Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Lots of convective activity here this morning. Looks promising for later.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I find it interesting that despite there being a decent risk of storms today for the region, there's not many members from the south-east chatting away about MCSs and "imports"...which, by the way, arise via an entirely different setup than today's.

I put it down to a lack of input from 'select' members, whose words are heeded more than others'.

Did I just say that?

I do live in the SE and if you are refering to me, then I am sorry that I can't be on N-W 24/7 to issue forecasts everyday there's a risk in the UK and when wanted. Unfortunately working long-shifts and bringing up a baby don't allow me to be on Netweather all the time. Though I have issued a storm forecast for today earlier ...

I certainly have no bias to just forecasting for the SE of England - many of the best set-ups this year have avoided the SE anyway! 28/06/12 when I issued a Moderate risk for central/Eastern England a case in point.

Posted

Well, the sky has gone very dark towards heathrow/windsor/reading way, temp also feels like it's dropped a few degrees, was nice and sunny. still and warm, now cooling and the light is going very'cool' too, and a sudden gust of wind now from nowhere!

Getting the washing in......!!!

and here comes the rain! blustery and a good 6 or 7 degrees lower temp than just 10 minutes ago... could it...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Great little storm cell just went over SW9, pea sized hail, heavy rain, potent down downdraught, some IC and CG lightning nice for a lazy Sunday morning!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Loads of showers n storms about today i see :D, big one near here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Interesting looking cluster looming around The Brum, will keep my eye on that closely as it moves East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

more sun than showers here now ,had a distant rumble 15 mins ago probably north of here cells to my far west looking favourable for about 1 pm ish . pressure just gone up a bit .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Corking little hail shower!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Lovely and sunny here, anything around the northwest at all or is it business as usuall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Wow - having the most spectacular storm here at the moment. Proper lightening and claps of thunder. Love it !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Absolutely no chance here of any sferics. Expecting on and off drizzle for the day ahead (Bradford and storms go together like pasta and custard lol). The NMM shows that there is very little CAPE around West Yorkshire today, although East Yorkshire looks better. Best chances today are across the Midlands (especially East Midlands) and then East Anglia and the SE look good for later on this afternoon.

Can I hold you to that Supacell, there's a good few showers about it seems, one is knocking on my door at RG14, maybe it'll turn thundery. A fair few not far from you again as well, you may even get a surprise rumble, if you haven't already. Looking very electrical in sw london right now. good.gif

Posted

Wow - having the most spectacular storm here at the moment. Proper lightening and claps of thunder. Love it !!

Yep.. got that on the horizon and heading my way... already hearing multiple rumbles of thunder.

Posted

Lights flickered once, can't hear thunder though.... (but I do have a stinking cold so my ears are muffled!) lots of convection over towards windsor/reading....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I do live in the SE and if you are refering to me, then I am sorry that I can't be on N-W 24/7 to issue forecasts everyday there's a risk in the UK and when wanted. Unfortunately working long-shifts and bringing up a baby don't allow me to be on Netweather all the time. Though I have issued a storm forecast for today earlier ...

I certainly have no bias to just forecasting for the SE of England - many of the best set-ups this year have avoided the SE anyway! 28/06/12 when I issued a Moderate risk for central/Eastern England a case in point.

Nick, like many, I await your posts with much anticipation each day and when you have not issued a forecast, I think it's safe to say, decent convection is not on the cards. With your UK perspective to your forecasts, I soon get an idea as to whether there is likely to be storms IMBY. It is left trouser legging (spell it right spellchecker) rofl.gif down right now in Newbury (yes and thundering) and I hope folk are staying safe, especially at the Olmypic venues. drinks.gifgood.gif

A very interesting day convection wise for sure.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Great thunderstorm just moved through here, pouring rain, lots of fork lightning and loud thunder. Also some good pea sized hail in there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
Posted · Hidden by snow raven, July 29, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by snow raven, July 29, 2012 - No reason given

Think you've missed my point, Nick. What's this about bias? I didn't even imply that. Of course you're not biased.

My point was simply that certain members' posts are valued more than others. Following on from your forecast on the previous page a case in point.

Well, I must admit not having a clue what you are trying to say here.

Of course some members posts are valued more than others in an open forum. That happens in every forum.

And, value can be added by some members posts, not just in the content, but in how they present their content.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can I hold you to that Supacell, there's a good few showers about it seems, one is knocking on my door at RG14, maybe it'll turn thundery. A fair few not far from you again as well, you may even get a surprise rumble, if you haven't already. Looking very electrical in sw london right now. good.gif

You can indeed :). Already the odd sferic in NE Yorkshire (not West Yorkshire) but loads across the southern East Midlands and the SE. Just moderate rain here, but not disappointed as don't expect anything here today.

Could be a few flashes overnight in the NW too if latest NMM is anything to go by (but not as far east as here)