Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

finally got a storm! yeah buddy!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Was an impressive bout of weather between 5 and 6 this morning, with a red/orange front to the cell as it came in as the sun rose. Loved the sound of clear, crisp thunder too as opposed to the muffled trumps that occur when it's humid. In fact, it sounded like thunder we get in wintry showers.

Been a lovely day since 11am though. :)

yes MIGUEL HUGO ROBERTO it was very impressive with colours i went to get my old camera which was loaded with old fashioned slide film but battery was dud and my digital out of enough space and by the time i deleted a few a messed around i lost that magic moment .they always seem to pop up without much warning , oh mother nature so kind ,but youve got to be quick ,a nice summers evening now bit of a cold wind ,pressure still rising but slowly .cheers all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Nice little storm here, couple of flashes proceeded by loud thunder, first of the season. Very rare to get a direct hit here, maybe down to the fact that we are on one side of a valley (Lee Valley) which means most of the storms are funneled through and end up missing us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

yes thunder in cold air is much crisper as molecules are closer together and denser , soildiers must go very carefull in cold conditions as noise will give your position away as, if the enemy have your direction there are other ways of finding out your location ,but i wont say what for obviouse reasons ,hope we all get some fun this week ,plenty of synoptic variables about ,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Think that's about it for us today. Sun is losing its strength rapidly and the main trough has cleared through. Can't complain as we did have a thundery shower with a few rumbles. Looked very tasty down Suffolk and Essex way today though!

Posted

Looking fairly wet and blustery on the Kayak stages in London at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

DAMMIT ! I was so close to this, I saw the CB in the distance sliding from west to east across the sky, but assumed it was just a heavy shower, if only I has taken a 15 mile drive south, You are SO lucky with storms , they seem to follow you and avoid me,

Here you are coming to my storm starved region were I have has nothing, then come and get a storm here, after the many you have had in London, its not fairnonono.gifblum.gif

That does take the Micky quite a bit I agree. It wasn't just normal thunder, but one that constantly goes on and echoes slightly.... and cracks the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

MUST SAY!

First proper thunderstorm in years, finally today, I saw a reasonable summer storm. Around 50 flashes of lightning, loud thunder, absolutely torrential downpours of rain. Was the best I've seen in years, the lightning was still what I wouldn't class as frequent, as it was about 1-2 flashes per minute at most, but saw lots of flashes and the rain was incredible.

I will upload a print screen of the net-weather radar shot over my location, as you can see we got a huge cell, unfortunately, I wasn't on net-weather at the time to see the lightning strike recording as I was installing a graphics card, but this cell produced a deluge of rain and a good amount of lightning:

post-8427-0-50756600-1343587468_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

50 fllashes of lightning! My jealousy continues!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

MUST SAY!

First proper thunderstorm in years, finally today, I saw a reasonable summer storm. Around 50 flashes of lightning, loud thunder, absolutely torrential downpours of rain. Was the best I've seen in years, the lightning was still what I wouldn't class as frequent, as it was about 1-2 flashes per minute at most, but saw lots of flashes and the rain was incredible.

I will upload a print screen of the net-weather radar shot over my location, as you can see we got a huge cell, unfortunately, I wasn't on net-weather at the time to see the lightning strike recording as I was installing a graphics card, but this cell produced a deluge of rain and a good amount of lightning:

post-8427-0-50756600-1343587468_thumb.pn

That is exactly the same line of activity to which I was referring to in an earlier post. It looked very impressive on radar and it seems it was a corker.

Well done to all those, that got their Thunder today.

A few quiet days ahead, excepting parts of the North for tomorrow and then from about midweek, things look up again.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Steve B reporting in excess of 30mm of rain in Weston Super Mare, thunder also reported from the Bristol area!

Meanwhile here in West Wiltshire just 25ish miles away just 2 sharp showers, 1mm of rain and a mostly sunny day!

So that's 1mm of rain in the last 11 days.

Where will tonight's Bristol Channel streamer set up? There will be one, there always is in these set ups.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

As expected there was nothing up here. I think i hit it pretty well when i said East Midlands, EA and SE for the best storms today although I did not expect them to be as numerous or as organised as they were. Even so, own trumpet blowing currently in progress :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

As expected there was nothing up here. I think i hit it pretty well when i said East Midlands, EA and SE for the best storms today although I did not expect them to be as numerous or as organised as they were. Even so, own trumpet blowing currently in progress biggrin.png

post-7183-0-60220000-1343591439_thumb.jp

blum.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

so then, let's see how the pre-storm check list for the West Midlands panned out in the end

Convection - check

Rainfall - check

Thunder - Our Survey said.....X

.....Bugger doh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Sweet rotating storm that I filmed here in Watford

My garden looks like a building site because my dads building a pond.

Plus a bit shakey

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Wow. Didn't expect anything from today but have just caught my first UK funnel cloud on the southern tip of the storm that just passed through! Spotted over New Barnet about 30 mins ago heading East towards NE London. The wall cloud got interestingly low as it moved away and the storm pulsated but it got difficult to tell as the light went down. Will upload the video I've got a bit later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

This was taken from under a tree near the fence at Manchester Airport, on our way back from the Runway Viewing Park (After visiting Concorde) this is a picture of the first Thunderstorm that rolled through yesterday... the second one was just behind this.

I believe this was the Australian Olympic teams aircraft... with a double rainbow.

70di4h.jpg

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

Steve B reporting in excess of 30mm of rain in Weston Super Mare, thunder also reported from the Bristol area!

Meanwhile here in West Wiltshire just 25ish miles away just 2 sharp showers, 1mm of rain and a mostly sunny day!

So that's 1mm of rain in the last 11 days.

Where will tonight's Bristol Channel streamer set up? There will be one, there always is in these set ups.

It's started! Coming in over Weston again!

Posted

Wow. Didn't expect anything from today but have just caught my first UK funnel cloud on the southern tip of the storm that just passed through! Spotted over New Barnet about 30 mins ago heading East towards NE London. The wall cloud got interestingly low as it moved away and the storm pulsated but it got difficult to tell as the light went down. Will upload the video I've got a bit later.

Was watching that storm from the south of you, interesting radar returns, did change direction a few times.

Not suprised re funnel cloud, maybe the boss Paul Sherman could add more.

Posted

It's started! Coming in over Weston again!

I noticed that. You too deserve a medal regarding your prediction earlier. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Another Storm to my West...great lightening!! Wasn't expecting this so late

Don't be cruel!!!rofl.gif