Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Do You Get Female Anoraks?

Apropos nothing at all really but this evening whilst puzzling over a particle physics problem I suddenly wondered whether female anoraks exist, I must admit I don't recall meeting one.

Having said that I did hear an interview on the radio recently with a bloke who's wife was obsessed with chickens. He was quite amusing and life was controlled by these chickens.

Tricky problem really as I suppose weather enthusiasts.................no, musn't go there.

Well, I've done a fare bit of train spotting in my time. Usually when they've given the old steam locos an airing. Mallard, Sir Nigel Gresley etc. And of course the weather and storms. Big passions....writing and history. :D

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. From observations, men retain - and find important - details (like car model numbers, train serial numbers, football scores) better, but us women remember things like family birthdays better.

I've rolled around with laughter with fellow bemused females at the sight of men of a certain age in kagools with notebooks and flasks scampering manically round Willesden Junction station because they didn't know which side of an island platform a particular pairing of two 1950s diesel shunting engines would pass. Presumably they'd have exploded if anything powered by steam had gone through. As it was, they went round the Willesden loop, 300 yards away, causing mass depression.

On the other hand, my bro's partner is just as obsessive about horses and ponies.

but us women remember things like family birthdays better.

You always remember mine!! laugh.png

I guess it depends on the definition of an anorak as well. Quite subjective.

What was the particle physics problem, if I may ask?

That's very true QS. I've met one or two twitchers in my time, and they have an encyclopaedic knowledge, so I suppose the question is when does a healthy interest tip over to an obsession? Again there doesn't seem to many women in this category although I admit it's a very small sample. I've seen many a photo of them on their annnual pilgramige to the Scilly Isles, telephotos like gun barrels, but I don't recollect any women in the photos.

I'm afraid I was using particle physics very loosely. I was trying for the nth time to read "The Road To Reality" by Roger Penrose which is supposed to be readily understood by the layman. I'm afraid I must accept that I'm very thick because I find the book just about unreadable.

Female anoraks? Aren't they the ones that do-up the wrong way?rofl.gif

Coincidently, I was having a conversation about that very book recently. I've got it in my collection, and having read a few 'heavy' books in the past, I have to say that is one of the hardest to digest of all.

I know it's a hard balance for the authors to strike, to reduce the amount of maths that goes in to 'laymans' books (I wouldn't use 'laymans' for that one, to be fair) and encourage more readers, or add more relevant detail and risk losing half your audience.

I'd have thought if anyone could pull off a good balance, Roger Penrose would be the man, but then again, it does confess to being 'A complete guide to the Laws of the Universe', I suppose.

I take your point QS. I do have a BSc (Hons), (armchair variety) but I must admit I've found this book a struggle.

I like to think we girly nerds have a little more style than rip-stop nylon. And of course, accessorised with fabulous shoes.

I like to think we girly nerds have a little more style than rip-stop nylon. And of course, accessorised with fabulous shoes.

You are obviously not a nerd if you know how to accessorise and you know the concept of a fabulous pair of shoes!

Have you ever seen a train spotter in a Calvin Klein suit?

Pete Waterman? On top of which, wouldn't being seen out in public wearing Calvin Klein be more an indication of being a fashion victim than a matter of taste (or an exhibitionist, given that he mostly creates underwear rather than outerwear)?