Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mildest November On Record: 1994

Posted

I will be downloading all the forecasts I have taped for this remarkable month which had a CET of 10.1C. At times, it was incredibly mild, there was hardly any frosts with some minima being exceptionally high for the time of the year.

There was a slight frost at the start of the month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

How horrible..

Posted

A great month by the sounds of it, and 2011 wasn't too far behind for warmth. I enjoyed November 2011 a lot, I remember a warm Sunday almost midway through the month when some people were sitting outside the pubs in t-shirts here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I hope we get a November like that one, this year!

• Like 1

Posted

I remember November 1994 being a very dull dreary sort of month, with extensive low cloud and mist and lots of rain and drizzle. It was a very dank damp humid sort of month and very mild especially at night, I don't think we saw an air frost once.

It isn't a November I'd like to see repeated. We have had quite a few similiar Novembers since, most notably 1997 which was an atlantic dominated month with lots of blow torch very wet southwesterlies. Nov 2009 was nearly as mild but much wetter, with southerly winds. First half of Nov 2010 brought quite similiar synoptics with southerlies. Nov 2011 was nearly as mild but drier albeit it similiarly cloudy.

Nov 94 came inbetween two rather contrasting Novembers. Nov 93 saw notable snowy cold conditions in the second half. Nov 95 was a hotchpotch of all sorts, with notable mildness interspersed with short sharp cold and then a mild end.

November can bring sudden marked changes, a bit like April and May, it can be a very interesting month, with major contrasts, the end of the month being very different to the start - think 2010, equally it can be a very dull month with homogenous conditions throughout as we saw in 1994.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

I believe December was very mild too.

1994 was a remarkable year for snow patch survival in the Highlands with unusually huge totals by the end of October. Usually lasting snows arrive by mid October but many of them suffered during Nov and Dec mild spell which made it a unique year

Posted

Yes although the 2nd half was less with a cold anticycloncic interlude just before Christmas

November 24th 1994

November 25th 1994: John Kettley talks about how ridiculously mild it was. I remember that evening, we had heavy drizzle but it felt so mild. Note the pun "isobears" by John Kettley.

Posted

Very interesting.

Now can you update the rainfall statistics thread. I know that there hasn't been that much rain in the last week, but Mr Data would never have have left it this long.

Posted

1994 was a remarkable year for snow patch survival in the Highlands with unusually huge totals by the end of October. Usually lasting snows arrive by mid October but many of them suffered during Nov and Dec mild spell which made it a unique year

Winter 93/94 brought lots of polar maritime air and conversely plenty of deep snow cover to the Highland with only very shortlived thaws, which if anything enabled the snowpack to compact more than usual. The spring brought notable late season snowfalls in both April and May thanks to northerly airstreams.

I suspect part of the reason why the snow stuck through the summer was due to the large totals. However, summer 94 was a warm one with lots of humid southwesterlies and southerlies and August was very wet and sticky - I'm surprised that month didn't do more damage.

September 94 was another wet month - again surprised it didn't do more damage. October 94 equally was very wet though quite cool, so I can't understand why it took till november and december for real snow cover damage considering these months were cooler. Perhaps it was the relentless stream of tropical maritime air and its high humidities that did the trick.

Dec 94 was another very mild wet month, yes there was a shortlived cold spell before christmas and it turned colder the very tail end of the month, but on the whole southwesterlies dominated.

Winter 94/95 was the wettest on record I think. Jan 95 saw some colder conditions at times, but again shortlived, Feb 95 continued the very wet mild theme until the months end when colder conditions set in. We then saw a very marked change in conditions in early March and the start of a 2 year very dry period with extremes of cold and hot weather thanks to a very weak atlantic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't really remember much about November 1994, apart from forecasts talking of daily highs of 10-14 degrees, wondering if we were ever going to get a wintry spell (especially after the severity of late-November 1993) and a rare cold bright frosty day on the 29th. In contrast to most other parts of the UK, the Tyne and Wear area had close to average sunshine and consequently the average minimum was not as high as in most other regions- consequently November 2011 ended up even warmer there.

Subsequently, December 1994 was a mild month but I wouldn't quite call it "boring"- it had a fair number of notable events, including a few gales, an exceptional mild interlude in the second week and that cold frosty spell before Christmas, and most places were quite sunny despite frequent wind and rain.