Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Getting Old

I'm beginning to wonder whether losing your sense of humour is part of getting old. I mention this because I just happened to have caught a couple of comedy programmes on TV recently that left me stone cold. I'm wondering whether it's just me or has comedy gone down hill in recen't years? Before anyone mentions it I realise one can get a sense of proportion by popping into the model thread.

Come back Tommy Cooper.

I'm wondering whether it's just me or has comedy gone down hill in recen't years?

Interesting topic. I don't think when getting older that you lose your sense of humour as such, maybe TV comedy is not funny anymore or that the comedy is not aimed at the older generation, or someone is not interested in what's on like they used to be because it's all changed, i think the answer is more likely comedy is not as funny in certain ways, i think about the Carry On films, Steptoe and Son, Faulty Towers and Mr Bean, that is what i laugh at, what i see today is not LOL stuff how it used to be, Jack Dee is one of a few modern comediens i find funny, but there are not many. Back in the days of Frank Spencer, Only Fools and Horses, and of course the Tommy Cooper days, those days comedy was different, it was really funny and alot of the tv shows were about everyday life.

I'm quite sure there's not as much to laugh at on the comedy shows these days, it's just not the same, i have sat though many modern comedies and not laughed a bit, some where background laughter is so frequent sometimes has me wondering what's funny!!

Humour is very subjective. One man's 'falling on the floor laughing' is another man's 'so what's funny about this'. For example I didn't think Tommy Cooper was all that funny, or Morcambe &Wise (except when I was a child) but I love some of today's comedians with John Bishop my favourite. I think his type of stand-up routine is hilarious, but I know that many others do not share that view.

But yes, I do sometimes think that our taste in comedy changes as we age. Like I said above i loved M&W as a child but now I watch them and think they are faintly ridiculous.

I agree, some one can laugh at some shows and others not, or some scenes found funny by some and not others.

I'm beginning to wonder whether losing your sense of humour is part of getting old. I mention this because I just happened to have caught a couple of comedy programmes on TV recently that left me stone cold. I'm wondering whether it's just me or has comedy gone down hill in recen't years? Before anyone mentions it I realise one can get a sense of proportion by popping into the model thread.

Come back Tommy Cooper.

What were the shows in question knocker?

I find most mainstream comedies dull anyway, including most stand-up.

I'm not losing anything...it's all shifted slightly south but it's deffo still there including my sense of humour - getting old is not an option as far as I'm concerned it's all in the mind.

As far as comedy shows go I do prefer some of the old classics like 'Allo 'Allo! and you can't beat a bit of the Two Ronnies I don't think there are so many of those great comedy writers around these days and with all the channels on offer all TV programmes seem to have been diluted due to lack of viewers and budget cuts.

I'm not a big fan of the American sitcoms at all but there are some new British comedy shows like Mrs Brown's Boys that have me in stitches. I've got tickets to see Jenny Eclair's stand up stage show 'Eclarious' when it comes to MK later in the year along with Michael McIntyre and Sarah Millican she is one of my favourite present day comedians.

What were the shows in question knocker?

I find most mainstream comedies dull anyway, including most stand-up.

I caught John Bishop last night BFTV and I found it quite boring. Forty years ago I thought Connolly brilliant but then he started dropping the 'f' word in every other sentence which for some reason people found hilarious. I also recently watched some old Hancock and thought to myself, "why did I find that funny at the time". Of course humour changes over time so you have to put it in some sort of context but I suspect, certainly in my case, I haven't moved with it.

I caught John Bishop last night BFTV and I found it quite boring. Forty years ago I thought Connolly brilliant but then he started dropping the 'f' word in every other sentence which for some reason people found hilarious. I also recently watched some old Hancock and thought to myself, "why did I find that funny at the time". Of course humour changes over time so you have to put it in some sort of context but I suspect, certainly in my case, I haven't moved with it.

Yes, knocker. You've hit the nail right on the head...The 'modern' penchant for gratuitous profanity has, to my mind, undermined much of what was clever in real comedy? What is funny about a string of expletives, anyway? I don't find the vocabulary of those obnoxious groups of chavs that loiter in bus-stops funny, in any way at all. So, why is it supposed to be so 'hilarious' when some twonk does it on TV?

Quite agree RP. I still enjoy the old clips of Dave Allen.

I went to see Dave Allen live, back in the '70s, knocker. Needless to say, I had to endure nearly 2 hours' unremitting non-stop filth. Watching grass grow in slomo would've been more entertaining...

But his TV stuff was brilliant!

Dave Allen was soooo funny and I loved the way he poked fun at religion. It didn't offend me at all (though I know some people disliked that aspect of his humour) But some time ago, a friend and myself sat down to watch Billy Connolly and it was vile. He too was mocking religion but it was done in such a way as to be deeply offensive. And as you all say, his language was ghastly. I don't like so-called comedians who trot out the F word every verse end. This is NOT clever comedy IMO.

Dave Allen was soooo funny and I loved the way he poked fun at religion. It didn't offend me at all (though I know some people disliked that aspect of his humour) But some time ago, a friend and myself sat down to watch Billy Connolly and it was vile. He too was mocking religion but it was done in such a way as to be deeply offensive. And as you all say, his language was ghastly. I don't like so-called comedians who trot out the F word every verse end. This is NOT clever comedy IMO.

Hey K. we completely agree on something. I'm breaking out the bunting.smile.png

Hey K. we completely agree on something. I'm breaking out the bunting.smile.png

Aye, its a Red Letter Day, Knocker and no mistake. YAY! :D

Its all about understanding..often comedy is about life experiences and how you relate to it and your changes perceptions of what is funny..as a child i was the opposite to someone else earlier i didnt find Morecambe and Wise all that funny but my dad loved it..now i think it is hilarious, that's because now im an adult i can see the humour that went complete over my head as a child because i didn't understand it. I found men behaving badly gut bustingly funny because i lived that exact same life for a few years so i could relate to it 100%..also another one is Gavin and Stacey because when i grew up in Essex i had friends the exact carbon copy of Gavin and Smithy (although not fat). This is why i dont get a lot of American sitcoms etc because they dont relate to me...i did not grow up there and have no experience of their way of life.

So as you get older you become more removed from the younger generation and their life experiences and become more like a child again and you then dont understand what is funny.

Mock the Week never fails to make me laugh but the likes of Little Britain leave me cold. I'm probably the only person alive who doesn't find Ricky Gervais even remotely entertaining and as for Russell Brand, can someone please explain why he's even employed, let alone on TV.

If all else fails, The Life of Brian is a guaranteed giggle, ditto Eddie Izzard.

Gervais makes my skin crawl even though we come from the same county :)

Used to like Mike Yarwood when I was a wee tot

Laughed at Harry Enfield in the nineties along with the Simpsons for it's subtle over the heads of children humour and then I turned into an old git.

Come to think of it when the muppets first came out around 76 I thought the 2 hecklers were a gas.

The most overrated "comdiean" I've had to endure recently is Michael McIntyre. I'd never seen him until a TV show last Christmas but had read and heard rave reviews about him. I watched his show and found nothing amusing at all, although the audience seemd to be in a permanent state of hysteria. Mind, it was on the BBC and they'll indulge anybody who's leftist, look how many series the totally humourless French & Saunders were allowed and they continue to desperately find a vehicle for the "lesbian comedian" Sue Perkins who, at her best, was about as funny as Foot and Mouth disease, but as a lesbian leftie she has to be given a profile.

All at taxpayers expense, too.

The most overrated "comdiean" I've had to endure recently is Michael McIntyre...

Seen him on the telly at the insistence of the missus,who thinks he's great. I think he's about as funny as a bad dose of haemorrhoids. She wants to fork out hard-earned dosh to go see him live. I don't get that; seeing a comic live doesn't make him or her funnier (or not) than when they're on telly. I mean,it's not like a rock concert where you can only get the volume and scale that no domestic set-up can hope to emulate. Best comic ever? Dennis Leary.bomb.gif

Seen him on the telly at the insistence of the missus,who thinks he's great. I think he's about as funny as a bad dose of haemorrhoids. She wants to fork out hard-earned dosh to go see him live. I don't get that; seeing a comic live doesn't make him or her funnier (or not) than when they're on telly. I mean,it's not like a rock concert where you can only get the volume and scale that no domestic set-up can hope to emulate. Best comic ever? Dennis Leary.bomb.gif

Oh yes.

I guess you've seen his "No Cure for Cancer" show?

I guess you've seen his "No Cure for Cancer" show?

About twenty times!

About twenty times!

Don't think I've ever laughed as much as when watching that.

Love the stuff about his Dad fixing panelling over everything.

Ah now I remember :)

Monty python in it's day 73 and all that jazz but don't find it funny any more.

Around that time was Q5 with Spike milligan.

Any of you old timers remember Butterflies . God I used to fancy Wendy craig, well it was a close call between her and Olivia Newton John.

Then the humour seemed to take a turn and I giggled along with the subtleties of Griff Rees Jones and Mel Smith then

Mork and Mindy although it was Robin Williams with his fast talk humour that propelled it along.

As mentioned by others above. I went off Robin Williams when I saw his stage show on TV many moons ago and every other word was F this and F that, rather deflating as I remember after that.

After all these years though I still find Barry Cryer really quick witted on radio 4.

Anyways heres a bit more humour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eINGyJHz8&feature=related

I think Ken Dodd is very funny. And the Two Ronnies, especially their singing and dancing routines. the old music hall routine with Ronnie Barker swinging across the stage was a scream. :D