximity to the Tour didn't help. Certainly the Tour was the main focus this year.

While Cavendish will never be a good climber he was leading the peleton across some of the minor hills in the Tour, so not all that bad.

Good points, I think the lack of manpower in the peloton may have cost GB. Had they had those 9 riders they had in the World Championships they may not have needed help from other teams.

Wiggins did say in an interview after one of the Tour stages that Cavendish had improved his climbing, but he's built for sprinting I think. Makes you wonder if the organisers could have made a flatter course to favour Cavendish more.

Not the best of days for GB with the cycling not going to plan. To add insult to injury that was won by someone previously banned for drugs.

Hannah Miley in the pool was yet again let down by her poor butterfly, she gets so far behind that at this level its very difficult to make that up.

I would say though that the media seem to deeming the lack of gold for Cavendish as some national tragedy, talk about over reaction!

We only had two genuine medal prospects today so it's hardly a time to panic.

I really wish someone would have a word with David Bond, having just seen him going into negative mode yet again on the BBC, and also I thought his interview with Jacques Rogge a few days back was appalling.

Hes now telling us that if GB don't win a gold tomorrow then questions will need to be asked! OMG the only question that needs to be asked is why we're still having to put up with him!

While it was disappointing that we got no medals today, it was a good day for rowers, male gymnasts and womens football. Medals seem possible or even likely in these events over future days. A few medal possibilities tomorrow, but none really stand out.

While it was disappointing that we got no medals today, it was a good day for rowers, male gymnasts and womens football. Medals seem possible or even likely in these events over future days. A few medal possibilities tomorrow, but none really stand out.

Yes well theres a couple of possibilities, Rebecca Adlington in the 400m and the womens road race.Although RA is the current Olympic champion she really isn't favourite for this, her banker is really the 800m.

Mark Cavendish situation reminds me of the Paula Radcliffe one of 2004. All expectations were on this one person and they did not deliver. The media were practically hanging the gold medal around them both. I hope it does not happen with Jessica Ennis. Some times the media and their hype do not do our athletes a favour. Look at Kelly Holmes, no media hype or focus on her and she got two gold medals. Just let them get on with their business.

We managed one medal on the first day, winning Gold in the Women's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay.

I don't think the UK should be too worried about getting no medals today though, still plenty of days ahead to snag some medals.

I expect the UK will finish above Australia on the medal tally. There have been cuts in sporting/Olympic money here in recent years, and this should probably show.

The UK did finish above Australia in the last Olympics and we're expected to get more medals overall this time, so I'd be disappointed if we didn't finish above Australia on home soil.

Yes well theres a couple of possibilities, Rebecca Adlington in the 400m and the womens road race.Although RA is the current Olympic champion she really isn't favourite for this, her banker is really the 800m.

Didn't think the 400m was today, thanks for the heads up.

Mark Cavendish situation reminds me of the Paula Radcliffe one of 2004. All expectations were on this one person and they did not deliver. The media were practically hanging the gold medal around them both. I hope it does not happen with Jessica Ennis. Some times the media and their hype do not do our athletes a favour. Look at Kelly Holmes, no media hype or focus on her and she got two gold medals. Just let them get on with their business.

Road Race Cycling is a team event, Team GB wanted to put Cavendish in the right place for the sprint, the rest of the peleton didn't.