Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

The Open

With the Olympics just around the corner, the Open golf seems to have been overlooked. It starts on Thursday at Royal Lytham and St Anne's.

Who will win it this year?

Tough call. Just hope there isn't too much rain overnight & tomorrow. With a tough course & deep rough, you need a reliable player, one who keeps it pretty straight & doesn't make too many errors. I'll be looking at a Jim Furyk, Lee Westwood type. Obviously Tiger if he brings his best, but any wayward hitting will be severely punished. Worth a look, Dustin Johnson, Ricky Fowler, Francisco Molinari & Ian Poulter.

Evening all,

As I've stated before, I work for a Bookmakers and it goes without saying, we do a fair bit of business on this event.

I'm running a fantasy competition on The Open at work whereby you pick 14 players from the top 40 or so in the betting and bonus points are awarded for lowest round of the day, anyone lucky enough to get a hole in one and also a top 5 finish.

All 14 players finishing positions count with any bonus points subtracted from their finishing positions.

From those 14 players you have to nominate the player you think will win, you gain extra points based on their price, which are again subtracted from their finishing position. Finally all your 14 players final totals (Finishing position minus any bonus points), are added together and divided by 14 to give an average total for each of your golfers. Obviously the entry with the lowest average figure is declared the winner.

The object is to get as many of your 14 players through the cut, as this will help your final total.

I've made it sound really complicated but it is very simple, really!

I wont go through all my players but you've named 5 of them in your post, Dave.

Fwiw, my nominated winner is Louis Oosthuizen, an Open winner already and 2nd in The Masters this year (beaten by Bubba Watson in a play-off) and seems to have the game and temperament for the big tournaments.

Agree with your comments Dave about accuracy and like you, fancy Francesco Molinari, if he can put last weeks play-off loss to J-M Singh in the Scottish Open, behind him.

He's playing consistently well at the moment and figures very high in Stats for Driving Accuracy, Greens In Regulation and Scrambling. Putting being a bit of an Achilles Heel for him.

Anyway, enjoy the tournament.

Best Wishes,

Tom

Best Wishes

It looks like the weather overall may be kinder than previous Opens, looks like it could be mostly dry apart from tomorrow. It certainly won't be cracking the flags at any stage but Sunday looks like it could be pleasant for the final round.

Not a big follower of golf but i do like watching the majors.

And as i like a bet i do find betting on the golf gives me a buzz.

Picked out Bubba for the Masters at 45/1.

For the Open i've gone for Mickelson and McDowell - also a couple of small wagers e/w on the Scottish Open winner from last week and Zach Johnson.

Usually like to add a couple more after the 2nd round has finished!

Best of luck to all

It looks like the weather overall may be kinder than previous Opens, looks like it could be mostly dry apart from tomorrow. It certainly won't be cracking the flags at any stage but Sunday looks like it could be pleasant for the final round.

Pity really as a bit of wind does tend to make it interesting.

Well the rough is too long and difficult to get out of apparently. I thought the idea of a course was too test the contestants. I've got little sympathy for all the moaning Tiger is doing.

Ernie Els wins the Open after Adam Scott blew it on the inward 9. He was 4 strokes ahead at one stage.

Wonder how much you would have got if you had put a few quid on at the start of the week!

Ernie Els wins the Open after Adam Scott blew it on the inward 9. He was 4 strokes ahead at one stage.

Funny afternoon everybody going backwards Scott holding steady. Ernie then decides to post a score and see if Scott could match it and after one bogey he crumbled.Tiger a shadow of himself I wonder if he'll retire soon?

I thinl Els was about 40s before it all started - adam scott about the same.

Today, before tee-off Els was about 25s i think.

With Scott it was shades of Jean van der Velt.

Van der Velt was an amazing feat of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Still remember watching that.

Yes when you look at the last round scores Ernie posted the only under par total amongst those who finished near the top.

I suppose you can say he deserved it-though Scotty will remember that awful finish-4 bogys in the last 4 holes was it?

oh dear! this will stick with Adam Scott for some time unfortunately, it was his trophy to throw away - he's a great pro with one of the best swings on the US tour and hits the ball a long way and looked pretty solid all week even going into the last 9 holes. It was really a tournament who could stay out of the bunkers the least, Tiger Woods is still not quite there and made too many bunkers and some strange mionionss with irons but Ernie undoubtedly played the best today and on that you can't begrudge him a surprising win. Liked to have seen some more weather and I should think none of the final scores would have been below par!

I think Tiger`s lack of confidence in his Driver led to his tatics of using irons off nearly every tee.It left him with long second approaches which resulted in few birdie chances on the greens.

He appears to have continual self doubts and lacks the supreme confidence he used to have.

He has now become a mere mortal on the golf course now it seems.

He can still produce great shots but he misses putts now that he used to drain and along with his driving problems he has less of a game.

Maybe he can sort it out but he looks constantly frustrated with himself on the course at the moment.

I think Tiger`s lack of confidence in his Driver led to his tatics of using irons off nearly every tee.It left him with long second approaches which resulted in few birdie chances on the greens.

He appears to have continual self doubts and lacks the supreme confidence he used to have.

He can still produce great shots but he misses putts now that he used to drain and along with his driving problems he has less of a game.

Maybe he can sort it out but he looks constantly frustrated with himself on the course at the moment.

yeah couldn't agree more, to be at the top like he was and be the No1 sportsman for quite a few years was unbelievable but there is a self doubt there now (as Faldo stated) he used to automatically sink 6-8 foot putts and now he makes some really poor shots from not particularly difficult situations - still a bloody good golfer by professional standards though.

I had a little chuckle at my earlier post above- he`s now Number 2 in the latest official worrld rankings.

http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/home/default.sps

Coming on the back of his joint third place finish in the Open.

He`s still way behind Donald in terms of points but i have to admit that`s impressive in view of his inconsistency with his game.

It show`s the talent the man still has in spite of playing in second gear.