Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

In Utero Exposure To Diesel Exhaust A Possible Risk Factor For Obesity

knocker

Posted

New research in the FASEB Journal shows evidence of neuroinflammation in the brains of mouse fetuses exposed to diesel exhaust, and increased immune activity in areas of the brain that control metabolism

Bethesda, MD—Pregnant mice exposed to high levels of air pollution gave birth to offspring with a significantly higher rate of obesity and insulin resistance in adulthood than those that were not exposed to air pollution. This effect seemed especially prevalent in male mice, which were heavier regardless of diet. These findings, published online in the FASEB Journal, suggests a link between diesel exhaust exposure in utero and bulging waistlines in adulthood.

"It is becoming clearer that our environment profoundly affects our health in ways that are little understood," said Jessica L. Bolton, Ph.D., a researcher involved in the work from the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience at Duke University in Durham, NC. "We believe these data have important implications for health disparities as a consequence of socioeconomic conditions, in which low income neighborhoods tend to be disproportionately exposed to high levels of pollution, which we hope will inform policy and regulation decisions."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-07/foas-iue071912.php

Posted

These people really ought to get proper jobs - but I guess without all these scientists making daft 'studies' like this ( the wacky world of AGW is particularly notable ), unemployment would be much higher. Seen how many fat bus drivers there are? It's nowt to do with diesel fumes; it's too many pies and bacon butties from the depot canteen, coupled with being sat on their butts most of the time. Diesel fumes, sheesh.

Posted

I would be far more concerned about the plethora of exotic man-made chemicals which people squirt on themselves and around the home these days.

It's a remarkably strange thing to be trying to link being fat to diesel fumes anyway, which makes me think some anti-car agenda is at work behind the scenes.

Posted

It's a remarkably strange thing to be trying to link being fat to diesel fumes anyway, which makes me think some anti-car agenda is at work behind the scenes.

.... a ten-year study by xxxxxxx University has highlighted a possible and deeply alarming link between vehicle exhaust particulates and pigmy toads growing slightly larger ear lobes....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Anything that even gives the slightest hint at threatening things ye like or your way of life seems to automatically get the label "conspiracy" and is cause to dismiss the scientists involved.

I'm seeing a pattern emerge.

Posted

Anything that even gives the slightest hint at threatening things ye like or your way of life seems to automatically get the label "conspiracy" and is cause to dismiss the scientists involved.

I'm seeing a pattern emerge.

What took ye? What inspires these 'studies', anyway? Does a scientist lay awake in bed at night pondering the next thing to study,then go and propose that to the rest of the bunch? "Hey guys I've often wondered if diesel fumes might be behind all those fat guys you see munching pies and burgers on bus station benches - lets get a bunch of mice and see" ! Maybe they should do a study into studying whether studying is a good alternative to doing a job which doesn't involve studying things.

Edited by laserguy

Posted

What took ye? What inspires these 'studies', anyway? Does a scientist lay awake in bed at night pondering the next thing to study,then go and propose that to the rest of the bunch? "Hey guys I've often wondered if diesel fumes might be behind all those fat guys you see munching pies and burgers on bus station benches - lets get a bunch of mice and see" ! Maybe they should do a study into studying whether studying is a good alternative to doing a job which doesn't involve studying things.

I'm guessing you've never seen a thin person eat a pie or burger? Never heard of people with seemingly high metabolisms that can eat near anything they want and not gain weight? Every health issue is just black and white? If you're fat - you eat too much. If you're thin - you eat too little.

But you know what, much of the time, a "scientist" does simply come up with an idea (could well be while lying in bed) for something to study and then go ahead and seek funding, data and whatnot for it. Thinking of possible relationships between things and then trying to find whether these relationships exist is a foreign concept to you though? Odd...

Seeking to establish an understanding of the effects of air pollution on one of the biggest health problems facing the western world, what a waste of time eh!?

Posted

Air pollution has generally decreased hugely in the west in recent decades, therefore we should be seeing less fatties?

There, I disproved the hypothesis with a simple thought experiment.

Plainly the nasty diesel fumes cause fatties theory is being over-ridden by another more important factor; so it is not something to worry about unless you have an anti-car/anti-industrialisation agenda.

Posted

Air pollution has generally decreased hugely in the west in recent decades, therefore we should be seeing less fatties?

Plainly the nasty diesel fumes cause fatties theory is being over-ridden by another more important factor; so it is not something to worry about unless you have an anti-car/anti-industrialisation agenda.

Better email the authors quick and tell them you've solved it, save them wasting anymore time.

Or perhaps ye are the ones with the anti-industrialisation agenda. Isn't fast food and excess eating part of the western industrialised way? Why else would the comparison even be made, if not to fuel the anti-west agendaohmy.png Perhaps ye are Muslim extremists, focused on destroying the west and it's hedonistic way?

Hope I'm not jumping to conclusions here though?

Posted

Interesting then that number of studies have linked increasing and more severe asthma attacks to air pollution. Could you point me to a study that indicates that low level ozone is decreasing for example.

Exposure to dirty air is linked to decreased function of a gene that appears to increase the severity of asthma in children, according to a joint study by researchers at Stanford University and the University of California, Berkeley.

While air pollution is known to be a source of immediate inflammation, this new study provides one of the first pieces of direct evidence that explains how some ambient air pollutants could have long-term effects.

The findings, published in the October 2010 issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, come from a study of 181 children with and without asthma in the California cities of Fresno and Palo Alto.

The researchers found that air pollution exposure suppressed the immune system's regulatory T cells (Treg), and that the decreased level of Treg function was linked to greater severity of asthma symptoms and lower lung capacity. Treg cells are responsible for putting the brakes on the immune system so that it doesn't react to non-pathogenic substances in the body that are associated with allergy and asthma. When Treg function is low, the cells fail to block the inflammatory responses that are the hallmark of asthma symptoms.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20101006/Researchers-find-exposure-to-air-pollution-increases-severity-of-asthma-symptoms.aspx

Posted

There seems to be no depths to which these scientists won't stoop. Just as well urban pollutution is rapidly on the decrease.

New study links air pollution and early death in the UK

Researchers find car exhaust causes more premature deaths than car accidents

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- In a study appearing this month in the journal Environmental Science and Technology, MIT researchers report that emissions from cars, trucks, planes and powerplants cause 13,000 premature deaths in the United Kingdom each year.

The researchers analyzed data from 2005, the most recent year for which information is available. They found that among the various sources of emissions in the country, car and truck exhaust was the single greatest contributor to premature death, affecting some 3,300 people per year. By comparison, the researchers note, fewer than 3,000 Britons died in road accidents in 2005.

The researchers found that emissions originating elsewhere in Europe cause an additional 6,000 early deaths in the U.K. annually; U.K. emissions that migrate outside the country, in turn, cause 3,100 premature deaths per year in other European Union nations. In some areas on the periphery of the U.K. — such as northern Scotland — almost all air pollution comes from the rest of Europe, the researchers say.

MIT's Steven Barrett and his co-author Steve Yim began the study in light of recent events in the U.K.: London is currently in violation of air quality standards set by the E.U., and the British government may face significant E.U. fines if it fails to address its air pollution.

"We wanted to know if the responsibility to maintain air quality was matched by an ability to act or do something about it," says Barrett, the Charles Stark Draper Assistant Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics at MIT. "The results of the study indicate there is an asymmetry there."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-04/miot-nsl041912.php

Another study

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-10/ats-ape101910.php

And ozone

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-11/jhub-gol111504.php

Posted

You're right, the modern world is full of dreadful undiscovered dangers.

Furthermore those evil capitalist factories and oil companies probably know the risks and don't want us to know what mortal danger we are in.

Things were much better in the Middle Ages, only had to worry about trivial things like Bubonic plague, Scarlet fever and Cholera then.

I do wonder when I see a professed 'car hater' - see cycling thread - parading stories like this here.

Seems to me that get the right funding and you can prove anything you want then get the indoctrinated plebs to push the nonsense worldwide.

I guess this is one major drawback of the internet age.

Posted

There seems to be no depths to which these scientists won't stoop. Just as well urban pollutution is rapidly on the decrease.

New study links air pollution and early death in the UK

Researchers find car exhaust causes more premature deaths than car accidents

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- In a study appearing this month in the journal Environmental Science and Technology, MIT researchers report that emissions from cars, trucks, planes and powerplants cause 13,000 premature deaths in the United Kingdom each year.

The researchers analyzed data from 2005, the most recent year for which information is available. They found that among the various sources of emissions in the country, car and truck exhaust was the single greatest contributor to premature death, affecting some 3,300 people per year. By comparison, the researchers note, fewer than 3,000 Britons died in road accidents in 2005.

The researchers found that emissions originating elsewhere in Europe cause an additional 6,000 early deaths in the U.K. annually; U.K. emissions that migrate outside the country, in turn, cause 3,100 premature deaths per year in other European Union nations. In some areas on the periphery of the U.K. — such as northern Scotland — almost all air pollution comes from the rest of Europe, the researchers say.

MIT's Steven Barrett and his co-author Steve Yim began the study in light of recent events in the U.K.: London is currently in violation of air quality standards set by the E.U., and the British government may face significant E.U. fines if it fails to address its air pollution.

"We wanted to know if the responsibility to maintain air quality was matched by an ability to act or do something about it," says Barrett, the Charles Stark Draper Assistant Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics at MIT. "The results of the study indicate there is an asymmetry there."

Fines over air pollution! Lefty's at it again, with their "research" nonsense, carbon taxes and Al Gore I tell ya. They want us to go back to the dark ages with streets being lined with horse droppings, infant deaths and no running water. Bet the researchers know someone in the green energy sector who has offered them millions to make up this bunkum.

I live in a city with lots of cars and I haven't died prematurely. Therefore, the whole study is nullified. Why can't they just use some common sense eh!?

post-6901-0-52712900-1342807728_thumb.gi

qm.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Seems removing lead from petrol came to late for some?

Posted

Seems removing lead from petrol came to late for some?

Ye,lead being withdrawn from fuel as the AGW movement was in ascendance - what a coincidence. Too late,the cumulative effect of decades of lead absorption had already got to them. Creepy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I love my Landy, I'd be lost without my car and stuck out in the sticks with no way of going anywhere. Having said that, I also know when I go to London, hang around Paddington station waiting for a train, I'm wheezing like an old lady the next day. I'm not asthmatic nor suffer from any other breathing problems; it's merely a response to the pollution I've been breathing in.

Were those studies of deaths from emissions cross referenced with other studies which conclude that having a dog dramatically reduces the incidence of childhood asthma; or the ones which conclude living in an environment which is too clean also increases the incidence of allergies and asthma?

Posted

.... when I go to London, hang around Paddington station waiting for a train, I'm wheezing like an old lady the next day. I'm not asthmatic nor suffer from any other breathing problems; it's merely a response to the pollution I've been breathing in.

Ye but have you also noticed any unusual weight gain after such visits J, or is it confined entirely to those pesky,plump rodents scurrying around your feet?

Posted

If you do not take in more calories than you burn you cannot get fat, simple. Diesel fumes, genetics, hormones etc cannot break the laws of thermodynamics.

But can impact your metabolism...

Posted

Ye but have you also noticed any unusual weight gain after such visits J, or is it confined entirely to those pesky,plump rodents scurrying around your feet?

Wouldn't I have to ask my Mum if she sat in Paddington inhaling fumes?

Posted

Wouldn't I have to ask my Mum if she sat in Paddington inhaling fumes?

Ye, wondered how long it would be before someone spotted that!

Posted

Ye, wondered how long it would be before someone spotted that!

Knocking on for 50, having had three kids and still being the same size I was when I left school, I'm guessing she breathed in clean air when pregnant.