Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

York Minster Fire Of 1984.

Keraunic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

On the 9th July 1984 in the early hours of the morning, a fire broke out at York Minster. Some people said it was Divine retribution after the recent enthronement of the Bishop of Durham and his views on the Virgin birth. Some blamed UFOs, most people attributed the fire to a lightning strike ( and that included the fire brigade) But some swore there WAS no lightning.

I remember that night very well and I did see lightning flickering high up in the clouds. The kind which used to be called 'Summer Lightning'. But there was no thunder as I remember. (I'm originally from York)

How feasible is it I wonder for that kind of high altitude lightning to cause a bolt powerful enough to cause that kind of raging fire? I know lightning is very powerful but this seemed quite insignificant that night. I remember because I was disappointed that there was no thunder.

For anyone who needs a reminder;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/witness/july/9/newsid_3857000/3857779.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I'm not sure it would have to be that powerful, just enough to start the fire in the roof.

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/history/york-minster-fire

Yes I suppose it would. Thanks for that link, Knocker. It looks really interesting and I've bookmarked it. :)

Posted

Yes I suppose it would. Thanks for that link, Knocker. It looks really interesting and I've bookmarked it. smile.png

it's actually difficult to find any other reason why a fire could have started where it did K. At least I can't think of one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Well if say u saw lightning flickering high up, its likely to have been an elevated thunderstorm. Storms that occur above about 6000ft or so, Cloud to ground lightning does still occur in these storms. The lack of thunder is just due to the distance from the bolts and other atmosperics such as a temperature inversion. Its most likely to have been a CG strike