Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coast

People Living Near English Coasts Are 'Healthier' - Apparently!

Well I can't say I've noticed, but then I've always lived here!!!!

People living near sea 'healthier'

People, who live on the English coast have better health compared to people who live inland, a new survey has revealed. According to researchers, living in areas such as Skegness, St Ives or Scarborough had been linked to a "small, but significant" improvement in health.

Lower stress and more opportunities to exercise have been suggested as possible explanations. The researchers had looked at data from 48 million people in England from the 2001 census. They compared how close people had been to the bracing sea air and their answer to a question about their own health. The study had been conducted by the European Centre for Environment and Human Health at the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Exeter.

It found that people living less than 1 km from the sea had been more likely to say that they were in "good health" than people living further away. The effect had been small but the researchers said that when magnified across 48 million people, it could have a large impact on public health.

Lead researcher Dr Ben Wheeler said that loads of explanations had been suggested, although they had not yet been tested. "One of the most obvious is the opportunity for physical activity or being more motivated to go for a walk along the coast," the BBC quoted Wheeler as saying

http://timesofindia....ow/15017569.cms

There are also ideas about 'being beside the seaside' being a more relaxing environment. However, there is another explanation. Wealthier and healthier people might be more able to move to the coast. "They are possibly moving to the coast and bringing their good health with them," Dr Wheeler told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-18856680

http://www.sciencedi...353829212001220

Perhaps I should move.

I'm picturing Eastbourne, and the good folk who live there, being a bit like the Baywatch set!!

post-1808-0-46312500-1342526806_thumb.jp

He sounds about 19nea.gif

Dr Ben Wheeler said that loads of explanations had been suggested

I'm picturing Eastbourne, and the good folk who live there, being a bit like the Baywatch set!!

Oh they really are all like that, just a bit more 'covered up'.......

1178209.jpg

eastbourne%20-%20old%20ladies%20pier%20400x550.jpg

Well I'm doing my bit to keep Scarborough unhealthy (and keep the local Fish and Chip shops in business during the recession!) :) Clearly not having that much effect on the stats though!

Perhaps I should move.

post-1808-0-46312500-1342526806_thumb.jp

I went to school with that second guy on the left. Jason Simmons.

And personally speaking I feel I'm missing something when I can't see the sea.

Maybe it's our primevil instincts of attachment, it is supposedly where we crawled out from.

Well I'm doing my bit to keep Scarborough unhealthy (and keep the local Fish and Chip shops in business during the recession!) smile.png Clearly not having that much effect on the stats though!

That's a good point, I always assumed that in Scarborough you live on Fish and Chips, Whelks Ice Cream and sticks of Rock.